GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #331 of 1,160
The GR8 were nice but not "complete".  After them, I switched to the MC5 and found them just as good, really very very similar, but still "incomplete".  Neither were extended and impactful/dynamic enough for some music - electronic, etc.  They were ok with acoustic and vocals.  The MTPC offers that plus the full range - where nothing is lacking, dynamics are great, sound is cohesive, resolution and clarity is awesome, bass is tight and deep (not as deep and powerful as the MD but still very good).  Ergonomics are terrible.  Most everybody agrees Westone and Sennheiser have the best cables.  Westone UM series and Sennheiser IE are the most comfortable also.  Straight down is not too bad if the cable is good and the fit is tight enough.  The Shure Olive tips (moded - decored and then fitted with Monster SuperTips core), offer a pretty descent fit.  

If the GR10 has managed to be "complete" then they may be worthwhile - a significantly better extension and impact - similar to the MTPC/MD.  Just don't know as I haven't tried them.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #332 of 1,160
well maybe the 10s or the ortos (5 or 7s) would work for you. it'd be interesting if you get some of the aforementioned iems and shared your impressions. the coppers mids seemed a bit recessed and lifeless to me, and their bass didn't seem particularly impressive at the time to me either. i no longer have them though.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #333 of 1,160
Well, sensibility comes into play also.  There is no sense in having two pairs of $300-400 IEMs to complete the enjoyment of a broad range of music, as this is the price range of a good set of customs.  The MTPC gives enough of everything to eliminate the need for another universal.  That said - if the GR10 is better than the MTPC - it is no problem to "upgrade" to the GR10.  However, from the impressions shared here, this doesn't seem to be the case.  It would be nice to hear some impressions/comparisons to customs as well.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #335 of 1,160
Quote:
Well, sensibility comes into play also.  There is no sense in having two pairs of $300-400 IEMs to complete the enjoyment of a broad range of music, as this is the price range of a good set of customs.  The MTPC gives enough of everything to eliminate the need for another universal.  That said - if the GR10 is better than the MTPC - it is no problem to "upgrade" to the GR10.  However, from the impressions shared here, this doesn't seem to be the case.  It would be nice to hear some impressions/comparisons to customs as well.

strongly agreed about the sensibility part. another sensibility difference is regarding the 'sense of having two pairs of $300-400 iems' - this is head-fi after all, where more can be merrier
wink.gif
. woody's got the right attitude
biggrin.gif
hmmm, i've read this thread differently than you apparently. what i've seen is great enthusiasm for what some (often experienced) listeners seem to regard as perhaps their favorite universal iem to date. my brief listen to the eq5s (more listening time to come) showed them to be more engaging than the coppers, particularly because the ortofons (grado cousin) seemed to have life there, which i don't recall the monsters having.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #336 of 1,160
Sorry for double post, but anyone up there who compared them to full size portables at the same or any price range? I own Hippo VB and you can say anything you want, but when they are amped they do sound really good, not so without, but they are like USD 90 or something, so, to me jumping up to USD400 must be like upgrading from SR80 to RS2, at least, you know what I mean.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #337 of 1,160

Quote:
Sorry for double post, but anyone up there who compared them to full size portables at the same or any price range? I own Hippo VB and you can say anything you want, but when they are amped they do sound really good, not so without, but they are like USD 90 or something, so, to me jumping up to USD400 must be like upgrading from SR80 to RS2, at least, you know what I mean.

I own the Hippo VB as well and they absolutely rock. They are loads of fun !!!
Unfortunately though they are not in the same league as the GR10, Not even close.
Grado has been around for as long as I can remember. The SR60 to this day is listed as Stereophile's Recommended Component.
Like that guy from SouthPark would say "Grado is good m'kay"

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #339 of 1,160

Well, they should be and you know what, I tried every Grado up there, except PS1000 en SR60, kind of funny...

Quote:
Quote:

I own the Hippo VB as well and they absolutely rock. They are loads of fun !!!
Unfortunately though they are not in the same league as the GR10, Not even close.
Grado has been around for as long as I can remember. The SR60 to this day is listed as Stereophile's Recommended Component.
Like that guy from SouthPark would say "Grado is good m'kay"

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #340 of 1,160
Quote:
Anyone knows how they compare to the new E-Q5 or Final Audio Heaven S ?

James444 has posted about some of this in both this thread and the e-Q5 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519801/grado-gr10-reviews-first-impressions-thread/255#post_7171013
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519801/grado-gr10-reviews-first-impressions-thread/270#post_7187797
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448149/final-audio-earphones/15#post_7245862

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #342 of 1,160
So, I have obtained a GR10 to test and maybe keep.  First of all, they are better than the GR8 (from memory) and exhibit very similar trends while improving on extension and punch/dynamics.  Both are somewhat mid centric and quite enjoyable especially with vocal and acoustic music.  The GR10, actually has enough bass punch and extension to be suitable for techno but the slight drawback is that it gets a bit congested with complex passages (just like the GR8).  Mine are not fully burned in yet, so maybe that will improve with time.  Also, they don't like high volume where they become rather shrill.  In direct comparison to my MTPC, they actually seem to be perhaps a little "clearer" but that's perhaps they are lighter in the bass/mid-bass area.  The MPTC, however, has an even greater punch and dynamics.  Both are very clear for IEMs and quite detailed.  The MTPC are more neutral and more balanced to me.  The GR10 again are just a touch mid centric which works fine with vocal acoustic and jazz but not so much with electronica, techno, etc. music that has a LOT of different instruments and sounds simultaneously.  Also, the sparkle is there but is a bit anemic at this point.  I like them.  They are very nice indeed but not by any stretch the "holy grail" of IEMs as some might have you believe.  Yet, in the universal IEM world, they are some of the better maybe some of then best (not the best as they are none that are).  I am not sure whether I'll keep them yet, burn in will help make the decision, also the fact that they don't come with a built in mic is a drawback.  They are very comfortable and light, however.  Not bad at all. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #343 of 1,160
Give them time the move is subtle but but they get more extended and less congested over some time. What I found interseting is how easily you can tell the differences between sources and firmwares etc. I've often found that when I think I've got a handle on them, I'm actually listening to a source character.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #344 of 1,160

Quote:
Give them time the move is subtle but but they get more extended and less congested over some time. What I found interseting is how easily you can tell the differences between sources and firmwares etc. I've often found that when I think I've got a handle on them, I'm actually listening to a source character.

Yea, I would agree.  I DO NOT believe in burn-in but as far as these "moving armatures" go, I certainly felt that they "smoothed out" after about 20 hours.  You can check my profile  to see the other IEM's I have owned but I can attest that I found the GR10 to be the clear #1 IEM as far as acoustic and vocal music.  Just phenommenal.  So if this is mainly what you listen to, look no further.  It kills the top end Westones and Shures by a good margin.

But my JH13's just may have taken over the GR10 but it's not really a fair fight.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #345 of 1,160
Thanks, I plan on letting them burn in fully to a 100 hours before making a final call.  I've used them with variety of sources - iPhone unmapped, iPod 160GB unmapped and amped with T3, MacBook Pro with Apogee One and unamped/(un-Daced?!).  They sound good either way albeit slightly different as can be expected but the main sound sig remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back