GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #106 of 1,160
After selling my Bithead, my TF10s, and taking a coffee can to Coinstar, I ordered the GR10s today... got the tracking #, should be here Monday! 
biggrin.gif
  Just in time for the ~10 hours of train riding I'll be doing next week. 

@goodvibes, they really are tiny, aren't they? They must be a third of the size of the TF10s I just sold. They even make my SCL4s look big.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #108 of 1,160

Hey Spyro,

Just read that you like warmth in IEMs and a fair amount of bass. Would you recommend the GR10s for someone who is very fond of bass? 
Quote:

Quote:

Great impressions.  Agree burn-in on the GR8 did nothing for me.  Kept hoping and praying.  Nada.  I will say 10% more bass and 20% more treble compared to the GR8 w/ uber clarity makes these sound like winners.  Did you ever hear the DBA?  I wonder who wins on clarity and transparency there.

So are they still that minty green?  
confused.gif

Definitely much more treble, not so sure about the bass without doing an A/B but Grado is saying their certainly is.  It's not much more if there is.  Again, the extra treble and extra overall transparency is the key difference over GR8.

Every time I think I want an IEM with more treble energy, I end up proving myself wrong.  I think since I listen somewhat loudly, the trebly IEM's tend to give be listening fatigue rather quickly.  While I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, I do prefer a slightly heavier and warmer sound.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #109 of 1,160

Quote:
Run em in before the trip. You won't be sorry. Did you get a listen?

No, I haven't had a chance to see or hear them yet (size comments are based on my GR8 which I believe is the same housing).

I'll run them on my laptop overnight after I get them...

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #110 of 1,160

Quote:
 I also personally believe that all three use unique drivers though of similar construction. Will be interested to hear comparisons.

Yes, I guess they use what is known as a "moving armature" which is something I thought Grado had mislabeled when I purchased the GR8.

What a moving armature is I must admit, I have no idea. What I do know is the music from the the GR8 is more lifelike than my other iems.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #112 of 1,160
I personally don't think the Final's are MAs but that's neither here nor there when it comes to sound. Only the result matters and that's been reported as also very good.
normal_smile .gif
I'm sure something will have weightier bass or more pristine treble but these should be competitive with anything outside of the best customs depending on preference. Nothing is everyones cup of tea.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #114 of 1,160

Quote:
After selling my Bithead, my TF10s, and taking a coffee can to Coinstar, I ordered the GR10s today... got the tracking #, should be here Monday! 
biggrin.gif
  Just in time for the ~10 hours of train riding I'll be doing next week. 

@goodvibes, they really are tiny, aren't they? They must be a third of the size of the TF10s I just sold. They even make my SCL4s look big.

If they are the same size as the GR8 which they seem to be, the GR8 was one of the best fitting, tiniest and cleanest form factors I've ever put in my ears.  They are a dream to wear IMO.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #115 of 1,160

Quote:
Well, thinking is one thing. But the specs show that they are MA's... So that's out of the question :)

Thinking for oneself is a good thing.
biggrin.gif
Show me where. http://final-audio-design.com/earphone07.html  The Fl-BA-SS  which is of the same design as the others is actually too small to use the MAs that we're already aware of and I don't think it coincidence that BA is in the product names. It's still up for debate but they call them balanced drivers, clearly picture a BA in the cut away where the BAM is shown as an acronym for the housing air movement and not the driver.
 As I've said, it doesn't matter in terms of goodness or reviews and shouldn't affect a purchase but there's nothing but opinion that would make you think Finals ar MA.

The Finals are no more MAs than the GR10 is good because I think so. Strictly opinion until we have some proof one way or another.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #116 of 1,160

Quote:
Hey Spyro,

Just read that you like warmth in IEMs and a fair amount of bass. Would you recommend the GR10s for someone who is very fond of bass? 
Quote:

Quote:

Great impressions.  Agree burn-in on the GR8 did nothing for me.  Kept hoping and praying.  Nada.  I will say 10% more bass and 20% more treble compared to the GR8 w/ uber clarity makes these sound like winners.  Did you ever hear the DBA?  I wonder who wins on clarity and transparency there.

So are they still that minty green?  
confused.gif

Definitely much more treble, not so sure about the bass without doing an A/B but Grado is saying their certainly is.  It's not much more if there is.  Again, the extra treble and extra overall transparency is the key difference over GR8.

Every time I think I want an IEM with more treble energy, I end up proving myself wrong.  I think since I listen somewhat loudly, the trebly IEM's tend to give be listening fatigue rather quickly.  While I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, I do prefer a slightly heavier and warmer sound.

Of all IEM's I have owned these have seemed to change over time (even though I probably only have 20 hours or so on them) more than all others.  Everything has smoothed out over time, particularly the treble.  The posted comments above are my very early impressions.

If you like your bass I might avoid the GR10.  It is a bit more than GR8 and certainly more than ER4/HF5, but it is not at the level of other multi-driver IEM's I have heard.  But once you get use to it, your ears seems to tell you it is just about right and what it should be.  Goodvibes is right in saying that any more extension in any single area would probably tilt these IEMs off of balance.  There is a decent amount of fullness and bass as they are but very smooth and balanced all the way around.  And again, I do EQ them even a slightly fuller sound.  So if you do not require big bass GR10 should satisfy you in every way.  Really hard to take them out of your ears.  They sound beautiful.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #117 of 1,160
Sounds right but I think the qualifier should be extra bass. It sounds just right to me and I do find ETs lacking. I would say these have a very similar amount to the 535 but without quite as much mid bleed and better character but subtley so. You still have both and my audition of the 535 was short and over a month back. Do you think that about right? Time on them may also get you/us a bit more. Mine actually sound very slightly thick on my touch but that's what that DAP phone out sounds like. Line out is VG. I'm getting a Fiio E1 for a better amp out. I still want easy portability and that amp is practically non existant and attached.
normal_smile .gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #118 of 1,160

Quote:
Sounds right but I think the qualifier should be extra bass. It sounds just right to me and I do find ETs lacking. I would say these have a very similar amount to the 535 but without quite as much mid bleed and better character but subtley so. You still have both and my audition of the 535 was short and over a month back. Do you think that about right? Time on them may also get you/us a bit more. Mine actually sound very slightly thick on my touch but that's what that DAP phone out sounds like. Line out is VG. I'm getting a Fiio E1 for a better amp out. I still want easy portability and that amp is practically non existant and attached.
normal_smile .gif

Sold my SE535's.  I still thought the SE535 had just a hair more bass (or mid bass) but as much as SE535 clarity is over SE530, the GR10 seems to peel away an entire new layer of clarity and the improved transparency and air is what sold me over the SE535.  I would be stunned if anyone chose SE535 over GR10 for vocals after comparing side by side. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #119 of 1,160
I can see that. Mine have a bit less midbass today and have opened up even more. For my tastes, this is a good thing and makes the low bass slightly more apparent in the mix. If anything they sound more even but snappier at the same time. No longer sound as smooth through touch. The character of the player is still there but the extra freedom to the sound has me not thinking about it at all unless I listen for it. To those that buy or try, please give them enough time to come into their own before you make a decision. Anybody that doesn't believe in break in should hear a fresh pair of these compared to a  run in set.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #120 of 1,160
thanks for sharing your experiences. i think they may have a hit on their hands. i spoke to Grado about the possibility of sending demos to the NY meet but they're sold out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back