GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Oct 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #31 of 1,160
Great stuff Spyro!  Way to address the grainy mids as well on the GR8.  Sounds like something that might actually pique my interests against the DBA.  How is the quality and body to the notes?  Does it sound more 2D or 3D with each note?  Not to be confused w/ SS and imaging for others reading this.  How's the energy also?  More attack and aggression or laid back?  Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #32 of 1,160
I really want to try these.... I thought my GR8s cured my upgraditis - in part because the comfort and form factor is so perfect for my ears, I just love wearing them so much more compared to all the other IEMs I've tried. But they just had to go and give us substantially improved sound in an identical housing!  My only hesitance is if they really have more bass than the GR8s I'm not sure how much I'd like that... the GR8s are already a hair on the warm side for my taste. I'll wait for the frequency chart comparisons...

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #33 of 1,160

Quote:
I really want to try these.... I thought my GR8s cured my upgraditis - in part because the comfort and form factor is so perfect for my ears, I just love wearing them so much more compared to all the other IEMs I've tried. But they just had to go and give us substantially improved sound in an identical housing!  My only hesitance is if they really have more bass than the GR8s I'm not sure how much I'd like that... the GR8s are already a hair on the warm side for my taste. I'll wait for the frequency chart comparisons...

x2 on the comfort and form factor.  Loved the GR8 for that.  I also liked the understated black.  Honselty my DBA gets me more satisfying bass impact than the GR8 did and has great clarity.  I don't buy into more bass = more warmth argument myself.  The GR10 doesn't sound warm from reading Spyros impressions.  I think he said they are less warm than the 535 which to me is far less warm or dark than the GR8.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #34 of 1,160
It's too bad you haven't heard the e-Q7 Spyro. Those were one of my favorite earphones minus the occasional fit issue. If the GR10 is close but with a much better fit I might have to give these a go. I think when AC Gears have these in stock (assuming they will stock them as they have the GR8) I'll have to try them out.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #35 of 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take an ER4P and add about 10-15% more bass, a slightly more forward midrange, but give it a much more musical and harmonic presentation and you have the GR10.

I gotta admit I was interested until you mentioned this...I found nothing to my liking about my (now sold) ER-4Ps. My wallet thanks you!
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 1,160
Anaxilus - It is not a laid back sound.  It is lively and leans towards bright.  Even with slightly more bass it is brighter than GR8.  You hear an immediate difference in this regard.  It' sounds refreshing.  You feel you are missing absolutely nothing from the recording.

Macedonian Hero - LOL!  Glad I am saving your wallet.  I was an Ety fan until about 5 years ago when the sound of IEM's improved with multi-drivers.  I think the Ety  transients are somewhat poor and slow when the music gets "busy".  GR10 driver handles this effortlessly.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #37 of 1,160

Quote:

Macedonian Hero - LOL!  Glad I am saving your wallet.  I was an Ety fan until about 5 years ago when the sound of IEM's improved with multi-drivers.  I think the Ety  transients are somewhat poor and slow when the music gets "busy".  GR10 driver handles this effortlessly.

Thanks Sypro...I hope to audition a pair some time in the future...but my SE535s are staying....I find the mids just to seductive. Enjoy your new IEMs!

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #38 of 1,160
Nice first impressions, thanks @Spyro! Seems to me like moving armatures are finally building momentum. Having heard four MA based IEMs now (e-Q7, FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-SS), I'm a firm believer in this still young technology and convinced that MAs will play a prominent role in shaping the future of IEMs.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #39 of 1,160

Quote:
Nice first impressions, thanks @Spyro! Seems to me like moving armatures are finally building momentum. Having heard four MA based IEMs now (e-Q7, FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-SS), I'm a firm believer in this still young technology and convinced that MAs will play a prominent role in shaping the future of IEMs.
smile_phones.gif

Yeah the physics just makes sense.  Sadly the GR8 was too imature IMO.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #40 of 1,160
given some of the early enthusiasm for the RE262s i'm curious as to how they sound, fit, feel etc compared to the Grados. Anaxilus, you're not curious enough to break yours out and spend some time with the stock 262s?

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #41 of 1,160
How does GR10's sound signature compare to the full-sized Grados?

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #42 of 1,160

Quote:
How does GR10's sound signature compare to the full-sized Grados?

I'm not a good person to ask since I haven't had a pair of headphones on in years.  If you were to email Grado, I'm sure they could tell you which headphone in their line-up the GR10 represents most.  I'm guessing it would be way up in the heirarchy.

As far as the build quality, the housing is metal and one piece, not a snap together so it is unbreakable.  The strain reliefs going into the housing seem VERY sturdy.

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #43 of 1,160

Quote:
I'm not a good person to ask since I haven't had a pair of headphones on in years.  If you were to email Grado, I'm sure they could tell you which headphone in their line-up the GR10 represents most.  I'm guessing it would be way up in the heirarchy  
As far as the build quality, the housing is metal and one piece, not a snap together so it is unbreakable.  The strain reliefs going into the housing seem VERY sturdy.

i'd be interested to hear if anyone actually gets a meaningful response from grado on this one. i think we're more likely to get that kind of feedback within our own membership here on h-f.

are the other 2 grado iems, the gr8 and igi, built to this level? the durability factor is certainly attractive. i have to wonder if a metal casing will become uncomfortable in very cold or hot weather, eh?

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #44 of 1,160

Quote:
given some of the early enthusiasm for the RE262s i'm curious as to how they sound, fit, feel etc compared to the Grados. Anaxilus, you're not curious enough to break yours out and spend some time with the stock 262s?

Nope, I have 262 drivers so I'd rather exercise some restraint.  I'm more concerned w/ getting those to work properly.  I have my warm mid centric IEM so I'm pretty satisfied and looking to other projects.  
wink_face.gif

The GR10 is intriguing though.  Still need to hear the FX700 as well.

So these are metal housings huh.  Hmm, SR325 IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back