Grado Fan Club!
Mar 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #6,451 of 65,639
Quote:
Hey guys, 

I recently did some testing of various headphones and found out I'm a Grado guy. I posted a small comparison under the 57 headphone flagships compared that was made by David. I'm a really big fan of the PS500 and haven't heard anything like it. Is there any other headphone out there that sounds like this? Any recommendations of where to buy in Toronto/GTA? Any great comparison tests or reviews you guys recommend I read up on? 

Thanks!!! 

Did you also compare the PS500 to the PS1000?  If so how did they differ?

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #6,452 of 65,639
Quote:
Thinking of getting Grados, opinions on sr80i model?

Definitely can't go wrong with a pair of SR80i's. I used to own them, now I own the 325is, but I''m going to purchase another pair of 80's to listen to when I'm on the computer, and leave my 325's with the home audio.
They are really great headphones, especiallly for 99$U.S.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #6,453 of 65,639

Quote:
Thinking of getting Grados, opinions on sr80i model?

Quote:
I think it is an awesome set of headphones, especially if it is your first Grado.....you can then decide if you like the sound signature without breaking the bank...if you live in the U.S. a new pair will only set you back $99

Many say that it is the best bang for the buck of any headphone.

They are good, I got the sr80i and one year later I was buying the sr325.

You can also get an L-cush for $20 and you will have two headphones in one. The L-cush will improve soundstage, make the sound more detailed and a little brighter (imho).

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #6,454 of 65,639
Just curious--what is your reasoning for putting the L-Cush on them? I've used the L-Cush, and I personally think that it kills the experience because it makes listening so uncomfortable! The L-Cush literally scrunches your ears directly up against the flat, tough caging of the drivers with no padding whatsoever.

Does it provide a cleaner sound than the S-Cush does? Maybe it's just me, but I can't distinguish a difference between the two aside from the far superior level of comfort that the S-Cush offers. I've also used the S-Cush (on my SR60i of course) and they are SO much more pleasing against your ears than that awful plastic caging around the driver that you're exposed to when using the L-Cush. 

This seems exaggerated. Different ears and heads, I guess, but I don't find the L's uncomfortable at all with my 325’s. My ears aren't scrunched on the "awful plastic caging" in any way.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,457 of 65,639
Grado maniacs, I'm taking a break from stats and going back to dynamics for a while.

Currently I'm enjoying this setup: Violectric V800 + Phonitor + HP1.

There's no words to describe how good it sounds, I don't miss them stats at all. In fact I could live with this setup happily ever after .

In fact it's so good I'm thinking of getting me another HP1000. What an amazing can!

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6,458 of 65,639
Quote:
sr60i VS sr80i?

Both are a great choice, depends on what you want to spend...$79  vs  $99

My buddy has the SR 60i and he bought some L cushions for them, so he now has original cushions and L cushions and has less than $100 in them.

He has used them for about 18 months now, without any mention of upgrading...so I believe he is pretty content.

I think the SR80i has a tad more bass, but it really depends on how each individual hears them to be honest.....more expensive is not always better.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #6,461 of 65,639
Quote:
I don't quite understand why Grado sells the sr80 with flat cushions instead of L cushions, the only reason might be them sounding non-aggressive for first time listeners.Well

Well, I believe that it helps keep the cost down also, which is a pretty good idea.

I mean to get a good quality set of phones that sound as good as they do for so little is a great thing, as you can easily pay more for phones that don't sound as good, imho.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6,464 of 65,639
Quote:
The key to comfort with L-Cush pads is bending the headband to relieve clamping force. I have a larger head, and so I bent my headband quite a bit so that the earpads rest very gently on my ears, and comfort is never an issue! But when I first started out with Grado, I had comfort-trouble with L-Cush until I bent the headband apart - rather aggressively so (for my large head).

Sound quality increases significantly to my ears. Soundstage is far more defined and focused. Bass, likewise, gains definition. Overall more clarity to the sound. Honestly, the biggest factor in sound improvement from the lower models to the SR225i and SR325is is the difference in stock pads. Put some L-Cush on the lower models and they sound dangerously close to the higher models.

Thanks for your explanation--I see the logic in that. With my SR60i, I used the same method, and it seemed to relax them a bit. Is there a specific method that you used to loosen them up, or will just stretching them out work fine? Should I stretch them out at regular intervals (e.g. every time I put them on), or maybe have something hold them open for a few days?

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #6,465 of 65,639
I would have to think that anyone complaining about their ears touching the speaker grills would have to definitely have the headphones way too tight!!!

I was thinking the same thing. I have a XXL hat size. Didn't have to bend the headband or anything like that with the SR225i. They work fine. Although the L-Cush pads were more comfortable after washing with soap and water and wearing a little. Softened 'em up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back