Grado Fan Club!
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5,671 of 65,634
So guys, the day has come. I officially miss my Grados, and kind of regret getting rid of them. The only thing that still gets to me is their comfort, which is why I haven't picked up another pair yet. I love my HE-300s for that, but I miss that forward sound that makes Rock oh-so tasty 
biggrin.gif
. I think I will end up getting another pair at some point, but for now I don't have the money. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,672 of 65,634
Quote:
For MacOSX the choice of audio software is rather large :
- Audirvana (works in bitperfect, integrates in itunes and allows to add FLAC to an itunes playlists),
- Amarra (completely over priced),
- Decibel (needs some further improvement : last time I tried it the audio signal experienced some cuts now and then whatever the USB plug/cable I was using)
- Bitperfect (I haven't tried this one, available only in the app store)
A review on 6moons : http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/players/1.html

I use XLD as an encoder for my mac to create ALAC files. Works like a charm. 

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

The only downside is that XLD is less forgiving with cds that have scratches/wear and tear on them. iTunes doesn't have that problem but I believe you do get a better, more accurate rip with XLD. 

Also for you mac users, try adjusting your mini settings in Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup. You can change the Audio output for headphones or speakers or anything connected to the audio out from 44.1hz to 96hz. Also from 16 to 24 bit. Give this a try to see what you guys think. As with everything else related to audio, YMMV.

In terms of grados, I own the 225i and couldn't be happier. I also own the 80i but they don't get that much use. Did the tape mod on both and it does help just enough to add a small but noticeable leap in bass for my taste. I also own the ATH PRO500. The older version, not the MK series out now. I know most people gravitate towards the PRO 700's but the 500's aren't that bad. 

One day I'd like to get the higher end models like the PS500 but it's just not in the budget right now.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #5,673 of 65,634
Quote:
So guys, the day has come. I officially miss my Grados, and kind of regret getting rid of them. The only thing that still gets to me is their comfort, which is why I haven't picked up another pair yet. I love my HE-300s for that, but I miss that forward sound that makes Rock oh-so tasty 
biggrin.gif
. I think I will end up getting another pair at some point, but for now I don't have the money. 

Toll ya'.

Actually, I didn't tell you.

This is a pre-welcome back.
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #5,674 of 65,634
I've heard that the soundcard in Macs is pretty good, far better than most in PCs, with a bit less jitter. Regardless, in my experience, a cheap DAC (UD100, if you want to DIY, a skeletonDAC or grubDAC, all under $50, or even the Behringer UCA 202 or 222, which are ~$25) can really make things sound better. The use of numerous linear regulators eliminates the noise inherent in pc power supplies. Just a tip, and really, the most substantial upgrade I've made to my system yet (aside from Magnumifying my cans); source and transducer upgrades always seem to make the greatest difference.

True, I find the iMac sounds better , specially using the preamp/equalizer built into the iTunes.
Then a good DAC/Amp fine tune it better.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5,676 of 65,634
I use XLD as an encoder for my mac to create ALAC files. Works like a charm. 

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

The only downside is that XLD is less forgiving with cds that have scratches/wear and tear on them. iTunes doesn't have that problem but I believe you do get a better, more accurate rip with XLD. 

Also for you mac users, try adjusting your mini settings in Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup. You can change the Audio output for headphones or speakers or anything connected to the audio out from 44.1hz to 96hz. Also from 16 to 24 bit. Give this a try to see what you guys think. As with everything else related to audio, YMMV.

In terms of grados, I own the 225i and couldn't be happier. I also own the 80i but they don't get that much use. Did the tape mod on both and it does help just enough to add a small but noticeable leap in bass for my taste. I also own the ATH PRO500. The older version, not the MK series out now. I know most people gravitate towards the PRO 700's but the 500's aren't that bad. 

One day I'd like to get the higher end models like the PS500 but it's just not in the budget right now.

Thanks for the tip. i will check the midi setting tonight. :wink:. The PS500s is the jack of all music Genre... :D

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5,678 of 65,634
Quote:
People with grado ps 500 listen to their music collection :more than look for other headphones, am I right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I can certainly say I listen to my music with the PS500s more than I have ever listened to music before! 

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5,679 of 65,634
I finally got and setup the Toslink " SonicWave Glass"  cable and I can only say, it is clear as a transparent glass....  
biggrin.gif

But, it takes  Superman`s hearing ability to hear a big difference between the USB and Optical connection.  So far the cymbal is a lot clearer and more pronounced... 

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5,683 of 65,634
I have a pair of Martin Custom FWJ #8 with Magnum V4 that like and also have the he-400 that I like. I have to disagree that the he-400 sucks with rock ! However, we all hear things differently. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #5,684 of 65,634

at home listening to Daft Punk to pass the time till evening.

its kind of a coincidence that the song "High Fidelity" is playing while a pair of Grado SR80i's are perched on top...

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5,685 of 65,634
Hey guys...

Got the Martin Custom Audio gimbals and rodblocks installed on the GS1ks. Pics don't really do them justice since they have similar styling to the stock ones, but they are very nice. These are clearly fabricated with tremendous precision, and the work is very impressive. I will order the new headband from Headphone Lounge here shortly, and at that point they'll be all spiffy and beautiful. Well, they already are that....but perhaps just a bit more comfortable. Well...they already are comfortable...screw it, you guys know what I mean. 

I know some people will ask if the Martin stuff is worth the money. It just depends on your preferences, of course, but if you're like me and you have no problem paying for quality, even if it's not something you NEED, then yeah, they're worth it. I love the mini-screw assembly on the rodblocks that make it very easy to switch out and secure the headband, as well as keep the rods more secure within the blocks. That was getting a bit annoying to me cause with the stock stuff the cups would twist around like a teacup ride at the carnival, which would make a mess of the cables. That problem has been solved. 

Anyway, here's a quick pic...I'll take a better one once the headband is swapped out with the new one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back