Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5,311 of 65,629
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the Allesandro lowest model is basically an SR60 with one or more holes punched? Is there really any other difference?

I have no idea which driver it's taken from. But I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct. The bass on the MS1i is a bit warmer and more present than the SR60i, but also a bit muddier (which actually led me to suspect it was a SR60i / SR80i with holes punched). Also, the button is removed which may contribute to the wider soundstage. But the highs are most certainly easier on the ears. I don't know if this is due to driver tweaking or an effect of the *possible* punched holes / removed button.

Now I'm curious how my SR60i sounds with button removed...

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,312 of 65,629
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the Allesandro lowest model is basically an SR60 with one or more holes punched? Is there really any other difference?

if i not mistaken ms1 is based on SR125 driver tunned by alessandro cmiiw.. sooo... no,its not... soundstage,low,mids is different. first time i do A-B those cans, i noticed mids in ms1i is softer than sr60i...

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #5,314 of 65,629
Quote:
Quote:

if i not mistaken ms1 is based on SR125 driver tunned by alessandro cmiiw.. sooo... no,its not... soundstage,low,mids is different. first time i do A-B those cans, i noticed mids in ms1i is softer than sr60i...

There's a difference (other than matching) between the SR60 and SR125 driver?

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,315 of 65,629
I really hate that feeling where you're in the ballpark of what you're looking for, but can't quite seem to get it ALL right. As much as I enjoy seeing others discover a love for Grados, remember there are all sorts of great headphones out there. It may just be that Grados can't quite give you everything you're looking for, you know? No shame in that. This hobby wouldn't be as much fun for me if I didnt' dabble in other areas and play around with other gear. Grados are top of the class for me, but I get a ton of enjoyment out of my other gear, as well.

I think i got it right now. It took me 30 minutes to compare my RS1i , their demo PS500s and the RS2i.
I A/B them and here is what I noticed. RS2i has a better toned down mids and highs of the 325is , not piercing to the ears like the RS1i. RS2i does not have enough bass for me though. PS500 has a powerfull bass and close to RS2i . So I went home with the PS500s. For 30 minutes , i finally concluded that the PS500s is the jack of all trade.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #5,316 of 65,629
There's a difference (other than matching) between the SR60 and SR125 driver?

Tough to say - Grado says they are different but isn't more specific to consumers beyond that, at least tmk. Matching is not a "small thing" though - it can make a solid improvement in performance (staging, perceived FR, etc).

My guess is that it probably breaks down like their cartridges, so say they make multiple lines of drivers, use the RS-1 as an example, and say half of them can't become RS-1, so they become RS-2, or they make a lot of SR-325 and a lot can't become SR-325, so they become SR-225, and so on. But where the SR-125 would even fit into that is screwy...I also think Grado has at least indirectly denied this, but I don't see them making 10 completely different drivers (so they're probably inter-related to some extent).

I think there's also a housing difference with the SR-125 versus the SR-60/80. AFAIK I thought the basic Alessandro was SR-80 based though; just based on the price relationships between MS-2 and SR-325, and RS-1 and MS-Pro.

I think i got it right now. It took me 30 minutes to compare my RS1i , their demo PS500s and the RS2i.
I A/B them and here is what I noticed. RS2i has a better toned down mids and highs of the 325is , not piercing to the ears like the RS1i. RS2i does not have enough bass for me though. PS500 has a powerfull bass and close to RS2i . So I went home with the PS500s. For 30 minutes , i finally concluded that the PS500s is the jack of all trade.

And this makes me believe the PS-500 would sound dull or dark to me - since the RS-1 is nowhere near what I'd call "piericing." But naw, graphs tell us everything. :p

Glad you found one you like. One thing (and I know it's sacrilege on this hallowed ground, but whatever) you might consider, if Grado isn't giving you the bass or staging you want, Ultrasone would be a good side-path; they are similarly forward and energetic, but voiced very differently - it might get you what you want.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5,317 of 65,629
[quote name="Biscuitz" url="/t/530965/grado-fan-club/5325#post_8827065"]My experience with the RS1i and RS2i has been similar. I found both to sound very dynamic, but quite fatiguing. And, with no exaggeration, to my ears the SR60i (with L-Cush pads) is about 80% the quality of the RS1i and 85% the quality of the RS2i, while being less fatiguing and $400-600 cheaper. So needless to say, I also didn't stick with the Reference Series. Perhaps down the road I'll try the RS1i again with a good tube amp! You've auditioned the PS500's three times already? What has held you back? I've also heard three different pairs of the PS500, and my impression is that the mid-bass on it is just far too overpowering. It just doesn't sound balanced at all to my ears. For these reasons, I am really curious to try a Wood-housed Magnum V4. From what I've read the highs are detailed like Grados but without the sharpness, and the bass is powerful. If the bass is less prominent than the PS500's, but more prominent than the lower Prestige Series headphones, I think that'd be my perfect pair of headphones. I am saving up! [/quote] I almost walked out with a PS500s two weeks ago , but decided to get an SR235is so I can keep my V-Moda M100 pre-order. It was the price that held me back. For the price of PS500s I can have 2 cans for home and portable. BTW, I find the RS2i is less harsh on mids/highs compare to RS1i. I find it close to PS500 with lesser bass....the extra bass thump on the PS500s is my deciding factor between the RS2i and PS500s. I find the PS500s Lively Dark! :D

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #5,318 of 65,629
[quote name="Redstrand" url="/t/530965/grado-fan-club/5310#post_8826925"]Where at in Illinois? I need to demo some of these badly. [/quote]

There is a store in Evanston , Illinois called Audio Consultant. Davis st. They have several branches , but the largest one with full lineup of Grados is in Evanston. They have all Grados line up except the RS1i. They might let you try to demo the one that I just returned. Very nice collection of Shure and Grados. I demo all the current Grado lineup there already. If you want to go to their branches, call them and check if they have the phone for demo.

This is the demo room. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #5,319 of 65,629
Quote:

I'm actually glad that you found the RS-1s and PS500s to be that different, cause I would like to add the RS-1s to my little collection still. I'd rather they have different sound sigs as opposed to beign more similar.

congrats on the 500s...I'm sure you've probably see me say plenty of times that they're my favorite headphone...and it's hard for me to imagine that changing anytime soon, although the PS1ks are still out there waiting for me lol.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5,320 of 65,629
Quote:
And this makes me believe the PS-500 would sound dull or dark to me - since the RS-1 is nowhere near what I'd call "piericing." But naw, graphs tell us everything.
tongue.gif

Exactly...that's what I expected when I auditioned them, and it was why I really didn't think I'd like them as much as my other Grados...I don't really like a dark signature, and certainly wouldn't tolerate "dull"....so I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't sound like I anticipated they would.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #5,322 of 65,629
Quote:

I'm actually glad that you found the RS-1s and PS500s to be that different, cause I would like to add the RS-1s to my little collection still. I'd rather they have different sound sigs as opposed to beign more similar.

congrats on the 500s...I'm sure you've probably see me say plenty of times that they're my favorite headphone...and it's hard for me to imagine that changing anytime soon, although the PS1ks are still out there waiting for me lol.

Thanks!  I believe you.  I did try the PS1000 there for the second time today , since I have few Grado sound signatures in my memory now,  that one is AWESOME!  It just too big for my head and wallet... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #5,323 of 65,629
Quote:
Tough to say - Grado says they are different but isn't more specific to consumers beyond that, at least tmk. Matching is not a "small thing" though - it can make a solid improvement in performance (staging, perceived FR, etc).
My guess is that it probably breaks down like their cartridges, so say they make multiple lines of drivers, use the RS-1 as an example, and say half of them can't become RS-1, so they become RS-2, or they make a lot of SR-325 and a lot can't become SR-325, so they become SR-225, and so on. But where the SR-125 would even fit into that is screwy...I also think Grado has at least indirectly denied this, but I don't see them making 10 completely different drivers (so they're probably inter-related to some extent).
I think there's also a housing difference with the SR-125 versus the SR-60/80. AFAIK I thought the basic Alessandro was SR-80 based though; just based on the price relationships between MS-2 and SR-325, and RS-1 and MS-Pro.
And this makes me believe the PS-500 would sound dull or dark to me - since the RS-1 is nowhere near what I'd call "piericing." But naw, graphs tell us everything.
tongue.gif

Glad you found one you like. One thing (and I know it's sacrilege on this hallowed ground, but whatever) you might consider, if Grado isn't giving you the bass or staging you want, Ultrasone would be a good side-path; they are similarly forward and energetic, but voiced very differently - it might get you what you want.

The PS500S still has a clear mids and high, but I bit farther away from the source.  I find it dark if you listen to a more bassy songs, but mids and highs are perfect for vocals, specially female ones that sings with guitars.  Female voices are  natural compare to the RS1i sharp sound.  I much prefer the 325is perfect blending of mids and highs than the RS1i .  The RS1i might be better with tube amp, which I never got a chance to do and compare.  I am currently broke right now for an amp.

I am enjoying the PS500s now. It is true the ps500s has that tube like sound signature...  I am loving it so far.  You can throw any Genre of music and it handles pretty well!

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5,324 of 65,629
Quote:
  I am currently broke right now for an amp.

Well, you picked the right headphones for that! lol  The 500s sound great with basically any source.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,325 of 65,629
Quote:
I can do dark, but not dull.
redface.gif

But I'm coming to realize that I seem to preference "insanely bright" by most people's standards.
tongue.gif

If there is a thread that proves that we all hear differently, this has got to be the one. I keep seeing people talk about how powerful the bass is on the 500s, but for some reason it just doesn't sound that way to me. We can all listen to the same headphone and describe it quite a few different ways. It's tempting to just chalk it up to the fact that I'm some sort of weirdo who doesn't find Grados uncomfortable and finds the PS500s pretty well balanced in their presentation (in spite of the FR), but I try to just imagine we're all a little weird in our own special way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back