Grado Fan Club!
Oct 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5,041 of 65,633
I tried the Grados many times for walks, ambient soaks through so much I find myself wearing the HD25-1 IIs now.  I can keep the volume lower while still being able to hear my music perfectly plus the 1/8 jack.
Love my Grado family very much but not for isolation.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #5,042 of 65,633
I will be cancelling my V -Moda M-100 pre order and heading to Grado authorized dealer to pick up a PS500!
I cannot wait! I heard that I need to sample at least 3 units bec. there are bit of inconsistency of sound (specially bass) on the same model.

Excellent choice! The 500 was my first Grado and my favorite all-around headphone. That said, the RS1 is fast becoming my choice for acoustic and jazz.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5,043 of 65,633
i really like my SR60i, with a Fiio really rocks
dt880smile.png

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,045 of 65,633
Excellent choice! The 500 was my first Grado and my favorite all-around headphone. That said, the RS1 is fast becoming my choice for acoustic and jazz.

So I went out and audtioned some Grados for the second time on PS500, 3rd on the SR225i and SR325i. I asked the sales guy to hand me a box of PS500 so I can hear the actual unit that I am buying. I compared the new unit to the demo PS500 and love the sound. I was really ready to buy the PS500, but while he was writing down my info on the bill, I asked him again if I can check the SR225 and SR325 side by side I listened for both, and I definitely hear a solid bass from the SR325i compare to the SR225i. The last time I demo both was 4 weeks ago and I am certain that I heard more bass on the SR225i than the big brother SR325i. I wonder if there are huge bass sound discrepency even on the same model?

The PS500 seems to have a better bass, but the singer seems to be distant... I find the SR325i has enough bass and the singer is a lot closer to my ear. So I decided to cancel the PS500 even though the guy opened the box already. I went home with the SR325i and currently enjoying it

Spandau Ballet song "True" brings out a nice bass and clarity from my SR325i. I am so impressed!

And I do not have to cancel my pre-order of the V-Moda M-100, since the price of the PS500 is the same with the SR325i and VModa M-100 combined...

Grado for home use and Vmoda for travel...

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5,046 of 65,633
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

So I went out and audtioned some Grados for the second time on PS500, 3rd on the SR225i and SR325i. I asked the sales guy to hand me a box of PS500 so I can hear the actual unit that I am buying. I compared the new unit to the demo PS500 and love the sound. I was really ready to buy the PS500, but while he was writing down my info on the bill, I asked him again if I can check the SR225 and SR325 side by side I listened for both, and I definitely hear a solid bass from the SR325i compare to the SR225i. The last time I demo both was 4 weeks ago and I am certain that I heard more bass on the SR225i than the big brother SR325i. I wonder if there are huge bass sound discrepency even on the same model?

The PS500 seems to have a better bass, but the singer seems to be distant... I find the SR325i has enough bass and the singer is a lot closer to my ear. So I decided to cancel the PS500 even though the guy opened the box already. I went home with the SR325i and currently enjoying it

Spandau Ballet song "True" brings out a nice bass and clarity from my SR325i. I am so impressed!

And I do not have to cancel my pre-order of the V-Moda M-100, since the price of the PS500 is the same with the SR325i and VModa M-100 combined...

Good choice!

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #5,047 of 65,633
Quote:

as much as I love the PS500s, I think that's a GREAT solution! Those new V-Modas look fantastic, and having both of them will give you a ton of enjoyment....you basically proved why I have decided to only buy Grados from my local dealer from this point forward...being able to do exactly what you did is the way to go. The 325s are awesome headphones, and you'll have what looks to be a great portable, to boot....well done! :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #5,048 of 65,633
Quote:

According to John Grado,you can't have wide soundstage,and an intimate midrange,i agree with him,my first generation GS1000s,have a huge soundstage,but the voices are very distant,my HP1000,have a more intimate midrange,but they also have a narrower sounstage,i guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5,049 of 65,633
According to John Grado,you can't have wide soundstage,and an intimate midrange,i agree with him,my first generation GS1000s,have a huge soundstage,but the voices are very distant,my HP1000,have a more intimate midrange,but they also have a narrower sounstage,i guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I do not understand? Why would I pay an extra $300 if I have to sit and listen to from row 20 ? :D

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #5,050 of 65,633
Quote:
I do not understand? Why would I pay an extra $300 if I have to sit and listen to from row 20 ?
biggrin.gif

I use my GS1000 whenever i listen concerts on DVD's or to live cd recordings,wich more often than not is played in large venues,they definately do a better job at reproducing those types of recordings than the RS1i's would.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #5,051 of 65,633

Interesting. Makes sense when I start looking at my current headphones in this light. The most tonally seductive have the smallest overall sound-stage, and the best at staging, have the least tonal perfection. Which is all hinged on the mids imho. This makes the RS-1 look so much more...sophisticated...in light of this. They walk that very thin line between good staging and good mids/tonality. :D

I do not understand? Why would I pay an extra $300 if I have to sit and listen to from row 20 ? :D

Because "intimate midrange" isn't always everyone's cup of tea, and there is no objective or absolute best. Some people prefer a large soundstage, some do not. There's also the question of the type of music being played, and how a given listener likes that presentation. For example there are some things that I don't like the RS-1 best for, and other things that I wouldn't take any other can in the world for. Or more simply, what you like, isn't necessarily what someone else likes.

Regarding the inconsistency point - I get a strong "over-thinking" or "hyper-vigilant" vibe from your posts. There is a degree of inconsistency with any headphone, but with higher end sets, in general, I think it's safe to say that it's a fairly narrow window. Especially with headphones that are made in small batches or individually (like Grados), where QC is worked into the manufacturing. The only way to really get an insight into consistency would be to have hands on a large number of sets (more than three), and objective measurement equipment. That seems like a lot of hassle to me. I'd say get the pair you want, try it out at home for a while against the equipment you have, and if you aren't satisfied or if there's an issue with the pair of cans, take it up with the retailer or manufacturer (and Grado is thankfully one of the best in the business when it comes to customer service, and most of their dealers (like J&R and so on) are generally great too). This isn't meant to insult you, I can certainly understand the consternation, I'm just hoping to help prevent some hair-pulling out. :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5,052 of 65,633
My two cents: I do not find the midrange or vocals to be "distant" on my PS500 or RS1. These days I do a lot of my listening on this setup: imac>lossless files>24 bit asynch dac>Bellari HA540 tube amp w/NOS 5751 Mazda valve>Grados. The PS500 does have accentuated mid-bass & slightly rolled-off treble, but vocals and midrange are not lacking at all. With the RS1 the bass is clear as a bell and goes incredibly deep (this was what most surprised me) vocals are present and accounted for with the most wonderful clarity you can imagine. I have had or still have Sennheiser 650, AKG Q701, V-Moda Crossfade M80, Audio Technica, etc, as well as UE & Shure iems. All I can tell you is these Grados have made me want no other headphones for serious listening. Granted that Mazda tube has a lot to do with the sound quality (it should for what it cost). As others have stated on this thread, there is a level of sound quality one reaches at that $600 price point!

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #5,053 of 65,633
Quote:
My two cents: I do not find the midrange or vocals to be "distant" on my PS500 or RS1. These days I do a lot of my listening on this setup: imac>lossless files>24 bit asynch dac>Bellari HA540 tube amp w/NOS 5751 Mazda valve>Grados. The PS500 does have accentuated mid-bass & slightly rolled-off treble, but vocals and midrange are not lacking at all. With the RS1 the bass is clear as a bell and goes incredibly deep (this was what most surprised me) vocals are present and accounted for with the most wonderful clarity you can imagine. I have had or still have Sennheiser 650, AKG Q701, V-Moda Crossfade M80, Audio Technica, etc, as well as UE & Shure iems. All I can tell you is these Grados have made me want no other headphones for serious listening. Granted that Mazda tube has a lot to do with the sound quality (it should for what it cost). As others have stated on this thread, there is a level of sound quality one reaches at that $600 price point!

Given your setup with your PS500, I think you got a point, but both PS500s that i tried (the demo which is probably burnt in already and the brand new one that I asked them to open)  both sounds farther away.  I guess these bigger soundstage headphones needs to have a better Amp? The SR325is is like in your face and the bass punch is decent enough =)   

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #5,054 of 65,633
Great post, Obob...spot on. 

Stacker: I don't know what your views on burn-in are...I've never really believed it made any sort of significant difference....but I would swear that these GS1ks have burned in a bit over the first week and a half...I still havent been able to give them the chance to sound their best since I got tied up with work, but will this weekend for sure. But even though I can't put my finger on it, and it's pretty subtle, it really seems like they've become a bit more fleshed out since day one. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #5,055 of 65,633
Burn in seems to just "bring it all together" for me.  Doesn't change the sound per se.  Just blends all the parts of the stew.  Headphones can sound a bit stiff out of the box.  These are flexible membrane drivers after all.  Need a little running in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back