Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #4,981 of 65,854
AH, the joys of computer upgrading! So I switched from a 24" iMac w/snow leopard to the latest 27" model w/mountain lion. First casualty was my Fiio E9 which apparantly fried when disconnected. I was mostly using it with speakers & sub woofer via rca outs-fortunately I was able to connect my Ibasso D7 to the speakers and they sound way better now and of course the headamp section is delightful with my Grados as always. Still, it's not like the E9 was old (bought it new about a year ago). It also appears I lost several albums during the iTunes library transfer, but I have them backed-up so not a big deal.  

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,983 of 65,854
What sorta amp would you recommend for Grado SR80i.

im suggesting on Headroom's Total Airhead and which btw is on a KILLER sale! it makes me cringe.
im wondering though if 50$ for it plus shipping is worth it?

what about Fiio amps? im not too tied into them.. but someone please shoot me a recommendation...

im seeking under 100, at least under 50$ because money is my issue at the moment

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,984 of 65,854
Quote:
what about Fiio amps? im not too tied into them.. but someone please shoot me a recommendation...

I have the FiiO E10 (DAC/Amp), I can't see much of difference comparing it to pluging the sr80i directly in the notebook, sometimes my impression is that without this device the sr80i sounds better, but in fact I hardly notice any difference, what they do well is improving volume level, without changing the sound too much, it's always subjective though.

I use the E10 mostly with the sr325i with the bass on, but for the sr80i it's not appropriate, the bass on.

I would do a little more research before going for the FiiOs, but overal it seems to me that the E10 is a nice device for the price, if you need an amp for notebooks.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #4,986 of 65,854
Quote:
You could also upgrade to a lighter, woody model.
gs1000.gif

I fully agree. The woody Grados are ridiculously light. I was shocked at the RS-1s and now I'm shocked at the GS1ks....I thought my AKG Q701s were light! These things are like air. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4,987 of 65,854
Quote:

I fully agree. The woody Grados are ridiculously light. I was shocked at the RS-1s and now I'm shocked at the GS1ks....I thought my AKG Q701s were light! These things are like air. 

Thats saying something if there lighter than the 701's. I have always considered them the lightest headphone I have ever had on my head. When I had them I always worried I would forget they were on and get up and have them fall off my head and break while walking away. If I had a set of these I might have to put a bell on them to ding when I moved so I wouldnt forget to take them off when getting up. 
gs1000.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,988 of 65,854
Quote:

Thats saying something if there lighter than the 701's. I have always considered them the lightest headphone I have ever had on my head. When I had them I always worried I would forget they were on and get up and have them fall off my head and break while walking away. If I had a set of these I might have to put a bell on them to ding when I moved so I wouldnt forget to take them off when getting up. 
gs1000.gif

According to headphone.com's specs, the Qs are lighter, but I sure can't tell that they are by lifting them lol. 

The RS1/RS2s are a tad lighter than the Qs, though. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #4,989 of 65,854
Quote:
1. Bend (straighten) the headband so you have less pressure on your ears.
2. Take two aspirin with a beer or glass of wine.
3. ENJOY!

Just did this yesterday (except for the aspirins), and it worked quite well 
tongue.gif

I just bend it a little, and in fact it seemed to work  the ear pressure was a little less painful, guess I'll have to go on that way

Quote:
You could also upgrade to a lighter, woody model.
gs1000.gif

Would love to buy the Rs1, but in Europe they're totally overpriced (at least 930 € which is about 1200 $, nearly twice the US price 
mad.gif
)
Got a friend going to New York in a few weeks, maybe I should ask him to buy there

Anyway, is there a big gap between Rs1 and 325is ?

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4,991 of 65,854
@ Bozoleclown

If you can't quite afford RS1 yet - another option is to get a pair of Vibro cups from Headphone Lounge (http://headphonelounge.com/products/mahogany-grado-cups/) and woody your 325is.  I haven't heard the RS1i yet - so I have no idea how they compare - but I do like both the aesthetic and sonic changes it made to my own 325i.

Note that mine are slightly different cups (made by Cabillas) - but the Vibros should give you a very similar transformation.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #4,993 of 65,854
Quote:
@ Bozoleclown

If you can't quite afford RS1 yet - another option is to get a pair of Vibro cups from Headphone Lounge (http://headphonelounge.com/products/mahogany-grado-cups/) and woody your 325is.  I haven't heard the RS1i yet - so I have no idea how they compare - but I do like both the aesthetic and sonic changes it made to my own 325i.

Note that mine are slightly different cups (made by Cabillas) - but the Vibros should give you a very similar transformation.

Yummy. Also, what are those cables?

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #4,994 of 65,854
Quote:
How long have you had your Grados? I honestly think it just takes some time to get used to the L-Cush pads. And by that, I don't mean to grow accustomed to being irritated, I mean your ears will actually get used to the material of the ear pads and after so much use it will become less uncomfortable. Even to the point where they are comfortable for hours at a time. This has been my experience, anyway.

You probably have done so already, but if not, this is imperative: Gently bend the headband if you haven't done so. The idea is to relieve the clamping pressure. This, more than anything I think, will improve comfort. I bent mine quite a bit to the point where the ear pads rest very gently on my ears, and it is really quite comfortable. My head is quite big, so they'd probably fit very loose on most others' heads, but it's a simple fix as you can always gently bend it back inward.

I've never tried washing mine to soften them up...I am curious though and may try it. I just never felt the need as I find the comfort manageable.

just butting in.

when i first put them on, they are pretty light and comfortable(sr80i)
i suppose thanks to the Comfies.

i dont know what people say about them being uncomfortable. i mean they're comparable to the comfort of Koss Portapros.
the only thing i can say that makes the can a tad bit heavier is the real thick 4 conductor cable.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4,995 of 65,854

^if you can see it a bit, my Ears are imprinted on the foam after some considerable use
gs1000.gif

Just some picture candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back