Grado Fan Club!
Sep 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #4,396 of 65,610
Quote:
I'm loving my PS500 on DNA Stratus... music never sound so alive... truly amazing.

Wow, I bet that does sound nice. I really think I may pull the trigger on a nice tube amp for my 500s later this year. I have a few on my short list, but am really leaning toward giving Dr.P a little more business at Mapletree Audio Design. Grados with tubes is a pretty amazing thing. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,397 of 65,610
Bought an Ear+ HD, use extensively with my GS1000 and RS-2.  Hooked into the BluRay as I love my movies with my Grados.  Amazing movie experience with none of the wife complaints.  Just watched Twister again tonight for the first time in years....  good movie for the Grados.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #4,398 of 65,610
Ok, bad choice of words, I meant louder bass as compared to my iem, which isn't really all that loud.
But the bass isn't the problem, in fact, I think it had just the right amount of bass.

The problem is the mids & highs. (Don't kill me
atsmile.gif
)
They were clear, but only about as clear (or marginally less clear) as my IEM. I was expecting more. Albeit my IEM are said to be mid-centric.
Also, the sound/instruments seemed a bit distant, maybe due to a bad fit? or the comfies? or the open nature of these headphones?
Would these be remedied by getting a pair for myself and modding it to my liking?

Note: I am comparing IEMS to headphones, which might be a far stretch.

Edit: Seems like grados just aren't for me (for now). Thanks for the input though.

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #4,399 of 65,610
I have the SR60s for nearly 5 years now...and should say they are simple, neat and unassuming...I've been using them almost daily...looking forward to upgrade someday sooner...any recommendation on which would be a good next step from the Grado lineup?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #4,400 of 65,610
Quote:
I have the SR60s for nearly 5 years now...and should say they are simple, neat and unassuming...I've been using them almost daily...looking forward to upgrade someday sooner...any recommendation on which would be a good next step from the Grado lineup?

I'd say it depends on your budget...the RS-1/RS-2/PS500 is a nice place to be if you can choose from among those. If you don't want to jump quite that far, the 225s would probably be a logical landing point. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4,401 of 65,610
Quote:
Bought an Ear+ HD, use extensively with my GS1000 and RS-2.  Hooked into the BluRay as I love my movies with my Grados.  Amazing movie experience with none of the wife complaints.  Just watched Twister again tonight for the first time in years....  good movie for the Grados.

Awesome, I love hearing about others using their headphones for movies. How are you liking the MAD amp? And do you find the RS-2s and the GS1ks to be more different or similar? 

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #4,402 of 65,610
Quote:
Ok, bad choice of words, I meant louder bass as compared to my iem, which isn't really all that loud.
But the bass isn't the problem, in fact, I think it had just the right amount of bass.

atsmile.gif
)
They were clear, but only about as clear (or marginally less clear) as my IEM. I was expecting more. Albeit my IEM are said to be mid-centric.
Also, the sound/instruments seemed a bit distant, maybe due to a bad fit? or the comfies? or the open nature of these headphones?
Would these be remedied by getting a pair for myself and modding it to my liking?

Well, sounds like it's good you have other options that you prefer and that Grados may not be for you...nothing wrong with that...more for the rest of us :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4,403 of 65,610
Quote:

The 225i is the next logical step up.  Stretch goal is the Alessandro MS2i.  The RS and PS lines are great, but quite different from the SR's "wall of sound".  The 325is and its MS2i sibling are transition cans, while still being/sounding more SR than anything else.

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #4,404 of 65,610
Quote:

atsmile.gif
)

hard to say but comparing iems to headphones is a bit apples and oranges.
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4,407 of 65,610

These are a crappy cellphone picture of my Magnums...Sorry about the pic quality, it really isn't doing this work of art justice. 

This is my second pair of Grados. I have a pair of SR60is that I really like. 

Compared to my modded Fostex T50RPs, these headphones sound quite different. They are not as neutral as the T50RPs, but they are a very fun sounding, very dynamic headphone. I 
definitely like to use these when I want to enjoy my music. These have sounded excellent for every genre. They do not sound like traditional Grados in my opinion. However, they are definitely 
one of the best valued headphones when you have put together everything.

Shoutout to Taiden of Vibro Labs for the magnificent cups. I have his Vintage Vibro IVs. Shoutout to Chris_Himself o Headphone Lounge for the cables. Great guys to work with. Excellent 
communication, and they put their customers first, which is always nice to see. 

I currently am using a Sony headband. They do require quite a bit of modding in order to fit the cups. You need to use a hair dryer/head gun on the gimbals, and close them enough
to fit the diameter of the cups. Also, you need to either sand down the pins or use the heatshrink method previously described.

Sorry again for the picture quality...Between the Magnums and the Fostex T50RPs, I think I have settled down for quite some time. These two are in my opinion two of the best bargains available. 

Edit: I am currently driving these from a O2 + ODAC combo. They sound fantastic! No hint of sibilance or harshness at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back