Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #4,231 of 65,649
HF-1 were sold for $300 to $400 (used) for a while. When HF-2 came out. They dropped to under $200 and not difficult to find. You rarely see them for sale now. I have no idea people are paying that much for them.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4,232 of 65,649
HF-1 were sold for $300 to $400 (used) for a while. When HF-2 came out. They dropped to under $200 and not difficult to find. You rarely see them for sale now. I have no idea people are paying that much for them.

I guest it's all about the collector value :D Just to own a piece of audio history regardless of their sonics qualities. some collectors would pay big dollars for an old Pioneer SE-L40 just because they look cool but knowing that they sound awfull. :D

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4,233 of 65,649

I guest it's all about the collector value. Just to own a piece of audio history regardless of their sonics qualities. some collectors would pay big dollars for an old Pioneer SE-L40 just because they look cool but knowing that they sound awfull. :D

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #4,234 of 65,649
 Really enjoying the synergy with this stack comprising of the ALO MK3-B portable amp, Cypher Labs Algo
 Solo DAC and the RS1's. I'm not noticing a huge increase in detail retrieval over let's say a bog stock
 Apple Classic - the nuances are in the sense of space and separation on well known tracks. Some
 tracks though this setup project a very large image compared to the standard Apple gear.

Much better than the standard iPhone which is pretty tinny and nasty.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #4,235 of 65,649

< who said i had too many headphones? 5 isnt bad is it? only about, 3 are better

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4,236 of 65,649
Quote:
 Really enjoying the synergy with this stack comprising of the ALO MK3-B portable amp, Cypher Labs Algo
 Solo DAC and the RS1's. I'm not noticing a huge increase in detail retrieval over let's say a bog stock
 Apple Classic - the nuances are in the sense of space and separation on well known tracks. Some
 tracks though this setup project a very large image compared to the standard Apple gear.

Every time I see a pair of RS-1s I just stare at how good looking they are. 

LOL PinoyPogi.....

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #4,237 of 65,649
Quote:
Recent 'Gradophile' here. I own a pair of the SR80i's and love them. I'm a bit peeved that I recently lost the adaptor jack (the 1/8 to 1/4 inch plug) that allows me to plug my Grados into my hifi amp. I'm concerned that a generic replacement might compromise the sound I have come to love. How could I get a replacement jack?

Please help!

A slightly distressed Grado user and fan, 
'crusha

You're not serious are you?  An adapter jack is just that, an adaptor jack.  It makes absolutely NO difference to the sound, whatsoever!.  Just go to Wal-Mart and pick one up for a couple of bucks.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4,238 of 65,649
Quote:

Every time I see a pair of RS-1s I just stare at how good looking they are. 

LOL PinoyPogi.....

Mine are starting to develop some aesthetic 'character' you could say Focker 
smile.gif
 A few drizzles of rain here and there - they spend more time
 outside than inside!

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4,239 of 65,649
Quote:

Mine are starting to develop some aesthetic 'character' you could say Focker 
smile.gif
 A few drizzles of rain here and there - they spend more time
 outside than inside!

Well, in time thta will just give you an excuse to buy another pair :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #4,240 of 65,649
Quote:

Well, in time thta will just give you an excuse to buy another pair :)

RS1's could never see the lining of a bin! :)

Just the perfect excuse to refurbish and re-cable them when that time comes ~ that is assuming that over time constant temperature contrasts
 may eventually crack the mahogany shell - if that happens then they will be rather kaput.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4,241 of 65,649
Quote:

Try using better headphones gwarmi the rs1's aren't the best, sorry grado fans but you should be using the akg 3003i's!

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4,243 of 65,649
Quote:
He didn't say "no increase in detail." He said "I'm not noticing a HUGE increase in detail."

Two very different things.

I read through it again, ok my bad but with a good pair of headphones the alo combo are the best portable dac/amp you can get! p.s I have been testing all the best headphones dac/headphone amp combos for the shop!

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #4,244 of 65,649
Wow! My plastic gimbals cracked. Grado is sending me replacements but I expect those to eventually meet the same fate. I'll have to save up a bit and get these sweeeeet metal gimbals.

Quote:

Check out Marty's site: Martin Custom Audio

Marty is a master craftsman with the stuff he turns on that lathe...warning visiting Marty's site could make you drool.

Anyway Marty had some made a while back, he can hook you up if you're interested.

Edit to add pics:

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #4,245 of 65,649
You may also want to contact Symphones. I got the Magnum aluminum gimbals from them last month. costs 120 bucks (shipping to states may be more expensive). Not sure how much Martin Audio is charging.

The Symphones gimbals are full circles with cutouts on the bottom, like RS1 gimbals.

just another option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back