Grado Fan Club!
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,386 of 65,634

Quote:
haha, I can totally understand that...I wanted "more of a good thing" as soon as I heard the 80s :) 

If you find the treble a bit harsh on the 225s, you definitely wouldn't like the 325s...pretty sure they're a tad brighter. I find a lot of it is dependent on the recording itself, but also that tubes tend to really tame the highs a bit. I prefer a more forward sounding headphone anyway, so for me the tubes get the 325s right where I like em.

And I totally agree about how light the lower Grados are. After washing the pads on my 80s and making a very small adjustment to the headband, I honestly cannot tell when these things are on my head. That's why I'm dumbfounded when someone mentions that the 60s or 80s are not comfortable. They feel as if I have nothing on my head at all...and on top of that they sound fabulous :)

Yep I was in this dilemna where I had three Grado headphones and had to give up one.  So I was going to use 60's on the go and then 225is at home (then sell the RS1) but then I went and sold my 60s and kept the 225's on the go and the RS1's at home....and i'm so glad I did!  Because once the RS1s are burned in they sound fantastic and voices are really warm and lush.  Using the 225s on the go is heavy on the head....and thats when I begin to miss the lightness of the 60s.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,390 of 65,634

Quote:
Omg just listened to queen with the grados.....FANTASTIC!

Thumbs up!

If I were to pick one of the best sound stage demonstrations for a PS1000 - then it would be the build-up towards
 the end of Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' - visceral and goose bumpey to say the least, it just slams you in the face :)

I find most Queen recordings to be mik'd quite close and forward - works perfectly with the PS1000 and other slightly
 laid back presentations.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,392 of 65,634
I've been cranking the new death grips on me magnums. sounds great. and i second that for the LD1+. one of the best values in headfi IMHO

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2,393 of 65,634
I just spent the better part of the day listening to my dusty yet trusty Grado collection. 
I have basically switched over to electrostatics with a few dynamic/orthodynamics still in use (AKG K 1000, LCD-2 and Sennheiser HD-600 (preferable to the 650's)
So from what Grados I have in my collection (see my profile), These are my top three Grados - HF-1, SR-125 and HF-2.  Have not had the opportunity of
possessing any of the higher priced Grados.
Well, I think that I'll head back to my HE-60's and chill out with some Sybarite and Brendan Perry.....

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,394 of 65,634

Quote:
 Thumbs up!

If I were to pick one of the best sound stage demonstrations for a PS1000 - then it would be the build-up towards
 the end of Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' - visceral and goose bumpey to say the least, it just slams you in the face :)

I find most Queen recordings to be mik'd quite close and forward - works perfectly with the PS1000 and other slightly
 laid back presentations.

Agree!  Freddie Mercury's voice is amazing and the guitars, backing vocals and other instruments just top it all off - no other headphone can reproduce Queen music like what the Grados do :)

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #2,395 of 65,634
I wonder if people can start posting what music would sound good with the Grados?  I discovered Queen yesterday...how about Dire Straits?

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #2,396 of 65,634
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2,398 of 65,634

One PS1000 from Robert H Levi that I had not seen before :-

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/grado.htm

Speaking of amps awhile back - I will most likely never get to hear it but this thing appears to be amazing! You'd hope so considering the
 cost..

EAR4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back