Grado Fan Club!
Jan 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,726 of 65,674
and by friends do you mean GOOGLE. and by google do you mean blogspots. and by blogspots do you mean mediafire links. Because if you mean all those things, then yeap, I have a lot of friends too.

Chris, do you use an external?

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,727 of 65,674
the reason I invested in cans and this hobby is because I listen to a ton of music. Not vice-versa. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,728 of 65,674
I'm good friends with the google machine, yes

No, well, yes. for backups.. 

Ideally, I would have two internal drives in an external enclosure for my music. I'll do that in July when hard drives are cheaper again. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,729 of 65,674
haha why are they going to be cheaper in July? I have a 1TB Iomega portable hard drive. Best hard drive I've ever owned. So freaking nice, is super light weight, and amazingly tiny. 

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/external-hard-drive-portable/ego-portable-series-mac-edition/ego-black-mac/?partner=4760

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,730 of 65,674

Quote:
haha why are they going to be cheaper in July? I have a 1TB Iomega portable hard drive. Best hard drive I've ever owned. So freaking nice, is super light weight, and amazingly tiny. 

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/external-hard-drive-portable/ego-portable-series-mac-edition/ego-black-mac/?partner=4760

they are sky high right now.. because of flooding in Thailand

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,731 of 65,674
I use to write music reviews for a lifestyle magazine and got tons of music from record companies.
Plus, I bought a lot myself... I still have about 300 cd's I still need to go through and upload to my digital collection.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,733 of 65,674
chris, what program are you using? I used dbpoweramp with great results. Only thing I would suggest, which I wish I would have done....there is an option to standardize volumes of your rippings so that when they are played later, they are encoded some how to have about equal volumes, I think some players cna try to do this as well but from what I understand that doesn't work most of the time...........so it's best to do it right from the start when you rip....I have 50gigs of flacs and volumes that range from soft to holy crap !  It sucks.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,734 of 65,674

Quote:
chris, what program are you using? I used dbpoweramp with great results. Only thing I would suggest, which I wish I would have done....there is an option to standardize volumes of your rippings so that when they are played later, they are encoded some how to have about equal volumes, I think some players cna try to do this as well but from what I understand that doesn't work most of the time...........so it's best to do it right from the start when you rip....I have 50gigs of flacs and volumes that range from soft to holy crap !  It sucks.

Exact Audio Copy.

"[size=11pt]Friends don't let friends normalize their EAC rips. Don't ever do it."[/size]

[size=11pt]If you normalize the rip, it will change the files themselves and you will not be left with an exact copy of the CD (what you want for the sake of preservation).[/size]

[size=11pt]There is software that will detect the volume of a recording and normalize it within the media player, but I don't really suggest using that either.[/size]

[size=11pt]I use foobar2k w/ the wasapi plug in and I rip my stuff in flac and do not normalize. I have about 150 gigs of flac right now[/size]

[size=11pt]I should mention that dbpoweramp is a great program and I use it when I need to convert large amounts of audio files (converting my whole flac library to v0  for use on my DAP as I type). However, I would suggest looking into Exact Audio Copy.[/size]

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #1,736 of 65,674

I use ASIO and the full version of J Play mini - highly recommend you guys give the demo a rip, it's a nice
 lift all round for your music (demo only works for a few minutes to give you a taste and then it cuts out)

Some big collections abound here, I'm still sitting on about 120Gb for about 295 albums - but I tend
 to sit on playing the same stuff over and over again until I get sick of it and then move on to fresh material.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,739 of 65,674

Quote:
then how does the volume get normalized? my player doesn't do it.....it has something called pregain but that doesn't seem to do anything for me?

What player are you using? 

If you're using Foobar, you can normalize the playback volumes under File --> Preferences --> Playback --> ReplayGain 

I'd leave the normalizing to the playback side of things, and not the encoding side since you want to keep the source files as close to the source as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back