Grado Fan Club!
Jan 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,561 of 65,858

Quote:
...I can say that I can feel the pace and rhythm of rock like I have not experienced with my Senn 650s. But I am having a fit problem in that the ear pads do not clamp tightly on my ears, so the headband is sitting heavily on my head and I get the sensation that the headphones are too susceptible to moving around even while sitting at my desk typing. I do not know whether I can get used to this heavy and loose fit. Is there fix or is this how on-ear Grados sit on certain heads? It is definitely a different feel from the 650s and I am troubled by it.

Yes, HD650's are boring set of headphones.  I couldn't keep my eyes open when listening to them :)  Strangely, I much prefer my HD598's over the HD650's. 

In my case I actually prefer the clamping force of my 325is (not too strong compared to the 80i's I had before.)  but like Twinster said, you can bend the head band to increase the clamping force.  Enjoy your new 325is :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #1,562 of 65,858

Quote:
Yes, HD650's are boring set of headphones.  I couldn't keep my eyes open when listening to them :)  Strangely, I much prefer my HD598's over the HD650's. 

In my case I actually prefer the clamping force of my 325is (not too strong compared to the 80i's I had before.)  but like Twinster said, you can bend the head band to increase the clamping force.  Enjoy your new 325is :)

Or you can fit the DT770 Beyerdynamic headband for a cosier fit ~ cheap and easy. $10 well spent.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,563 of 65,858

The politically correct way to call the HD-650 is to say they are Laid back headphone 
wink.gif

Quote:

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,565 of 65,858

Quote:
Or you can fit the DT770 Beyerdynamic headband for a cosier fit ~ cheap and easy. $10 well spent.

That seems like a brilliant idea.  Is it also more comfortable resting on top of the head, ie. is it sufficiently padded?  Where does one get that headband?  Are there instructions for swapping out the headbands? I ask because I am not the handiest fellow. Thanks for your help.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,566 of 65,858

Quote:
That seems like a brilliant idea.  Is it also more comfortable resting on top of the head, ie. is it sufficiently padded?  Where does one get that headband?  Are there instructions for swapping out the headbands? I ask because I am not the handiest fellow. Thanks for your help.

Any store stocking Beyerdynamic can get it in as a spare part ~ alternatively you can find a stockist online that lists
 the Beyerdynamic DT770 part no# ~ it's easy as, just wrap the new DT770 headband over the stock Grado one.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,567 of 65,858
Has any one tried the taped bowl modification suggested by Tyll Herstens and found at the below link?  If so, does it work as described in taming some of the brightness without harming the fantastic midrange detail, presence, pace and tonality, which are the characteristics that make the Grado 325s special to me.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,568 of 65,858
Just registered and thought I'd chime in here.

I've always enjoyed music, but didn't appreciate headphones as I should have. I was getting tired of my music sounding tinny with cheap, $15 headphones I'd purchased at Wal-Mart. I started researching headphones, and quickly found out what I was missing.

Pretty soon afterward, I ordered a pair of Grado SR-60i's that came recommended to me by some friends. I payed 80 dollars, $79.99, on Amazon and they arrived in a week's time. To my surprise, what showed up at my door wasn't a pair of SR-60i's, but a pair of SR-80i's! I contacted the seller who said it would be too much of a hassle to have them shipped back and that I could keep them. I decided I would! They cost a hundred dollars, after all.

That was almost a year ago. My 80i's have been eye-opening, and despite trying a lot of other headphones (I've never had the pleasure of trying higher end Grados, admittedly) they're still my favorite. I just love how they sound.

I'm poor and in college, so I can't afford this hobby like some people can. Still, I plan on getting my SR-80i's recabled and my father (a retired woodworker) has a drill press and all the tools to make some snazzy woodies. I've contacted Zynsonics and will likely go that route for recabling, since it's not my area of expertise, but I'm familiar enough with woodworking that I can make some woodies myself, while saving a substantial sum over having someone else do that for me.

The Grado SR-80i's opened my eyes (and ears) to a new realm of sound and I've enjoyed every minute of it. All for 80 dollars!

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #1,569 of 65,858

Quote:
Has any one tried the taped bowl modification suggested by Tyll Herstens and found at the below link?  If so, does it work as described in taming some of the brightness without harming the fantastic midrange detail, presence, pace and tonality, which are the characteristics that make the Grado 325s special to me.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

I've used taped bowls on my 225 when it was stock and I have taped bowls on my woodied 225. It adds a little to the bottom end and smooths things out a little bit without messing with the essence of what makes a Grado a Grado.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,570 of 65,858
It has only been a weekend since my 325is arrived and I now know why the Grado sound has its proponents.  I can be counted as one.  The midrange tonality, detail, presence and pacing are wonderful. The bass is not as deep as other similarly priced headphones. But I do not miss it. These phones rock!  The headphones are still breaking in and I have noticed ongoing improvement.

There are some issues that I need to address. The headphones are not as comfortable as I would prefer and I am hoping that the Beyerdynamic headband replacement will  improve things. Also, they can be a bit too bright with some music. This can be alleviated by turning down the volume, but I am hopeful that taping the bowls will improve this also.

In that regard, is there a best method for removing and re-installing the ear pads? Will someone please advise me of this method.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,571 of 65,858
The earpads should pop right off. I'd also suggest washing them with some nice conditioner (yep, like for your hair) if you find them too scratchy. Make sure they're fully dry before putting them back on, of course.

On any Grado that has wood inside, (RS1, RS2, PS500, etc) the pads may appear to be glued on; they're not, it's just the finish on the wood. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,572 of 65,858

Quote:
The earpads should pop right off. I'd also suggest washing them with some nice conditioner (yep, like for your hair) if you find them too scratchy. Make sure they're fully dry before putting them back on, of course.

On any Grado that has wood inside, (RS1, RS2, PS500, etc) the pads may appear to be glued on; they're not, it's just the finish on the wood. 

Thank you.  So I just carefully pull each off and push each back on.  So far, I do not experience excessive scratchiness from the ear pads. My comfort problem lies with the looseness and weight on my head which I am hopeful the Beyer headband will solve. In any event the sound is worth it and these Grados are keepers.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,573 of 65,858

Quote:

Quote:
 Any store stocking Beyerdynamic can get it in as a spare part ~ alternatively you can find a stockist online that lists
 the Beyerdynamic DT770 part no# ~ it's easy as, just wrap the new DT770 headband over the stock Grado one.

Thank you again for the advise.  I will follow  up after I install the headband.

I am curious about the yellow ear pads. What are they and how do they affect the sound and comfort on your 325s?

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,574 of 65,858

Quote:

Yeah I got my L-cushions last week week for my SR80i and taped them (though I used black electrical tape, just looks more classy :wink: )  Sound wise, I'm liking it.  The change isn't huge (IMHO) but it's decent. 

For me, the biggest improvement is the comfort as I wear glasses.  These pads are so much better with glasses.

Frankly, if you want to change the sound to suit your listening tastes, some light EQ'ing is the way to go.  For me, a small drop at 2k and a bump from 100 down is the sweet spot, obviously YMMV :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #1,575 of 65,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am curious about the yellow ear pads. What are they and how do they affect the sound and comfort on your 325s?

Those would be Sennheiser 414 pads. From what I've read (they're too hideous for me to want them!) they improve the bass a bit and can be quarter modded (cut a quarter-sized hole in the middle of the pad) like any pads for even more bass. They've got a different consistency than the s-cush stock pads that means you get more bass without quarter modding. In large part people like them because they're really really cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back