Grado Fan Club!
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,546 of 65,854

Quote:
Hello BloodyPenguin and congrat on your Grado and great pictures.

Just for your knowledge I notice that your HD-414 pads are not mounted in reverse on your headphone. You need to mount the side you have cut so that way they will shape like a small bowl and give you better stage.
Enjoy!  
beyersmile.png

Yep.  I made the same observation, but Simon noted it first.  Flip dem things around.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,547 of 65,854

Quote:

Brian,

I'm quite content with the HF-2 Grados.  I didn't know what to really think because I've read comments and personal mini reviews here and there of them.  However, it was a pretty quick decision that I made - when compared to other decisions that I take longer to decide on.  I guess realizing that they were a special run of headphones with a target of headphone audiophiles had been one of the hooks that captured me.  Keeping in mind that I'm a real Magnum lover, the differences that my ears hear between the HF-2 and the Magnums is not all that different.  If anything, the HF-2 might have a very slight amount of less bass - but, very minimal.  The mids and highs compare quite like the HF-2, or at least that's how my ears have perceived it.  I guess I could break it down into two categories.  1) If you're a tinkerer and don't mind hunting down your components and working with a soldering iron, then the Magnums are a very logical choice.  However, 2) If you're one who believes in products that have been tuned and tweaked only by the manufacturer and you want to buy an assembled headphone, with a good backing, then the HF-2 would easily fall on my short list of recommendations.  

I've been using the Magnums and the HF-2s with  various sources and amps.  My Sansui receiver, my O2 amp, my C&C BH amp, a Sansa Fuze and a iPod Video / Classic that still featured the Wolfson DAC chips contained within before Apple switched over to the Cirrus Logic chips.  Both headphones have performed very well with these combinations.  The HF-2 has, at times, received a slight amount of EQ where I felt it might have been needed.  Again, just a slight amount and that was basically dependent upon the player.

I've last listened to the SR-225i in wooden cups as of a few weeks back after being spoiled by the Magnums and they've left me a bit underwhelmed.  Again, though, this is basically after drinking the Magnum Kool-Aid is when my view of the SR-225i changed.  I will agree with you though, I could easily live with the HF-2 Grados the rest of my listening life as opposed to the MS-Pro headphones from Allesandro.  Getting the HF-2 in the mail and connecting them up and being impressed with what I hear was quite an exciting experience for me.  I guess lately with the stock headphones, I've found a weakness here and there that has bothered me.  But, the HF-2 will stay all secured, just as Grado built them.

The HF-2 is a very comfortable pair of headphones to wear.  The SR-325i was a heavier headphone (in my opinion) and the plastic casings inserted in the aluminum cups was just an "odd" combination.  I guess Grado maybe thought that they could sell the headphones just on the bling factor alone.  They do provide the aluminum cups and a leather headband, but I'm not sure if those two items are worth the $100 additional cost over the SR-225i.  For the $300 that the SR-325i runs, one can get awfully close to a great, basic set of Magnums.  The wooden cups might be a bit basic, but you'll still have a great set of headphones that should please one quite greatly.

Not sure why but you're making me miss the old rs-1i a lot.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,548 of 65,854

Quote:
Not sure why but you're making me miss the old rs-1i a lot.

If you pair almost any Grado with an capable headphone amplifier, a good source - or, even a vintage receiver, you'll really unleash the capability of them, regardless of the model.  However, to expect miracles from a Grado plugged into the output of an iPod means one is just short-changing their capabilities of what the headphones are really capable of doing.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,549 of 65,854

Quote:
If you pair almost any Grado with an capable headphone amplifier, a good source - or, even a vintage receiver, you'll really unleash the capability of them, regardless of the model.  However, to expect miracles from a Grado plugged into the output of an iPod means one is just short-changing their capabilities of what the headphones are really capable of doing.

Have you seen my user profile? :wink:

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,552 of 65,854
I thought I would take a few minutes and share my love of my Grado headphones and the story behind my lucky acquisition of my current favorites the SR225i's. 

I have always been a music lover and built my home system accordingly. However, I never was really into high-end cans. But things change and the WAF has become harder to meet over the years so I was looking for a new way to enjoy my music collection without disturbing my wife. Enter the pair of SR80i's I purchased back in July 2010. The SR80i's were a revelation for me. I was hearing the same detail and nuance in my music that I expected to hear through my home system at a significantly lower price-point. I was hooked. 

Fast forward to Sep. 2010 and I am playing around on a penny-auction site that will remain nameless - I don't want to make it sound like I am schilling for this site - and noticed that there were a decent amount of headphones being auctioned off each day, mostly Bose, Beats and to my surprise, Grado. What I found was that everyone was really bidding up the Beats (which were really hot at that time) and the Bose, but the Grado cans were being sold for relatively less. Bidders were getting the getting the Grados for $20-$30+shipping while the Beats were going for $60-$70. If you've ever tried one of the sites you understand that a $50 final price means there were 5,000 bids on the product. I wasn't really interested in bidding at first because they were selling mostly SR60i's and SR80i's. But right before I was going to navigate off the site for the day, I noticed that there was a pair of SR225i's up for auction no one was bidding on them. Even though I was perfectly content with the SR80i's, I figured I throw a few bids at it and see what happened.

Apparently, no one really realized what they were and I ended up winning the auction. Final price - $2.69+$7.99 shipping. It just goes to show you what a little marketing can do for an inferior product (i.e. Bose or Beats - take your pick).

I now keep the SR80i's in my den (and take them with me on travel) and the SR225i's with my main system and I am in headphone heaven...that is until I get the upgrade itch...those RS1i's sure do look nice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

RSN2004

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,553 of 65,854
I'm very pleased to report that the Pelican 1200 case is a perfect fit for my RS1, and fits in my briefcase / messenger bag. 

The cardboard box was getting a little dog-eared from its daily commute!

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,555 of 65,854
That is a killer story RSN  welcome to head fi, and the Grado Fan Club. What sort of music is usually flowing through your cans?

@ Wayne. Glad you like your HF2''s. I didnt really think about the similarities between the Magnums and the HF2 when I had the use of Stefans Magnums that week. My recall is a little shaky too. The presentation of my HF2's is warmer now running from the the headphone out on the Harmon Kardon receiver, and it added a little more oomph to the bottom end, as opposed to the headphone out on the Sparrow. The Magnums were here pre HK and I didnt really try to ABx them with the HF2. I meant to get around to it, I just found myself enjoying the presentation they offered and wanted to appreciate them for what they were before forwarding them to you. Apparently you agreed with my assesment though, and PM'ed Rhydon. The HF2's get most of my head time, although I did have the T50's on the other night and I'm pretty fond of those as well. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,556 of 65,854
KneelJung,

Thanks for the welcome, this seems like a fun forum. 

As for my music preference, I enjoy all kinds of music - from classical to punk rock and blues to blue grass. The only thing that I generally stay away from is country music. Its just not my cup of tea. For example, last night I was listening to a little classic Clapton and then switched to Colin Hay, but a couple nights before that I was enjoying some Rancid. It all depends on my mood. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,557 of 65,854
First post here. I started out with the SR60i because I had read so many good review about them. Haven't looked back since. After about a year I upgraded to the  Alessandro MS1's and am now looking to upgrade again to either the 325i or possibly the RS2i. Right now I'm doing some tweaks to the SR60is to satisfy my upgrade itch until I read up more on my options and decide how much I want to spend.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,559 of 65,854
Out of the box, I am enjoying the sound of my new Grado 325, which I will expound upon after further listening and break in.  I can say that I can feel the pace and rhythm of rock like I have not experienced with my Senn 650s. But I am having a fit problem in that the ear pads do not clamp tightly on my ears, so the headband is sitting heavily on my head and I get the sensation that the headphones are too susceptible to moving around even while sitting at my desk typing. I do not know whether I can get used to this heavy and loose fit. Is there fix or is this how on-ear Grados sit on certain heads? It is definitely a different feel from the 650s and I am troubled by it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,560 of 65,854

You can always bend the headband in a bit. It's only a metal band covered with leather.

Quote:
Out of the box, I am enjoying the sound of my new Grado 325, which I will expound upon after further listening and break in.  I can say that I can feel the pace and rhythm of rock like I have not experienced with my Senn 650s. But I am having a fit problem in that the ear pads do not clamp tightly on my ears, so the headband is sitting heavily on my head and I get the sensation that the headphones are too susceptible to moving around even while sitting at my desk typing. I do not know whether I can get used to this heavy and loose fit. Is there fix or is this how on-ear Grados sit on certain heads? It is definitely a different feel from the 650s and I am troubled by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back