Grado Fan Club!
Jan 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #1,486 of 65,633
Meanwhile, I was wondering what do you think of these headphones, or any other grado for that matter, to enjoy, strictly speaking (not analyze), classical music, be it orchestral or solos?

In a lot of ways, I like mine better for orchestral/acoustic music than for rock. Them details and instrument separation.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,487 of 65,633

Quote:
In a lot of ways, I like mine better for orchestral/acoustic music than for rock. Them details and instrument separation.

Nice!
I see you have the Alessandros MS1, I wonder how this impression would translate to the 225's.
I am worried the treble might be too harsh, but I must reserve judgment for when I effectively try them.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,488 of 65,633

Quote:
Hello grado lovers!

I am on queue to join the club as I just purchased some SR225i's from a fellow head-fi member!
gs1000.gif

Meanwhile, I was wondering what do you think of these headphones, or any other grado for that matter, to enjoy, strictly speaking (not analyze), classical music, be it orchestral or solos?

I listen to a lot of classical music on my Grados.  Typically, chamber music seems to work best, probably true of all headphones.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,489 of 65,633
I've never found Grado headphones to behave poorly with large orchestral pieces, though I would say if there's any genre that improves with better Grados classical would be the one.

Quote:
Hello grado lovers!

I am on queue to join the club as I just purchased some SR225i's from a fellow head-fi member!
gs1000.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,493 of 65,633
question: for those who applied the damping of the driver mod (placing some adhesive over the driver) have you noticed that it causes a shrillness in certain notes? my grados seem to be sound a lil rough around teh edges are some notes and I was wondering if it's because of the damping mod

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,494 of 65,633

Quote:
question: for those who applied the damping of the driver mod (placing some adhesive over the driver) have you noticed that it causes a shrillness in certain notes? my grados seem to be sound a lil rough around teh edges are some notes and I was wondering if it's because of the damping mod

I would recommend removing the dampening material. A lot of people decided they didn't like it, I was among them.

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,495 of 65,633
I decided to just go ahead and try out the PS500's (I know..probably should have just went with the RS1's or used HF-2s).

I ordered my pair through Amazon.com (from Amazon directly). And everything is great, however I noticed a number etched into the side of my headphones. You guys know the black squares that have the L and R on them, that hold the sliders in place. Well on the inside of those (so not on the L or R, but on the inner side) - there is a "624" number etched there.

I don't really care tbh (in terms of aesthetics). That's the side that is against my head so I won't ever see it. And it is very light (barely noticeable). BUT, I'm a bit worried about that. Is that common? I have SR80is, and I don't have any numbers on those. Manufacturing mistake?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,496 of 65,633

I would recommend removing the dampening material. A lot of people decided they didn't like it, I was among them.

I just pulled mine off last night after reading through the other thread. Now they sound like the headphones I fell in love with again (instead of what I imagine Ultrasones must sound like), albeit with more bass - but a nicely defined and presented bass.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,497 of 65,633
That's a new feature... it's your serial number. It will match the numbers etched onto the cups themselves.

My new RS1i has this as well. Near as I can tell this was done in the last year. The numbers are not strictly sequential production numbers either: John once told me that he can track where headphones end up when they come back for repairs (IE: is this headphone warrantied coming from this location) by the serial number. 

These numbers began in around 2002-2003 (on the RS1), I think, and are on most higher-end Grados. Production changes to the RS1 are documented in the thread linked to in my signature.

My theory (I haven't asked Grado yet) is that it is to ease the repair process; they take the cups off of the headband and gimbals to do just about anything, and you won't end up with another person's headband at the end.

Oh, and congrats on the pickup! I like the sound of the PS500 quite a bit. I'm kinda musing about getting one someday to compliment my RS1 as a darker flavor.

Quote:
I decided to just go ahead and try out the PS500's (I know..probably should have just went with the RS1's or used HF-2s).

I ordered my pair through Amazon.com (from Amazon directly). And everything is great, however I noticed a number etched into the side of my headphones. You guys know the black squares that have the L and R on them, that hold the sliders in place. Well on the inside of those (so not on the L or R, but on the inner side) - there is a "624" number etched there.

I don't really care tbh (in terms of aesthetics). That's the side that is against my head so I won't ever see it. And it is very light (barely noticeable). BUT, I'm a bit worried about that. Is that common? I have SR80is, and I don't have any numbers on those. Manufacturing mistake?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,498 of 65,633

Thanks for clarifying!

And thanks. I'm really happy with them. :)  I do plan on getting RS1's for my birthday in 3 months. I have some money I'm setting aside. 
Quote:
That's a new feature... it's your serial number. It will match the numbers etched onto the cups themselves.

My new RS1i has this as well. Near as I can tell this was done in the last year. The numbers are not strictly sequential production numbers either: John once told me that he can track where headphones end up when they come back for repairs (IE: is this headphone warrantied coming from this location) by the serial number. 

These numbers began in around 2002-2003 (on the RS1), I think, and are on most higher-end Grados. Production changes to the RS1 are documented in the thread linked to in my signature.

My theory (I haven't asked Grado yet) is that it is to ease the repair process; they take the cups off of the headband and gimbals to do just about anything, and you won't end up with another person's headband at the end.

Oh, and congrats on the pickup! I like the sound of the PS500 quite a bit. I'm kinda musing about getting one someday to compliment my RS1 as a darker flavor.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,499 of 65,633

Quote:
I've never found Grado headphones to behave poorly with large orchestral pieces, though I would say if there's any genre that improves with better Grados classical would be the one.

Heya, interesting! Thanks for the answers.

Would an improvement be noticeable from the SR60's to the SR125's or the 225's? Or do you mean from the RS1's and up? (with classical music, I mean)

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,500 of 65,633

Quote:

Heya, interesting! Thanks for the answers.

Would an improvement be noticeable from the SR60's to the SR125's or the 225's? Or do you mean from the RS1's and up? (with classical music, I mean)

Just my input....I've tried almost all the Grado Line (60i - 80i - 125i - 225i - 325i - RS1i - RS2i - GS1000i - PS1000) except for the HF versions and they do improve when you go up the line when it comes to classical music. I find that getting the G-Cush pads for the SR-80 - RS2i really helps the soundstage and openness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back