Grado Fan Club!
Sep 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,051 of 65,625

Quote:
If you can't find the serial number, your RS1 is vintage.
wink_face.gif

Wish it were mine---its a loaner. l'll order a new set of pads before messing with them. Where is the best place for ordering pads?

Early concern that the Headamp GS1 might be too neutral for the RS1, was of course unfounded. With its Gilmore dynalo configuration (initially designed for Grado HPs) synergy is excellent. The RS1 responds very nicely to the GS1s transparency and dynamics. I'm finding the GS1 to be well controlled in the HFs, with a forward mid to upper midrange.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,052 of 65,625
So I've had my SR225s for a week or so now and I truly love them. I went back to my Ultrasone's a couple days ago because they have my mic on them and I needed to be on skype and the whole time I found myself wanting to have the Grados on. They're just a fantastic sonic experience. I've been thinking about a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros or Audio Technica ATH-AD900s for something with a wider soundstage but I really feel like I'd just end up back at my Grados.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,053 of 65,625

Quote:
So I've had my SR225s for a week or so now and I truly love them. I went back to my Ultrasone's a couple days ago because they have my mic on them and I needed to be on skype and the whole time I found myself wanting to have the Grados on. They're just a fantastic sonic experience. I've been thinking about a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros or Audio Technica ATH-AD900s for something with a wider soundstage but I really feel like I'd just end up back at my Grados.

Thats great! You don't feel the bass is lacking at all right? The SR-225 is quite a dynamic headphone if you're used to the mostly treble of the 60's and 80's, the 125's sound "bigger" too

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,055 of 65,625

Quote:

Wish it were mine---its a loaner. l'll order a new set of pads before messing with them. Where is the best place for ordering pads?

Early concern that the Headamp GS1 might be too neutral for the RS1, was of course unfounded. With its Gilmore dynalo configuration (initially designed for Grado HPs) synergy is excellent. The RS1 responds very nicely to the GS1s transparency and dynamics. I'm finding the GS1 to be well controlled in the HFs, with a forward mid to upper midrange.

Thinking about adding an RS1/RS2 or PS500 to the collection then perhaps to complement the HD 600?

I've not heard the HD 600 myself, but the HD 650 / Grado 225+ combo is a fine one indeed.

I find my 325i / K601 partnership to work well for just about everything bar some electronica.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,056 of 65,625

Quote:
 Thinking about adding an RS1/RS2 or PS500 to the collection then perhaps to complement the HD 600?

Good question, and one I've been mulling over today. The RS1 gives me access to music, that apparently the HD600 is unable to. To simplify, the issue is upfront music energy on one side, and laid back smoothness on the other. I could never listen to Steely Dan's Aja all the way through with the senn.

It'll be sad to see this RS leave, and I'm not sure I want to go through the exercise of searching out a mint Classic like this one. Otoh this first hand experience with the RS1, has cured my long standing fear of so called "bright" headphones. I definitely see a T1 and HD800 in the near future.

In the meantime I have this one for a month or two.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,057 of 65,625

Quote:

It'll be sad to see this RS leave, and I'm not sure I want to go through the exercise of searching out a mint Classic like this one. Otoh this first hand experience with the RS1, has cured my long standing fear of so called "bright" headphones. I definitely see a T1 and HD800 in the near future.

In the meantime I have this one for a month or two.

That's been my experience with the T1 and HD 800 - hours mind you, not days of auditioning (so this is my disclaimer!)
they do nothing wrong, being technically fluid - but they don't bring me close to the music. Perhaps my taste will change,
but I cannot see this changing for blues, rock and acoustic - just got a copy of Ry Cooder's Paris, Texas and it's on repeat
at the moment - switching to the K601 it's just a diluted experience.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,058 of 65,625

Quote:
That's been my experience with the T1 and HD 800 - hours mind you, not days of auditioning (so this is my disclaimer!)
they do nothing wrong, being technically fluid - but they don't bring me close to the music. Perhaps my taste will change,
but I cannot see this changing for blues, rock and acoustic - just got a copy of Ry Cooder's Paris, Texas and it's on repeat
at the moment - switching to the K601 it's just a diluted experience.

Point taken, and I believe you speak the truth. Of course I always reserve the right to change my mind. 
gs1000.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #1,059 of 65,625

Quote:

I've not heard the HD 600 myself, but the HD 650 / Grado 225+ combo is a fine one indeed.

I find my 325i / K601 partnership to work well for just about everything bar some electronica.

HD650 is almost completely different than the HD600, some people think of it as an upgrade to the HD600, I've always thought of it as a different headphone that just cost more. I mean I like it more for some things, but they're not similar at all.

HD600's are more neutral and the treble can come off as bright to some even... 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,061 of 65,625

Quote:
how is the comfort level with the Grados? I have a fairly large head, and don't like headphones to clamp on too hard. Also how are the pads on these? pictures makes them look rather uncomfortable

Comfort is considered to be the achilles heel by many detractors - thing is, Grado do not have an ergonomic department like AKG or Sennheiser
biggrin.gif

The band is a metal strip so it can be stretched, but if you browse back over the pages of this thread - you'll see many opinions, including my
own that they lend themselves really well to being a 45-60min session can with breaks in between.

This all changes with the flagships though - GS1000i and PS1000 - the GS especially, it is very cosy, comfortable and light on the head.

Pads are interchangeable as you'll see between the flat pads, L-cush and big G-cush bowls.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,062 of 65,625
Update on my experience with the GS1. I'm really enjoying its performance in the HFs with quality recordings, which is close to analytical although well balanced and sweet. The RS1's analytical nature works very well with the classical violin, although sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of its  tonality.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #1,063 of 65,625
Can anyone make a recommendation for an aftermarket earpad for my SR80i?  The only discomfort I experience with the stock ear pad is at the top of my ears because they press into my glasses.  This gets uncomfortable after about an hour of wearing them.  Have any other four-eyed Grado owners been able to mitigate this problem?

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #1,065 of 65,625

Quote:
Can anyone make a recommendation for an aftermarket earpad for my SR80i?  The only discomfort I experience with the stock ear pad is at the top of my ears because they press into my glasses.  This gets uncomfortable after about an hour of wearing them.  Have any other four-eyed Grado owners been able to mitigate this problem?

The pads and the headband conform to the shape of your head/ears over time. It sucks, but such is life.

Also you could get a new headband, I just got a new one in the mail and it's working wonders for my head. Doesn't matter where you get it from, if they're padded, they're already leagues ahead of the stock one hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back