Grado Fan Club!
Sep 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #976 of 65,629
I want to upgrade and mahogany cups have been catching my eye for a while. Looking to pick up a pair of RS2is in about a week. I'll be going from the 80i to RS2i.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #977 of 65,629
From the UK, while in the US I bought a pair of 325's in dollars to save me a lot of money.

My first ever pair of Grados and I LOVE the sound, however, one thing I did not expect was just how much sound anyone near you or within the same room can hear them - they are like a pair of speakers on my ears, sound amazing but wife doesn't appreciate the leakage, her loss :wink:

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #978 of 65,629
Just ordered my first pair from Amazon. Grado SR225s. Will be here tomorrow. So excited, can't wait for them to show up. Never had open cans before.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #979 of 65,629

Quote:
Just ordered my first pair from Amazon. Grado SR225s. Will be here tomorrow. So excited, can't wait for them to show up. Never had open cans before.

I was about 2 seconds away from doing the same yesterday..what did stupid me do? Got the D2000 instead and it's defective! I'll still try the SR-225i within a few months.
Grados just never play well with my head..just ignore that comment.

I have my K601 for trade in the forums, but nobody wants a K601 these days. Might just sell them to fund a Grado purchase.
I just hope there is quite a big increase in sound clarity going from the SR-80 to 225
confused_face_2.gif
A little worried.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #980 of 65,629
I almost pulled the trigger on the 80s actually. I've been reading about Grados all week and everything I read said most user preference was:

As far as not stupidly expensive models. I've only ever listened to the 60s and that was years ago so I really don't have a lot to compare them against. I was going to get the L-Cush pads for the 80s anyways, and I have the money in my budget this month after selling a spare computer I don't need so I thought what the heck. If I'm going to do something, I may as well do it right the first time. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

Quote:
I was about 2 seconds away from doing the same yesterday..what did stupid me do? Got the D2000 instead and it's defective! I'll still try the SR-225i within a few months.
Grados just never play well with my head..just ignore that comment.

I have my K601 for trade in the forums, but nobody wants a K601 these days. Might just sell them to fund a Grado purchase.
I just hope there is quite a big increase in sound clarity going from the SR-80 to 225
confused_face_2.gif
A little worried.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #981 of 65,629

Quote:
I'm almost ready to take the grado plunge. I've always been intrigued by how everyone talks about the low to mid guitar 'punch' you get with certain models. Do the 225i's deliver more of this forward 'punch' then the sr80i's? I'm looking for that sweet spot in cost versus diminished returns. I already have a little ra1 cmoy for driving and work, and I cant wait to annoy my cube neighbors : )

The Sr80is are treble friendly, some find almost to the point of harsh. The sr225is will definitely have more forward, classic Grado mids, and more of a bass thump.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #982 of 65,629

Quote:
 The Sr80is are treble friendly, some find almost to the point of harsh. The sr225is will definitely have more forward, classic Grado mids, and more of a bass thump.

Yup, spot on comments

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #983 of 65,629
I think, instead of climbing up the Grado ladder all the way to the PS, GS and HF models, settle with one pair that you really love and woodie it. Or Magnumize it if you're into metals. That way, the pair last longer, and it'll be like a treasure that you can pass down to others. lol. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #984 of 65,629
haha, I am actually deciding if I should do that or make the upgrade. Arghhh

Quote:
I think, instead of climbing up the Grado ladder all the way to the PS, GS and HF models, settle with one pair that you really love and woodie it. Or Magnumize it if you're into metals. That way, the pair last longer, and it'll be like a treasure that you can pass down to others. lol. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #985 of 65,629
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhGli1Rw8Y

OH gad, it's so beautiful on Grados.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #986 of 65,629
So I'm back in the Grado fold. I've owned pretty much every Grado (SR 60/SR125/SR225i/SR325is) up to the RS1s (and I've owned both the RS1 and RS1i) and found myself missing having a Grado in my collection over the past several months.

I picked up a HF-2 locally today. Based on my experiences, the 2 best Grados I've heard are the RS1s and HF-2s. (FWIW, I've heard the GS1000 and PS1000 several times on some pretty killer gear).

Just rocking out to Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Alice Cooper's new album) and I do appreciate the treble presentation of the HF-2s and their refinement. The bass slam is quite a bit more than the RS1s, but when you buy a John Grado headphone, neutral is not on the menu.
wink.gif
But I have always appreciated their unique sound.
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #987 of 65,629
I recently bought a pair of SR-60i and I love them.  Although they are entry level Grados, I feel that they sound great.  I guess they all sound great when you have nothing better to compare to!?  :)

Although I am sure 5,000 people already commented on this already but I wished Grados would make their headphones with slightly better materials and finish.  They feel kind of flimsy...but they do sound great.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #988 of 65,629
Spent a few hours with my SR225s tonight. Got them used - like new (absolutely accurate, look brand new aside from the tape seal being broken on the box) from stream audio video on amazon for 175 overnighted.

I have to say I really am impressed. I wasn't sure if the audio quality was going to be as stellar as everyone talks about. They're like nothing I've heard before. Everything I loved on closed cans with mid/high focus just brings a grin to my face while I listen through these. Eric Clapton Unplugged was a new experience, so were Radiohead OK Computer and Yo Yo Ma Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites. MalVeauX recommended John Petrucci - Suspended Animation and that was a great recommendation, amazing electric guitar pieces.

They're truly a different class of headphone. I don't regret the purchase for a minute. I am already in love with these things. So glad I jumped into the Grado pool.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #989 of 65,629
I realized today I enjoy comfy pads... like a lot... I have like 5 pairs from all the SR-60's I've bought over the years and upgraded to bowls... oh man why didn't I at least try these.

They're just so much more convenient since you don't have to twist the bowls every now and then so you can land on a more cushy area... you just toss 'em on your ears and you're done with it.

As for sound difference, a lot of people make it sound like more than it is, you're just putting a 1/4" thick piece of foam between you and the sound lol. The bowls do form a chamber and all but if they're uncomfortable, don't bear with it. These are so nice!

These are good for me since I spent like 8 days a week with these one, I'm even wearing them even while building stuff lol

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #990 of 65,629
Just now really enjoying one of my trusty old pairs of SR60s (not even the i) and thought I'd post because I'm having so much fun for so little $$$.  Only mod is the FAR more comfortable and slightly better sounding Senn yellow pads, driven by iPod 5.5G LOD to RSA Hornet.  I haven't really used these headphones in a while but they are REALLY great value for the money and very enjoyable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back