Grado Fan Club!
Aug 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #706 of 65,602

Quote:
The bowls are KILLING the outsides of my ears, but the improved sq is forcing me to keep them on. I guess I'll switch back to comfies when my ears start bleeding. 

You too? I thought I was the odd one out with complaints about the bowl pads. I hate bowl pads with a passion, I've ordered a few pairs of comfies, can't wait till they come...then I can finally use my Grado all night long.

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #708 of 65,602
I liked the bowls a lot at first, but now can't stand them because I don't have the same hair covering my ears. Before, with all the hair, I found the comfies to be uncomfortable for some reason, but now I love them. Its weird how things flip sometimes.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #709 of 65,602
yea, you could have just gotten the flats, they change the sound for the better. And you could have quarter modded them.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #711 of 65,602

Quote:
edit: oops I thought I was posting the SR-60 mod topic, which is one below this topic in the main page. Sorry!

I didn't see what you had previously written before your edit, but all talk of Grados is welcome here!

Of course I understand an edit if it was just random and out of context.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #712 of 65,602
Are you guys wearing the bowls right?

High and forward with none of your ear inside the bowl... the headband also takes a WHILE to conform to your head too. I'm 5'9 and weigh 210 (cmon guys I lift weights lol) and I still wear my Grados with the rods all the way up.

I feel they can be more comfortable than the S-CUSH pads just because of how little your ear is touching the actual headphone.

Better bass and resolution too!

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #713 of 65,602
brand new bowls are uncomfortable for me but I was surprised to find how comfy a pair of old, beat up bowls can be. they are much softer and more pliable. I use those on my HF2.

also, every mainstream grado has required me to bend the band to fit my head better and relieve pressure. with a slightly bent band and the worn bowls, grades are super-duper comfortable. and, yeah, rods are almost all the way up in the blocks.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #714 of 65,602

Quote:
Are you guys wearing the bowls right?

High and forward with none of your ear inside the bowl... the headband also takes a WHILE to conform to your head too. I'm 5'9 and weigh 210 (cmon guys I lift weights lol) and I still wear my Grados with the rods all the way up.

I feel they can be more comfortable than the S-CUSH pads just because of how little your ear is touching the actual headphone.

Better bass and resolution too!

I don't think I'm understanding you entirely. Can you post a picture or diagram of what you mean by "high and forward?" Whatever I am doing is very uncomfortable, and I am seriously interested in trying out another method of wearing the bowls.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #715 of 65,602

Quote:
I don't think I'm understanding you entirely. Can you post a picture or diagram of what you mean by "high and forward?" Whatever I am doing is very uncomfortable, and I am seriously interested in trying out another method of wearing the bowls.

So basically the back of the pad is lined with the outer edge of my ear, and the cups are as high as they can go. The front of the pad is basically at the side of my head at this point and the drivers are as far away from my ear canal as possible so nothing touches. The pads really do need to break in for a month too though, they become pillows later :)

But if you look at the headband in the first pic, do you see how it's not a U anymore and it looks like a C now? It stays that shape now and thats really the key to Grado comfort for me. I never get the bending right so I just wear them for 8+ hours a day until they loosen up haha.

The can in the first pic is an SR-225, second is a brand new SR-60. I'm wearing them improperly in the second one since the headband is back more. I always like to have it more forward.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #716 of 65,602

Quote:
brand new bowls are uncomfortable for me but I was surprised to find how comfy a pair of old, beat up bowls can be. they are much softer and more pliable.

I got a new pair of bowls just the other day and pinching around where your ears would rest (fully compressing the foam and letting it snap back a few times) made them feel just as comfortable as the rather ratty pair that came with my sr80s.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #717 of 65,602

Quote:
So basically the back of the pad is lined with the outer edge of my ear, and the cups are as high as they can go. The front of the pad is basically at the side of my head at this point and the drivers are as far away from my ear canal as possible so nothing touches. The pads really do need to break in for a month too though, they become pillows later :)

But if you look at the headband in the first pic, do you see how it's not a U anymore and it looks like a C now? It stays that shape now and thats really the key to Grado comfort for me. I never get the bending right so I just wear them for 8+ hours a day until they loosen up haha.

The can in the first pic is an SR-225, second is a brand new SR-60. I'm wearing them improperly in the second one since the headband is back more. I always like to have it more forward.

I'm about to try this out. Thanks!

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #718 of 65,602
After listening to 3 non-Grado superheadphones, I've concluded that I only like my Grado ones, from the lowly SR60 to the controversial GS1000i. Actually I think it's a lot more than just "like", it's more of "love".
Sigh....so much money wasted...how bittersweet.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #719 of 65,602
@Chrishimself: Don't the sound of the Grados change very much when you wear them with the back of the pad aligned with the back of your ear? It seems very much. Thinner when I do so. Though yes it's a lot more comfortable.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #720 of 65,602
Another quick tip for bowls if it has not been mentioned yet.

Wash them a couple of times with something like fabric softener, rinse, dry and repeat.

Speeds up the break-in process dramatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back