Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #421 of 65,587
Quote:
Wow, hats off to you sir! Those are amazing. 

Thanks Rob! Yeah people look at purpleheart and don't really realize that there's actually a purple tree out there somewhere. 
biggrin.gif

Were you at the Bay Area Meet?

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #422 of 65,587
so, can i put those wooden cups on my Grado SR80s?  
happy_face1.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #423 of 65,587
Sure can my man.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #425 of 65,587
They're just over an inch, so about 3cm.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #428 of 65,587
Hey Bigrock, what kind of sound changes does the 225i experience when its woodied?

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #429 of 65,587
It experiences some pretty substantial differences when woodied. However I'd rather not break the rules so please shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to give you my email address.   

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #430 of 65,587

Quote:
Hey Bigrock, what kind of sound changes does the 225i experience when its woodied?

I could probably answer this question based on person experience.  While I don't own the "i" series of the 225, I do own the regular or classic version.  I also own a pair of SR325 headphones - also, the classic version.  The SR225 headphones have received the bass mods via Bilavideo to include the holes drilled in the drivers as well as wooden cups.  Prior to making my purchase of the "modified" SR225 headphones, I had my pair or SR325 headphones for a few weeks.  However, as soon as the SR225s arrived and I started to play them - and, switch back and forth, the differences were quite noticeable.  The SR225 is my favorite pair right now.  The SR325 is getting a bit lonely just sitting there.  At some point, Bilavideo will provide me with wooden liners for the pair of SR325s.  I'll then post my opinions of the sound after that upgrade has been completed.  If you take a pair of SR225i and add in the cost of modifications, you're still going to be below the price of a pair of RS-2i headphones.  Will the modified SR225i be better than the RS-2i?  I can't answer that.  However, I do believe you will easily agree that the money you spent to upgrade your SR225i was a well spent investment.

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #431 of 65,587

Quote:
I could probably answer this question based on person experience.  While I don't own the "i" series of the 225, I do own the regular or classic version.  I also own a pair of SR325 headphones - also, the classic version.  The SR225 headphones have received the bass mods via Bilavideo to include the holes drilled in the drivers as well as wooden cups.  Prior to making my purchase of the "modified" SR225 headphones, I had my pair or SR325 headphones for a few weeks.  However, as soon as the SR225s arrived and I started to play them - and, switch back and forth, the differences were quite noticeable.  The SR225 is my favorite pair right now.  The SR325 is getting a bit lonely just sitting there.  At some point, Bilavideo will provide me with wooden liners for the pair of SR325s.  I'll then post my opinions of the sound after that upgrade has been completed.  If you take a pair of SR225i and add in the cost of modifications, you're still going to be below the price of a pair of RS-2i headphones.  Will the modified SR225i be better than the RS-2i?  I can't answer that.  However, I do believe you will easily agree that the money you spent to upgrade your SR225i was a well spent investment.

While I'm not really allowed to comment on much, I'll just say that I'll agree with the last statement.

Lets see, how can I make this as vague as possible.... A woodied 225i that may or may not be woodied by Techeromods should sound equal to or sometimes even better than an rs-1i IMO. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #433 of 65,587

Quote:

I cant speak directly to the SQ improvements on a woodied 225 because I havent heard one yet. I did however order a B stock 225 from Headroom last week and plan on dressing them in African Blackwood; and I can tell you that replacing the plastic cup on my SR60 with wood offered significant sonic improvements. The tonal qualities of wood walk all over plastic. What did you do with your SR80's, do you still have them?

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #434 of 65,587

Quote:
I cant speak directly to the SQ improvements on a woodied 225 because I havent heard one yet. I did however order a B stock 225 from Headroom last week and plan on dressing them in African Blackwood; and I can tell you that replacing the plastic cup on my SR60 with wood offered significant sonic improvements. The tonal qualities of wood walk all over plastic. What did you do with your SR80's, do you still have them?

Yes I still have them and as for now they are just chillin' there. I can't stop listening to my 225i. They just sound SO GOOD!! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #435 of 65,587

Quote:
I personally enjoy the SR225i sound signature more than RS1i but I like the RS1 over the SR225i; RS1i just sound too different.

I'm personally setting up a contribution fund so I can afford a pair of RS1i headphones.  Ah, maybe I'll scratch that idea.  When I retire in 20 or so more years, I'll just invest in my "dream rig" and make the splurge at that time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back