Grado Fan Club!
Apr 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #406 of 65,634

Quote:
I think the Audio-GD Sparrow "B" Version is great at $160.  I don't like the more expensive "A" version.

I just had a chance to listen to a couple more tube amps and find the solid state at $160 to be a great value and great sound.

Oh, and the optical-in sounds just a bit better than the USB implementation to me but they are close enough...

Good luck!

Rockin my HF2 with some ABB, Shades of Two Worlds at the moment with the Audio GD Sparrow handling the digital analog conversion duties. It sounds good with my woodied 60's too.

Oh and Bigrock those Cocobolo cups look amazing. I just got  a chunk of African Blackwood to woody a pair of 225's with. I hope my project turns out as nice as those. WOW! just WOW dude.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #407 of 65,634
Apr 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #408 of 65,634

Quote:
the first time, the break was by the jack, so i cut off the old jack and soldered on a higher grade one.

This time, the break occurred right where the wire was coming out of the Y-shaped connector thingy. so i cut off part of that Y-thing and was able to get access to enough wire to solder the cable back together.

Now, i'm putting liquid rubber around the solder joint in hopes of stabilizing it.

Do you have enough room to apply some shrink tube over the existing black cable jacket in that area?  The shrink tube requires a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it down - but, it might make a good seal for your wires.  Then again, the shrink tube would have to be split to apply it around your wires, and could make in in-effective when it comes to the part of shrinking it down (or, at least in those cases, I haven't had much luck).  However, you could still cut a slit on the shrink tube, wrap it around the wires and apply 3 or 4 small black cable ties to hold everything in place.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #409 of 65,634
Thanks d8n0g and Vikingatheart! I don't know if anyone is interested in a pair but if so feel free to visit my website.

I've yet to update the pictures so you'll only see my first generation of cups.  My email is on the website, so If anyone has any questions/requests that is the best way to get ahold of me. Sorry but I cannot disclose my website address due to head-fi rules but I hope you guys can figure it out. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #410 of 65,634

Quote:
Do you have enough room to apply some shrink tube over the existing black cable jacket in that area?  The shrink tube requires a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it down - but, it might make a good seal for your wires.  Then again, the shrink tube would have to be split to apply it around your wires, and could make in in-effective when it comes to the part of shrinking it down (or, at least in those cases, I haven't had much luck).  However, you could still cut a slit on the shrink tube, wrap it around the wires and apply 3 or 4 small black cable ties to hold everything in place.

i've never used shrink tubing and don't have a heat gun, so i just used the liquid latex i had. i wrapped a small piece of cloth around the wire, then covered it with the latex and let it dry. not the most beautiful solution, but the headphones are working again! i have my Grados back!! 

anybody want to buy a near-mint set of Shure SRH440s?  lol

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #411 of 65,634

Quote:
I think the Audio-GD Sparrow "B" Version is great at $160.  I don't like the more expensive "A" version.

I just had a chance to listen to a couple more tube amps and find the solid state at $160 to be a great value and great sound.

Oh, and the optical-in sounds just a bit better than the USB implementation to me but they are close enough...

Good luck!

Haven't tried the Sparrow but I can tell you Audio GD products are  a really good option considering the value-price relation. In my case version A was really worth against version B of the FUN.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #415 of 65,634

Quote:
Thanks d8n0g and Vikingatheart! I don't know if anyone is interested in a pair but if so feel free to visit my website.

I've yet to update the pictures so you'll only see my first generation of cups.  My email is on the website, so If anyone has any questions/requests that is the best way to get ahold of me. Sorry but I cannot disclose my website address due to head-fi rules but I hope you guys can figure it out. 
wink_face.gif

those shells are beautiful man! What woods are those

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #416 of 65,634
Thanks Melvins.

In the first picture: Front right is purpleheart, front left is cocobolo, back right is also cocobolo w/ a little sapwood, and lastly back left is jarrah burl. All are natural exotic wood, no dyes or stains. 
gs1000.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #417 of 65,634
those cups are things of utmost beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back