Grado Fan Club!
Jan 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #61 of 65,658

You can count me in as a Grado groupie!!

I bought my first pair of Grados an hour ago, the SR80i, my first pair of full size cans by the way, and I already know I'm going to buy the RS1.

I've got a fair amount of burn in ahead, but I can already hear where there going and I love it. They make perfect sense for an Ety er4s lover.

I must say though that the build quality is, well, cheesy. But the sound...oh the sound!

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #62 of 65,658
I'll pitch in here, even though I don't actually have any Grados anymore. The SR225i was one stop on my road to satisfaction. It was hard to give it up, as it almost made up for the shortcomings I perceived (limited genre bandwidth, pleasant but obvious coloration, hurt like all Hades) by being freaking amazing with some music. I still haven't found that level of just plain headbanging enjoyment with anything else. I'm hoping another Grado phone will be in my future, now that I've collected a few "reference" cans. The Grado sound is pure energy coupled with seductive midrange warmth--a unique combination I'd love to have again.

I also like the whole family business aspect of Grado Labs--it feels good to support a small business, being part of a family that runs one myself. And John Grado is one of the nicest guys you ever did want to meet (and I want to), based on the reports of those who have spoken to him.

So count me a fan.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #63 of 65,658

Quote:
Quote:
Hair dryer works great on the metal cups, should work on the plastic...just be careful getting the cups too hot causing them to melt/warp. If they do, good excuse to woodie them.

We think alike!!! OK....after you take them apart and make the holes what do you use to glue them back together?? The residue of what you undid?? No Glue??

I didn't even use the hairdryer, and just pulled them apart. It was quite difficult, but you really only need to heat them up enough to weaken the glue (my hairdryer gets incredibly hot, so let yourself be the judge.) The cups will stay on the back without any glue, so I wouldn't glue them back on until you're sure you're done with the mods.

Also, get some woodies. They are great.
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #64 of 65,658
My first and only great headphone at this time are the Grado RS1i's. I have had them for almost 3 months. I listen to them everyday and they get sweeter and sweeter with each passing day.

When I'm at work I crave coming home and slipping into these luscious cans.

I am on the waiting list for a pair of LCD2's. Will my love affair for my Grado's continue or will the LCD2's take all my attention? Or will I love them both? I will have to wait and see.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #65 of 65,658
Woodies?? are you talking about those wooden cups at Jmoney??

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #66 of 65,658

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Hair dryer works great on the metal cups, should work on the plastic...just be careful getting the cups too hot causing them to melt/warp. If they do, good excuse to woodie them.

We think alike!!! OK....after you take them apart and make the holes what do you use to glue them back together?? The residue of what you undid?? No Glue??

I didn't even use the hairdryer, and just pulled them apart. It was quite difficult, but you really only need to heat them up enough to weaken the glue (my hairdryer gets incredibly hot, so let yourself be the judge.) The cups will stay on the back without any glue, so I wouldn't glue them back on until you're sure you're done with the mods.

Also, get some woodies. They are great.
gs1000.gif

opening my SR225's up for the first time when Bilavideo's woodies arrive.
I'm afraid, pfff

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #67 of 65,658
Good news and bad news.

I have owned the 80's which now live with a friend, I currently own the 225's which in my opinionoin are the best for the money you have to shell out. I treated myself to some rs'1's with silver dragon cable just before xmas, they are really REALLY nice.

Now the bad news. I returned from a trip to Austria recently and when I came to have  quiet (hmm quiet he says!) listen to my rs-1's I noticed they sound a bit crackly. Well it turns out y partner had put the headphones in the conservatory whilst I was away and it got to around -15 outside so I think it may have damaged the drivers.

They are an awesome set of cans so if anyone can offer some advice I would be most grateful.

Also, I am thinking of letting someone loose on my 225's so if someone (serious modders only of course) want to try something with them for me, let me know and I shall have a think.

Big Grado fan boy, I even have a tattoo

Joking of course :wink:

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #68 of 65,658

Quote:
Quote:
^ i worry everytime i take my grados out or "on-the-go" because i might damage the drivers... wind, water, fire... etc...

My SR80i's actually lost some of its... "blast" after breaking in. But it got more comfortable to listen to! 
happy_face1.gif

I love my grados! now if only i can mod it to slightly open up the highs... to make it sound more "airy"...

I just cut off the cloth covering the driver front today, and that really helps it open up. also, if you have comfies and not the bowl pads, quarter-modding them (or switching to bowls) yeilds a more open sound that sounds much "closer" if that makes any sense. It feels less like the sound is sitting on your ears and more like its around you. The quarter-mod will be a bigger change than removing the cloth, the cloth is just the icing on the cake. instructions on both are found in Bilavideo's SR60-Mod thread, along with pretty much everything anyone could need regarding the grado since he's prettymuch deconstructed them to the molecular level.

maybe i should buy the bowl pads instead, i might find myself wanting the "pad" sound someday... 
last night i indeed removed the earpads and liked what i heard, though it seriously hurts. 

ive just opened Bilavideo's thread, and wow... you really werent kidding when you said "molecular level"... 

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #69 of 65,658
As a self-confessed Grado fanboy, I am willing to admit that its an illness, and I'm taking steps to try to address my condition. For the money that I am spending on the ATH-AD900 and an amp, I could have been the proud owner of a pair of MS-Pro. If you think I didn't agonise over that decision, maybe this isnt the thread for you.

I think I need a hug. Or another $800.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #70 of 65,658
A couple of weeks ago, I believed that I would never buy cans other than Grados. Now I have decided to pick up a pair of Sennheisers to see what they sound like. I can't believe I am going to do this... 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #71 of 65,658

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, I believed that I would never buy cans other than Grados. Now I have decided to pick up a pair of Sennheisers to see what they sound like. I can't believe I am going to do this... 
confused_face(1).gif

Sennheiser make 4-5 headphones of note, if you don't count the superceded models. 4-5 (opinion seems split on the HD25-1)  from several hundred production models - choose wisely.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #72 of 65,658

Quote:
confused_face(1).gif

I was also convinced I was entrenched in the Alessandro/Grado camp until I inexplicably made an impulse buy on the HD650. Best. Decision. Ever. I still greatly appreciate the energy and attack of my MS-1i but I'm content for the HD650 to be my go to headphone. I don't understand the requirement to adhere to a particular brand or house sound. Monogamy is dull.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #73 of 65,658
I dont think its cast in stone that you have to 'adhere' to anything - people find something they like and follow it to its logical conclusion - with Grado, that is probably the RS1, as the GS1K/PS1K seem to galvanize the 'faithful' by sounding distinctly different to the aforementioned house sound. I like the DT440 a great deal, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I would find the other Beyers to my taste. There is certainly enough difference of opinion here on the DT77/880/990 to stop me making a financial committment to any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back