Grado Fan Club!
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #65,251 of 65,607
I decided to buy a cd transport as I still have a nice reggae cd collection. And I am planning to buy some more non-reggae cd's I used to have a Cambridge cxc transport back in 2018.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #65,252 of 65,607
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #65,253 of 65,607
Just came back home from can jam Singapore , grado headphones were not present.

After trying some high end abyess, focal , Sennheiser and some others , i think the grado headphones are still enjoyable on their own right!

One notable setup which greatly impressed me was final audio d8000 driven by ear yoshino hp4 , it was warm , smooth in all a very musical listening experience. I remember reading from some accounts that ear yoshino hp4 amp was the best for grados and It really seems like it. I may consider getting one in near future.

Another one I enjoyed is the latest stax entry level headphone , crazy performance under 1k

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #65,254 of 65,607
Totally agree with you about the Ear Yoshino HP4 amplifier.
It’s often overlooked.

Did you by chance try the Lotoo wireless transmitter?
Is it lossless and can it be used on any dac with a usb input?
I can’t find any information about it.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #65,255 of 65,607
Totally agree with you about the Ear Yoshino HP4 amplifier.
It’s often overlooked.

Did you by chance try the Lotoo wireless transmitter?
Is it lossless and can it be used on any dac with a usb input?
I can’t find any information about it.
i didn't see any lotoo stuff around. Only Fiio , cayin , A&K ,sony and shanling stuff

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #65,256 of 65,607
I remember reading from some accounts that ear yoshino hp4 amp was the best for grados and It really seems like it.
It is really difficult to listen to the EAR Yoshino HP4. I'm here in the UK and I phoned the EAR Yoshino company to see if they were able to set up listening at their HQ in Cambridgeshire, which would be a couple of hours by train for me, however they don't do that. They gave me the number for a dealer in Guildford, which is quite a bit closer, but he didn't have the HP4 in stock and said it wasn't the kind of thing he would normally carry. So outside of a show I think it is difficult to listen to the HP4.

Personally I tend not to get very attracted to valve amps (what US/Canada people call "tube amps") I think I'm more of a solid state guy, but there are no rules and it is very possible I just haven't listened to the right valve amp for me.

I'm wondering if the EAR Yoshino HP4 would be good enough for my SR325x cans, or maybe I should get something better? :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #65,257 of 65,607
It is really difficult to listen to the EAR Yoshino HP4. I'm here in the UK and I phoned the EAR Yoshino company to see if they were able to set up listening at their HQ in Cambridgeshire, which would be a couple of hours by train for me, however they don't do that. They gave me the number for a dealer in Guildford, which is quite a bit closer, but he didn't have the HP4 in stock and said it wasn't the kind of thing he would normally carry. So outside of a show I think it is difficult to listen to the HP4.

Personally I tend not to get very attracted to valve amps (what US/Canada people call "tube amps") I think I'm more of a solid state guy, but there are no rules and it is very possible I just haven't listened to the right valve amp for me.

I'm wondering if the EAR Yoshino HP4 would be good enough for my SR325x cans, or maybe I should get something better? :gs1000smile:
There are several dealers in the Uk that carry the HP4.
Current retail price is £4800 so might just be good enough for SR325x 😄😄😄

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #65,258 of 65,607
I decided to buy a cd transport as I still have a nice reggae cd collection.
A nice reggae CD collection is a wonderful thing to have!

I'm thinking of getting a CD transport as well, however in the shorter term I'm investigating a new DAC/amp. Once I've got that then I'll be looking into CD transport.

I do have a nice reggae LP collection actually, but I don't want to get back into vinyl.

I was introduced to reggae in London in 1981. A friend of a friend was a club promoter for reggae clubs mostly in Brixton and I with my friend would go with him to the reggae events. We'd get totally smashed and listen to groups that are revered now like Scientist and others.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #65,260 of 65,607
While it’s not Reggae in my case, I’m thinking about getting this toy:
https://headfonics.com/shanling-ec-mini-review/

It's a great unit. Wide soundstage with pretty "analog" sound. I use mine as a CDT via USB to a Woo WA8 or via SMSL DDC to coax on my Naim HE. Although the onboard 4.4 and 3.5 headphone outs are also very good.

Only downside is that it isn't gapless playing CDs.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #65,261 of 65,607
Yesterday, I listened to Interstellar on vinyl (with a Grado hp) before going to bed and it really relaxed me a lot. I love the movie as well. It's science fiction but it's a good story.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #65,263 of 65,607
A nice reggae CD collection is a wonderful thing to have!

I'm thinking of getting a CD transport as well, however in the shorter term I'm investigating a new DAC/amp. Once I've got that then I'll be looking into CD transport.

I do have a nice reggae LP collection actually, but I don't want to get back into vinyl.

I was introduced to reggae in London in 1981. A friend of a friend was a club promoter for reggae clubs mostly in Brixton and I with my friend would go with him to the reggae events. We'd get totally smashed and listen to groups that are revered now like Scientist and others.
Still have a Scientist album on vinyl .

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #65,264 of 65,607
It's a great unit. Wide soundstage with pretty "analog" sound. I use mine as a CDT via USB to a Woo WA8 or via SMSL DDC to coax on my Naim HE. Although the onboard 4.4 and 3.5 headphone outs are also very good.

Only downside is that it isn't gapless playing CDs.
Gapless playing of CD's is a must have for me. Looks like a decent piece of gear, but because of my strong views about gapless, it's a hard pass.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #65,265 of 65,607
hey i got new rs325x i need to burn it ?
I'm now one month in with my SR325x. I didn't have a burn in period with mine I just listened to them straight out of the box. Actually I never have a burn in period with any Hi Fi stuff, I always just start using it.

I'm a total Grado noob, these SR325x cans are my first Grados. I'll mention a few things about this first encounter with the Grado sound. I remember when I first put them on for that first hour or two I was going "What?". It took a couple of hours for my brain to adjust. I'll mention that my main cans prior to this have been the Sennheiser HD800S which are very different.

After that initial two hour introduction period my brain worked out what was going on and adjusted to the Grado presentation. Once I started to get it, then I was really liking it.

I'm now one month in and I think I have probably listened to music with the Grados for about sixty hours in total. If asked I'd say that maybe they have burned in, that they have become more fluid and articulate, however that might very well be a change in my perception, I don't know.

However personally I can't see any need to burn them in, I think you'll start enjoying music with them pretty soon after you plug them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back