Grado Fan Club!
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #64,846 of 65,633
Grado finally got back to me about my 325’is-e-x” situation after some extra prodding (eventually had to go over service dept and message Rich Grado). Im not sure how to respond. I gave Grado the link to my HF post that shares the photos and they are aware of the details. Not sure what next to say to Grado support. Any recommendations @ESL-1 since you have a history dealing with them? My experiences with Grado thus far are not confidence inspiring (failed 325e repair and meh communication, 2months and counting on RS2x repair).
I think they successfully repaired your 325e's, just failed your expectations, lol.
Sounds like they have a healthy stock of e drivers if they noted they were serviced with such.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #64,848 of 65,633
Grado finally got back to me about my 325’is-e-x” situation after some extra prodding (eventually had to go over service dept and message Rich Grado). Im not sure how to respond. I gave Grado the link to my HF post that shares the photos and they are aware of the details. Not sure what next to say to Grado support. Any recommendations @ESL-1 since you have a history dealing with them? My experiences with Grado thus far are not confidence inspiring (failed 325e repair and meh communication, 2months and counting on RS2x repair).
Just sent you a PM, please check it when you can and confirm what I found out.
👍🏻
Thanks

Mar 15, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #64,849 of 65,633
Hadn't listened to the HF2's in years. Reading the recent comments reminded me that I own them! LOL. Listening to them right now. It's like I have my new toy to play with. I find these really are THE Grado's for Rock (I can state that they are definitely for me, YMMV).

Leo
I just got some TTVJ Deluxe pads for HF2 and these cans are still pretty impressive and the sound is neutral (bass sound like Harmon tilt with 50hz drop off), powerful, dynamic and big sounding. The mid range is pretty flat to my ears and just a touch euphoric. The sound is so inviting. These are by far the best pads I have ever used with HF2. No harshness in the upper mid and the treble is now pretty sweet ... who'd have thunk.

Rest of the gear is Pietus Max and NewOntech dac7.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #64,850 of 65,633
I have been on the ZMF site several times and they do display in Canadian dollars for me. At which time I always run away like a scared child when I see the prices and then add tax.:smile:
Way too rich for me.
I have always thought ZMF (dynamics) is like $1k quality cans, plus $2.5k for the woodwork and $500 for all the animal parts.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #64,851 of 65,633
Looks like a nice weekend ahead...

IMG_3794.jpegIMG_3797.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #64,853 of 65,633
.... Wish: A Grado (GH2, GS3000x, Hemp, PS2000e, RS-1, RS-1x) with 300-ohm impedance. I'd love to hear that with a tubed OTL h/p/a ==> Bottlehead Crack, Eufonika HM5, Feliks Espressivio / Echo, Woo WA3 .... ☺️ 🌈 ....

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #64,854 of 65,633
I'd rather drop $2500 on ZMF headphones, even if they're a bit pricey, than getting ripped off by Focals!
I can understand this view. I don't mind over paying a bit if I can have the best (within reason). On some days when I listen to my Utopia I thought I was listening to high end speakers in a small studio with similar level of dynamics and weight and soundstage. I do have some reasonably good electronics behind them but still the performance is solid even if they are over priced (based on BOM and dealer purchase price).

Also, most Focal dealers will work with you on a discount - who pays MSRP for Focal cans?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #64,855 of 65,633
Just arrived...
8F3D8C8C-C6D1-4E63-A56A-BACD3E7383BA_1_102_o.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #64,857 of 65,633
Just sent you a PM, please check it when you can and confirm what I found out.
👍🏻
Thanks
Much appreciated.

Grado is having me send back the 325’is’ with shipping label and says there may have been a mistake and will determine on inspection. Grado is also sending me a new RS2x instead of repairing old one. Not sure why but its great by me. Thanks to Rich Grado!

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #64,858 of 65,633
If I could go back to the past , say 15 years back I would have kept my grado rs1 with button and senn hd600 and be happy. No need for electrostatic ! I was too mesmerised by stax back then but now I just feel its only a different flavour.

The most I've ever spent on a pair of HPs is ~$1400 for original Beyerdynamic T1s with a Black Dragon recable right after they came out. Were they worth it? Hell yes they were. They were my absolute end game and ended a continuous cycle of purchasing pairs and selling them. I will never, ever sell them. I didnt even log in here for at least 5+ years. Now I'm back because I have the source and amplification that makes pretty much everything sound amazing, and it's fun to have different flavors.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #64,859 of 65,633
Personal Grail. I was seriously concerned after purchasing these that it would be an incremental/slight improvement over my RS1x. Happy to say that they are noticeable better for my taste (Classic Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, Americana, Singer/Song Writer, 80's Hair Metal, Jam Band, and Female Vocals). Better clarity and bass over the RS1x (which were brilliant) at first listen. The value certainly isn't there in comparison, but they are decidedly better in my humble opinion. It's every Grado I have ever owned turned up to 11. Very pleased. Will try to capture a more detailed/nuanced impression over time.

51330007-EB52-458C-A498-4752180CEAE7_1_102_o.jpeg

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #64,860 of 65,633
I can understand this view. I don't mind over paying a bit if I can have the best (within reason). On some days when I listen to my Utopia I thought I was listening to high end speakers in a small studio with similar level of dynamics and weight and soundstage. I do have some reasonably good electronics behind them but still the performance is solid even if they are over priced (based on BOM and dealer purchase price).

Also, most Focal dealers will work with you on a discount - who pays MSRP for Focal cans?

I spent a ton of effort trying to like my Utopia, messed around with different tube amps like the Icon HP8 and the Quicksilver, but it just fell flat for me. Wasn't about to fork over 5k for an amp to cover up its flaws. Atrium beats Utopia any day for my ears and preferences, so I moved on. But let's get back to Grado, 'cause that's what this thread's supposed to be about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back