Grado Fan Club!
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #64,831 of 65,622
The really bad thing is that sometimes a higher price tag lends a product more credibility... and many self proclaimed reviewers and publications further this mislead perception.

I think everyone who listens with an open mind can pick out some outstanding offers these times, for whatever taste. Which is obviously a good thing. But those price excesses are hard to ignore.
Absolutely part of their process. I wish I could but I cannot obviously name names but it is often the case especially as you climb in price. I’ve been listening to quality phones for many years and this trend is sometimes so transparent it is ludicrous. I have headphone buddy who Fortunately has a great job so spending big is not a hardship. I could not begin to count how many expensive pieces of gear that he spent time with to only look to return or sell due to his disappointment.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #64,832 of 65,622
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #64,833 of 65,622
I truly believe that many expensive items come down to a final decision of where to price it and is often not a case of cost of R & D and parts. Maybe the bottom line would allow them to sell with good profit for let’s say $2000. They may then decide to raise that number to $3 to $4k to have people think that is more special and unique. Plenty of examples of that happening and it is a real turn off. Since such a manufacturer will never reveal that (of course) the only real barometer is what you think if you get to hear it for yourself. At last week’s CanJam I listened for a second time to a phone with the sick retail of $15,000. The model certainly was built with skill and care but the sound with music I knew would “MAYBE” equate to a $2000 to $2500 competitors model. A Perfect example of what I suspect is the case. BTW, with the fine detail work of its build in my humble opinion the look was absolutely a turn-off and looks quite ugly to my eye. 👁️

Just some mutterings from my end.
A big misconception about manufacturing is that cost of raw materials equals cost of production. It does not. The process of manufacturing is by far the most costly. So the less automated the production is, the more expensive it will be as well. And these higher end headphones are not exactly selling like hot cakes either. Especially with a small company like ZMF. And this is all ignoring R&D.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #64,834 of 65,622
Automated production needs expensive tooling, which requires high demand.

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #64,835 of 65,622
Absolutely part of their process. I wish I could but I cannot obviously name names but it is often the case especially as you climb in price. I’ve been listening to quality phones for many years and this trend is sometimes so transparent it is ludicrous. I have headphone buddy who Fortunately has a great job so spending big is not a hardship. I could not begin to count how many expensive pieces of gear that he spent time with to only look to return or sell due to his disappointment.
Your post reminds me of another one I read in the HD660 S2 thread, I believe it was a couple of days ago. The member was commenting on the different sound quality aspects of his HD660 S2 and just how much he was enjoying it. Then he concluded his post by writing something along the lines of looking at his Abyss1266 Phi TC and feeling a thud in his gut thinking about the price difference between the two. I believe his conclusion meant that either there was hardly any difference in sound quality to validate the price of the Abyss or that he liked the HD660 S2 better.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #64,836 of 65,622
After my personal experience with those expensive headphones I limited myself to ca. 1,5K€. Sometimes I ignore that limit, bending it a bit, but most of the time I'm just happier with what I find around 1k. I don't want to miss my Composer, I'm quite happy with my PS2000e, I like my E3 -- though I sometimes think about selling it. On the other hand I do want to have at least one high end closed back available for when my family objects to my music at times when there's no separate room available :wink:
Exactly my thoughts and my situation as well. Main reason I got the E3. But like you, I actually enjoy my GH2 more… and The Hemp simply destroyed the E3 in my QOTSA test (as it did so far with every other HP I compared with Hemp‘s raw rock feel)… and I have yet to do a real extensive comparison to the RS1 😇

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #64,837 of 65,622
Exactly my thoughts and my situation as well. Main reason I got the E3. But like you, I actually enjoy my GH2 more… and The Hemp simply destroyed the E3 in my QOTSA test (as it did so far with every other HP I compared with Hemp‘s raw rock feel)… and I have yet to do a real extensive comparison to the RS1 😇
Very interesting — and good to hear I’m not alone :wink:
This my purely emotional response to the obviously flawed Grado models I own vs the much less flawed E3 is fascinating, vexing even. But I think the point really is emotion, which is inherently bound to music as well, and maybe therefore triggered especially easy in this context…

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #64,838 of 65,622
Just a quick notice...I do have my GH1 in the classifieds. I think one of the best sounding and looking Grado I ever had. And I had...a lot. It's in EU, even more rare here.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #64,839 of 65,622
Long time lurker of this thread and first time poster.
I love grado.
It is the only headphone that will receive my $ now that I have discovered it.
I have hemp and rs2e. They are so different it is great… I have tried Rs1x and it feels like the perfect balance between them. It will be next :p . I use F pads with all but have been told once overcoming L’s discomfort at first they are best. G’s are a no go for me. Hope everyone’s enjoying there music today!!

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #64,840 of 65,622
Long time lurker of this thread and first time poster.
I love grado.
It is the only headphone that will receive my $ now that I have discovered it.
I have hemp and rs2e. They are so different it is great… I have tried Rs1x and it feels like the perfect balance between them. It will be next :p . I use F pads with all but have been told once overcoming L’s discomfort at first they are best. G’s are a no go for me. Hope everyone’s enjoying there music today!!
The L pads are awesome and my preference. Give them time to break in. I also noticed that it varies a tad when you order them. Some are stiffer than others. Just got a pair of fresh L pads and they were pretty comfy from the get go. I had others that hurt my ears for a solid month.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #64,841 of 65,622
I wish I could but I cannot obviously name names but it is often the case especially as you climb in price. I’ve been listening to quality phones for many years and this trend is sometimes so transparent it is ludicrous.
Why cant you name names?

Very interesting — and good to hear I’m not alone :wink:
This my purely emotional response to the obviously flawed Grado models I own vs the much less flawed E3 is fascinating, vexing even. But I think the point really is emotion, which is inherently bound to music as well, and maybe therefore triggered especially easy in this context…
Im not saying Grado or E3 is better or more accurate, but something…

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #64,844 of 65,622

Grado 325i with 325x drivers and new version of x-series cable (left, below).

Grado assured me that my 325’is’ would be repaired with ‘e’ series drivers. Instead they installed x-driver and x-cable. Im not too mad assuming 325x driver because the new x-cable they installed is much improved over my old 325x’s cable. Anyways, 325ix sounds awesome! Will compare against 325x later but presumably same sound assuming same driver. The drivers look identical at least. Grado did not inform me of repair details.

- 325’is’ repair though different than described by Grado turned out to be a good surprise for me and was swift at ~ 1week turn around time.

- RS2x repair is encroaching now on 2months. I dont miss it much because 325x preferable anyway, and the metal cupped Grados seem less susceptible to cable microphonics.

Will compare PS500e to 325x later.

Apparently I missed limited PS500x. well schiit
Grado finally got back to me about my 325’is-e-x” situation after some extra prodding (eventually had to go over service dept and message Rich Grado). Im not sure how to respond. I gave Grado the link to my HF post that shares the photos and they are aware of the details. Not sure what next to say to Grado support. Any recommendations @ESL-1 since you have a history dealing with them? My experiences with Grado thus far are not confidence inspiring (failed 325e repair and meh communication, 2months and counting on RS2x repair).

Attachments

• IMG_2711.png
    IMG_2711.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #64,845 of 65,622
Just a quick notice...I do have my GH1 in the classifieds. I think one of the best sounding and looking Grado I ever had. And I had...a lot. It's in EU, even more rare here.
You sure you really want to do that? It generally one of the most liked Grado
heritage Series along with the GH2 which is my favorite of the series.

Truth be told I did sell my GH1 at the early stages of my downsizing.

Be well…,

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back