Grado Fan Club!
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #64,816 of 65,642
I feel like if I spent 4k on a pair of headphones, I'd probably go to hell. Lmao.

I ended up paying 4k in Canadian dollars for my Atrium, once I factored in the dollar conversion and import taxes. Fingers crossed I'm not snagging a VIP spot in hell for this one, haha. I also dropped 1k in Canadian dollars for my new PS500x. Being a Canadian audiophile isn't the coolest thing nowadays...

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #64,817 of 65,642
I think a $4K headphone would Blow anyone's mind! For seconds, minutes, hours, days and weeks. And then your brain would acclimate. And after a month or two it would be just another headphone that you would enjoy.

My most expensive buy, so far, was the Focal Radiance @ $990.00US. worked out to about $1,440.00 landed in Canada. They are not my favourite or even in my top five. Nice headphone, but in hindsight I could have spent that money better.

I Love my Focal Clear's! But I had 90-95% of that sound with the Elex's for Much less money.

Unless you have a large bank account or golden ears, I don't get the point of High End headphones. But that is just my opinion and I am sure that many will disagree.

I think entry level to mid-fi is booming. I really like the sound of my iBasso SR2's, Nectar Sound Ambrosia's, FiiO FT5's, etc.
I've been there (used to own the OG Abyss for about a year, know Stealth, Utopia etc. quite well) and, to me, its just not worth it. And this is definitely not about funding such purchases. Obviously others hold these and other expensive models in high esteem, and I'm the last one to tell anybody how to spend their money.
Having those very expensive models may in some cases OK as technology advances through these models, and ultimately trickles down. Thats just fine. But in many cases I cannot shed the feeling that prices are just made out of thin air because *someone* is willing to pay ever more.

After my personal experience with those expensive headphones I limited myself to ca. 1,5K€. Sometimes I ignore that limit, bending it a bit, but most of the time I'm just happier with what I find around 1k. I don't want to miss my Composer, I'm quite happy with my PS2000e, I like my E3 -- though I sometimes think about selling it. On the other hand I do want to have at least one high end closed back available for when my family objects to my music at times when there's no separate room available :wink:

Long story short: perfection is somewhat boring. Which nicely makes the case for the mid range Grado models I think.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #64,818 of 65,642
Long story short: perfection is somewhat boring.
Long story short: perfection is unattainable.

All is limited by physics, recording equipment, whatever editing in the studio, etc. And the lack of our knowlede of what the recording was intended to sound like by the artist or engineer, so how does one guage perfection exactly? Im happy to be content in mid-fi instead of paying more (time x money) for some other heavily compromised fascimile of mystery music. Its difficult to justify much more expensive headphones when they regularly include some new compromise aside from expense anyway. Mid-fi is good enough for me, the hobby is already masochistic enough for my tastes. We were already happily listening to music from our lo-fi before we learned about hifi, so how much better is it being ocd in your audiophile chamber alone? That doesnt sound like something Id want to invest a lot of time x money.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #64,819 of 65,642
I'm not sure so sure, I just feel today that we have more choice at the top end, the ceiling is higher but that doesn't mean we have to be always reaching for it, I hear people saying all the time say "mobile phones these days cost a fortune!" while clasping an iPhone 15 Max in their hands!, no they don't!.

I actually think this hobby is better value than it's ever been in my life time, the choice and value we have at the entry level now is amazing.
I agree 100% with your summation. Technical improvements have led us to more and better performance choices at the lower cost end of the spectrum. The enthusiast with a limited budget has a number of very respectable headphones joining the the ever present Grado SR-60 series at below $100. Amps that sound good also in that range of cost have also become a real attraction and obvious value.

I also don’t look to spend any bigger money than is necessary to keep me happy. If I have had the good fortune to have heard something that really knocks my socks 🧦 off I can then make a more informed decision whether it is worth it to me.

As the high end goes higher there often is the trickle down affect as some of that technology may start to appear in their less expensive models.

Of course the used market can often be the way to find items for less than their original dollars.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #64,820 of 65,642
I ended up paying 4k in Canadian dollars for my Atrium, once I factored in the dollar conversion and import taxes. Fingers crossed I'm not snagging a VIP spot in hell for this one, haha. I also dropped 1k in Canadian dollars for my new PS500x. Being a Canadian audiophile isn't the coolest thing nowadays...
I have been on the ZMF site several times and they do display in Canadian dollars for me. At which time I always run away like a scared child when I see the prices and then add tax.:smile:
Way too rich for me.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #64,822 of 65,642
I've been there (used to own the OG Abyss for about a year, know Stealth, Utopia etc. quite well) and, to me, its just not worth it. And this is definitely not about funding such purchases. Obviously others hold these and other expensive models in high esteem, and I'm the last one to tell anybody how to spend their money.
Having those very expensive models may in some cases OK as technology advances through these models, and ultimately trickles down. Thats just fine. But in many cases I cannot shed the feeling that prices are just made out of thin air because *someone* is willing to pay ever more.

After my personal experience with those expensive headphones I limited myself to ca. 1,5K€. Sometimes I ignore that limit, bending it a bit, but most of the time I'm just happier with what I find around 1k. I don't want to miss my Composer, I'm quite happy with my PS2000e, I like my E3 -- though I sometimes think about selling it. On the other hand I do want to have at least one high end closed back available for when my family objects to my music at times when there's no separate room available :wink:

Long story short: perfection is somewhat boring. Which nicely makes the case for the mid range Grado models I think.
I truly believe that many expensive items come down to a final decision of where to price it and is often not a case of cost of R & D and parts. Maybe the bottom line would allow them to sell with good profit for let’s say $2000. They may then decide to raise that number to $3 to $4k to have people think that is more special and unique. Plenty of examples of that happening and it is a real turn off. Since such a manufacturer will never reveal that (of course) the only real barometer is what you think if you get to hear it for yourself. At last week’s CanJam I listened for a second time to a phone with the sick retail of $15,000. The model certainly was built with skill and care but the sound with music I knew would “MAYBE” equate to a $2000 to $2500 competitors model. A Perfect example of what I suspect is the case. BTW, with the fine detail work of its build in my humble opinion the look was absolutely a turn-off and looks quite ugly to my eye. 👁️

Just some mutterings from my end.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #64,824 of 65,642
I feel like if I spent 4k on a pair of headphones, I'd probably go to hell. Lmao.
It also depends on whose $4000
Headphone to begin with. I feel there are more that are not really worth it than are. Better carry a cooler of ice 🧊 just in case you fail to resist.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #64,825 of 65,642
I think a $4K headphone would Blow anyone's mind! For seconds, minutes, hours, days and weeks. And then your brain would acclimate. And after a month or two it would be just another headphone that you would enjoy.

My most expensive buy, so far, was the Focal Radiance @ $990.00US. worked out to about $1,440.00 landed in Canada. They are not my favourite or even in my top five. Nice headphone, but in hindsight I could have spent that money better.

I Love my Focal Clear's! But I had 90-95% of that sound with the Elex's for Much less money.

Unless you have a large bank account or golden ears, I don't get the point of High End headphones. But that is just my opinion and I am sure that many will disagree.

I think entry level to mid-fi is booming. I really like the sound of my iBasso SR2's, Nectar Sound Ambrosia's, FiiO FT5's, etc.
Retrospective wisdom is an exact science :darthsmile: You wouldn't have known, hadn't you been there.....

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #64,826 of 65,642
Hadn't listened to the HF2's in years. Reading the recent comments reminded me that I own them! LOL. Listening to them right now. It's like I have my new toy to play with. I find these really are THE Grado's for Rock (I can state that they are definitely for me, YMMV).

Leo
:darthsmile: I was thinking along the same lines, when listing tonight with my HF3 - pretty nice sound although a tad on the bright side

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #64,827 of 65,642
I truly believe that many expensive items come down to a final decision of where to price it and is often not a case of cost of R & D and parts. Maybe the bottom line would allow them to sell with good profit for let’s say $2000. They may then decide to raise that number to $3 to $4k to have people think that is more special and unique. Plenty of examples of that happening and it is a real turn off. Since such a manufacturer will never reveal that (of course) the only real barometer is what you think if you get to hear it for yourself. At last week’s CanJam I listened for a second time to a phone with the sick retail of $15,000. The model certainly was built with skill and care but the sound with music I knew would “MAYBE” equate to a $2000 to $2500 competitors model. A Perfect example of what I suspect is the case. BTW, with the fine detail work of its build in my humble opinion the look was absolutely a turn-off and looks quite ugly to my eye. 👁️

Just some mutterings from my end.
The really bad thing is that sometimes a higher price tag lends a product more credibility... and many self proclaimed reviewers and publications further this mislead perception.

I think everyone who listens with an open mind can pick out some outstanding offers these times, for whatever taste. Which is obviously a good thing. But those price excesses are hard to ignore.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #64,828 of 65,642
Long story short: perfection is unattainable.

All is limited by physics, recording equipment, whatever editing in the studio, etc. And the lack of our knowlede of what the recording was intended to sound like by the artist or engineer, so how does one guage perfection exactly? Im happy to be content in mid-fi instead of paying more (time x money) for some other heavily compromised fascimile of mystery music. Its difficult to justify much more expensive headphones when they regularly include some new compromise aside from expense anyway. Mid-fi is good enough for me, the hobby is already masochistic enough for my tastes. We were already happily listening to music from our lo-fi before we learned about hifi, so how much better is it being ocd in your audiophile chamber alone? That doesnt sound like something Id want to invest a lot of time x money.
Yes, perfection is obviously a far away and unreachable target.

I'm always quite happy that I mostly listen to electronic music on headphones, where I don't have anything "real" to chase. Which is why my access is similar to yours, and I try to focus on the fun in music, glancing over errors in reproduction.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #64,829 of 65,642
Retrospective wisdom is an exact science :darthsmile: You wouldn't have known, hadn't you been there.....
I have gone through a Ton of headphones. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back