Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #64,381 of 65,638
The GS1000 is purchased to an other person, now ….but I purchased the RS1x 😊
I’m very curious…which from both sounds better for me (GH2 or RS1x) ….but they probably sound very similar and I'll have to look for a GS1000/i/e/x.
GH2 and RS1x are quite different actually. I like the GH2 more, by quite a margin.
GS1000X is also quite different from GH2, and to me even behind the RS1x but more spacious.

I think the GH2 is a good allrounder while with the other two it depends on your choice of music and preferences.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #64,382 of 65,638
I can not say that the GS1000i is on the muffled side. In direct comparison with the GH2 and RS2e, which I also owned, for me the GS1000i had much more treble energy and transparency than the both others. I heard them with McIntosh MCD 500 / C22 / MC 225 and B-Tech Speaker Control Box.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #64,383 of 65,638
I can not say that the GS1000i is on the muffled side. In direct comparison with the GH2 and RS2e, which I also owned, for me the GS1000i had much more treble energy and transparency than the both others. I heard them with McIntosh MCD 500 / C22 / MC 225 and B-Tech Speaker Control Box.
Maybe it's that massive amount of bass and mids that make it sound muffled for me. EQ'ed it is indeed edible and enjoyable with the right kind of music.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #64,384 of 65,638
GH2 and RS1x are quite different actually. I like the GH2 more, by quite a margin.
GS1000X is also quite different from GH2, and to me even behind the RS1x but more spacious.

I think the GH2 is a good allrounder while with the other two it depends on your choice of music and preferences.
I agree with your assessment wrt GH2 and RS1x: GH2 you can use for everything and I really love it, whereas to my ears RS1x provides more details both overall and in the upper range. So for me it depends on the mood and music which one I chose. (The Hemps is a funny fellow; I have considered selling, but when I then try it - I regret).....

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #64,386 of 65,638
@Luckyleo As you seem to have both, any chance you could share your rough impression of the SR325x VS GS3000X?
Highly likely not too big of diff based on what I hear from gs3000e Vs rs1x

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #64,388 of 65,638
@Luckyleo As you seem to have both, any chance you could share your rough impression of the SR325x VS GS3000X?
I'll give it a try. I'm not a reviewer, can't talk PraTT, or plankton for that matter. Also, it's been my experience that Grado's can be driven very easily, but I've noticed that they scale up very well. My system of Yggy + GS2 and V222 SS or Feliks Audio Espressivio has really transformed both hp's for the better. As always, YMMV!!!

That being said, the 325x has great bass extension, while still reflecting the Grado house sound. However, differences between it and the 30000x are quite substantial. The 3000x as compared to the 325x

1) Much larger sound stage which also reflects the air between instruments. Not close in my opinion
2) Much better Timbre - Fully balanced sound from bass to mids to treble. Everything just sounds so right. Smooth, no "grit" that some may notice and appreciate with the 325x
3) Tighter, more punchy bass, but doesn't get quite as deep as the 325x

Now, you might think that given the substantial differences I noted above that I would be selling my hemps, 325x, and RS1x. I'm not going to anytime soon!!! Although I believe the 3000x is technically superior to the other headphones, and at least in my mind sounds substantially better, I love the others and change things up often. When I do, I find a reminder why I like the 325x and the others. Different flavors for different moods.

If I was rating this review, I would give it about a 4.5 out of 10. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Regardless, enjoy your Grado's and listen to the music!

Leo

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #64,389 of 65,638
I'll give it a try. I'm not a reviewer, can't talk PraTT, or plankton for that matter. Also, it's been my experience that Grado's can be driven very easily, but I've noticed that they scale up very well. My system of Yggy + GS2 and V222 SS or Feliks Audio Espressivio has really transformed both hp's for the better. As always, YMMV!!!

That being said, the 325x has great bass extension, while still reflecting the Grado house sound. However, differences between it and the 30000x are quite substantial. The 3000x as compared to the 325x

1) Much larger sound stage which also reflects the air between instruments. Not close in my opinion
2) Much better Timbre - Fully balanced sound from bass to mids to treble. Everything just sounds so right. Smooth, no "grit" that some may notice and appreciate with the 325x
3) Tighter, more punchy bass, but doesn't get quite as deep as the 325x

Now, you might think that given the substantial differences I noted above that I would be selling my hemps, 325x, and RS1x. I'm not going to anytime soon!!! Although I believe the 3000x is technically superior to the other headphones, and at least in my mind sounds substantially better, I love the others and change things up often. When I do, I find a reminder why I like the 325x and the others. Different flavors for different moods.

If I was rating this review, I would give it about a 4.5 out of 10. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Regardless, enjoy your Grado's and listen to the music!

Leo

Thanks a lot! This makes a lot of sense and I can actually understand what you're saying.

My "reviews" are, in fact, mere write-ups both because I cannot and do not want to do something different.

I rate your review 10/10 for my needs, thank you very much for your help! I shall place the order for my GS3000x tomorrow I think (but I'm also keeping my SR325x :wink:).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #64,391 of 65,638
It's surprising that 325x goes deeper. Does it have more sub bass than 3000x does?
For me talking about subbass in the context of Grados is quite a stretch :wink:
But the GH2 and the PS500 do present bass more to my liking than the GS3000x, so I’d consider it possible that the 325x does as well. I’m still thinking about adding one more Grado, so I think I’ll have to try

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #64,392 of 65,638
For me talking about subbass in the context of Grados is quite a stretch :wink:
But the GH2 and the PS500 do present bass more to my liking than the GS3000x, so I’d consider it possible that the 325x does as well. I’m still thinking about adding one more Grado, so I think I’ll have to try
I agree. With the right equipment I've achieved very good, tight, controlled bass. Wonderful indeed. but I agree you aren't going to get sub-bass out of these phones. (If I'm mistaken, please let me know! )

Leo

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #64,393 of 65,638
• Sub-bass & Grado headphones is close to an oxymoron.
• In the case of Grados that 'come with' G-pads (presently GS1000x, GS3000x; previously GS1000, GS1000e, GS2000, GS2000e, GS3000e, PS1000, PS1000e, PS2000e), precise fitting / location of the drivers / pads on your ears is critical.
• This is due to the size of the drivers and to the 'angle' of the G-pad inner surface. Plus, avoiding slippage in the gimbal / rod / block assemblies is critical to getting the optimum sound from a 'G-pad Grado'. [This is why I use the Nyczaj Audio hardware. There are small hex nuts that allow the firmness of earcup placement to be adjusted.]
• With the above, deep bass rendition is for me enjoyable and satisfying.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #64,394 of 65,638
• Sub-bass & Grado headphones is close to an oxymoron.
• In the case of Grados that 'come with' G-pads (presently GS1000x, GS3000x; previously GS1000, GS1000e, GS2000, GS2000e, GS3000e, PS2000e), precise fitting / location of the drivers / pads on your ears is critical.
• This is due to the size of the drivers and to the 'angle' of the G-pad inner surface. Plus, avoiding slippage in the gimbal / rod / block assemblies is critical to getting the optimum sound from a 'G-pad Grado'. [This is why I use the Nyczaj Audio hardware. There are small hex nuts that allow the firmness of earcup placement to be adjusted.]
• With the above, deep bass rendition is for me enjoyable and satisfying.
I find that the GH2's have a nice amount of bass with my Violectric V220, or for you, the V281.
And they are pretty fun with a tube amp.
Lastly, the iFi amp with bass boost really gives them some fun.

They won't match the Focal Clear's for bass, but those mids...along with some added bass is addictive. :heart_eyes:

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #64,395 of 65,638
I find that the GH2's have a nice amount of bass with my Violectric V220, or for you, the V281.
And they are pretty fun with a tube amp.
Lastly, the iFi amp with bass boost really gives them some fun.

They won't match the Focal Clear's for bass, but those mids...along with some added bass is addictive. :heart_eyes:
.... and I am really 😍😍 GH2 with L-pads!! ☑️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back