Grado Fan Club!
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #64,352 of 65,629
Nonsense.

OK, well my RS-2Xs with G pads sound terrible out of my phone with a $40 DAC, and fantastic out of my main setup. You can believe what you want to believe.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #64,353 of 65,629
I usually do not listen to SR325X with the G pads

But when I do it is to this (exclusively):
kf.jpg

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #64,356 of 65,629
Nonsense.
I'm gonna get push back. But I gotta say it. I really do think pad rolling does more harm than good for grados. I've been doing a lot of experimenting recently, as many here have probably seen. Trying the F pads. Even tried softening the L pads artificially as some here have recommended in the past and even on other forums. I always go back to the pads they are tuned for. If someone prefers their grados with a different pad, that's great. I will never try to talk them out of it. Because it's what they enjoy. And enjoyment is king. But I've gone right back to square one every time. I think grados are best suited for the pads that John tuned them for.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #64,357 of 65,629
Got the Beautiful Audio pads today. Very, very comfortable as noted above!. I do like the sound very much. Richer sounding than my other Grado pads. Treble tweaked down a small bit (I guess I'm treble sensitive so this is a great result).

The owner was a pleasure to work with!!! I may outfit my son-in-law's Hemps with some of this brand. I gave him the Hemps, so he might as well get some more good Grado/Grado related gear!IMG_1719.jpeg
They are also Awesome on Hemp's.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #64,359 of 65,629
I'm gonna get push back. But I gotta say it. I really do think pad rolling does more harm than good for grados. I've been doing a lot of experimenting recently, as many here have probably seen. Trying the F pads. Even tried softening the L pads artificially as some here have recommended in the past and even on other forums. I always go back to the pads they are tuned for. If someone prefers their grados with a different pad, that's great. I will never try to talk them out of it. Because it's what they enjoy. And enjoyment is king. But I've gone right back to square one every time. I think grados are best suited for the pads that John tuned them for.
It seems so. I hate the G pads on the RS2x also, needs more volume yes and also some bass EQ but still awful. As as the flats, just a mushy sounding bass flabby mess. BA and Nyczaj are great though,

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #64,360 of 65,629
I can agree with this, although some cushions are not as liked as others, they were tuned for that specific can. People hate F and L, even S at times… and I will agree they can all be very discomforting if not softened or broken in.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #64,361 of 65,629
Can someone tell me in which year the various Grado GS 1000 were built? Which GS 1000 is the best?
The GS 1000 was sold from 2006 to 2009. In 2009, the GS 1000i arrived, which had thicker cables. In terms of sound, the two differ in that the GS 1000 has a brighter and more spacious sound, while the GS 1000i has significantly more foundation and a much more present midrange, but not quite as wide a stage.

For those who were used to the old GS 1000/GS 1000i series, the successor models of the e-series and even more so the X-series may already sound reduced in the treble range. At least that's how I felt when I directly compared my GS 1000i with the RS2e and the GH2. Of course, as always, how much treble you need is a matter of personal taste.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #64,362 of 65,629
After 2 days with the Rs-x1 the cable got to me
But I did not fancy ungluing the driver on 2 day old £750 headphone
So I have put inline 3.5mm 3 pole female socket
IMG_4041.jpg
I also took apart the old cable from my 325x
basically the 2 reds(+)left side run straight from the plug via the Y connector to the driver
also the two white right side (+) run straight from the plug via the Y connector to the driver
The 4 blue cables all got to the Y splitter and are joined together then a pair go to each driver
IMG_4040.jpg
This is only a temp mod unit I have plucked up courage to fit sockets into the shell
Now this is great! Which female plugs did you use ?

Also, since this is my first soldering in the audio world, when cutting the wire attached to the HPs, which color goes to which part of the plug ?

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #64,363 of 65,629
You don't have enough power and/or EQ.
Or.... he just doesn't like the sound, and no amount of power/equalizer will help. Your experiences are not the posters experiences..... Just saying :)

Leo

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #64,364 of 65,629
The GS 1000 was sold from 2006 to 2009. In 2009, the GS 1000i arrived, which had thicker cables. In terms of sound, the two differ in that the GS 1000 has a brighter and more spacious sound, while the GS 1000i has significantly more foundation and a much more present midrange, but not quite as wide a stage.

For those who were used to the old GS 1000/GS 1000i series, the successor models of the e-series and even more so the X-series may already sound reduced in the treble range. At least that's how I felt when I directly compared my GS 1000i with the RS2e and the GH2. Of course, as always, how much treble you need is a matter of personal taste.
Thanks for the info. So, there isn't necessarily a better Grado, just a different sounding Grado!?
I already had a few Grados (SR325, GW100, The Hemp, The White, GH2)….
The only Grado I kept was the GH2 because I like it best. I can buy a GH1000 quite cheaply and am thinking…. I just don't know if it's too old and if it's better than the GH2.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #64,365 of 65,629
Or.... he just doesn't like the sound, and no amount of power/equalizer will help. Your experiences are not the posters experiences..... Just saying :)

Leo

Or, he might like the sound on a different setup, because they are certainly not a "drastic downgrade in sound" on mine.

Of course they sound their best with the pads they were designed for. But do the G pads still sound good and bring something different to the table? Better comfort, and and airier sound with more instrument separation. I would never leave them on permenently, but it's easy to swap them for a change of pace. If they didn't work at all, I would have sold them within a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back