Grado Fan Club!
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #64,231 of 66,258
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #64,233 of 66,258
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #64,234 of 66,258
Ah didn't see this was already linked. Apologies

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #64,236 of 66,258
No worries.
The upper mid suck out is preferable to me. My preference may be related to Equal Loudness Contour or simply personal.
Fair, I love the grado upper mids. Really depends on what you want. But that's half the reason I didn't like the F pads on the RS1X. The upper mids gives the sound that magical energetic edge that I love. Can be painful with stuff like 80s pop music that is very shouty. But it's a super power for rock and metal.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #64,237 of 66,258
Fair, I love the grado upper mids. Really depends on what you want. But that's half the reason I didn't like the F pads on the RS1X. The upper mids gives the sound that magical energetic edge that I love. Can be painful with stuff like 80s pop music that is very shouty. But it's a super power for rock and metal.
Yes. It is awesome and addictive but I find it a bit grating over extended sessions. In my younger days I found it a totally acceptable compromise especially considering the low price of an SR60. But nowadays I dont want anything to come near activating my tinnitus. The old man blues :frowning2:

edit: ymmv! every one’s situation is different Trying headphones for yourself is most reliable way to know.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #64,238 of 66,258
Yes. It is awesome and addictive but I find it a bit grating over extended sessions. In my younger days I found it a totally acceptable compromise especially considering the low price of an SR60. But nowadays I dont want anything to come near activating my tinnitus. The old man blues :frowning2:
I feel that. I'm no old man. But I recently saw Fear Factory live. By far the loudest band I've ever seen. And I've been to a lot of concerts. My ears were ringing for 3 days straight and I didn't even touch any of my headphones. I just let my ears heal. That is not fun

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #64,239 of 66,258
I feel that. I'm no old man. But I recently saw Fear Factory live. By far the loudest band I've ever seen. And I've been to a lot of concerts. My ears were ringing for 3 days straight and I didn't even touch any of my headphones. I just let my ears heal. That is not fun
Oh my... I've worked a side job as a live sound technician for many years, first thing I purchased when starting out was professional custom hearing protection (Neuroth). 250€ well spent... with rather linear -15dB filters installed I could mix without problems. Cool thing was that the body vibrations of a massive sound system were fully intact of course -- that helped me keep the output levels at bay. Because its always tempting to have the master fader there within reach :wink:

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #64,240 of 66,258
Oh my... I've worked a side job as a live sound technician for many years, first thing I purchased when starting out was professional custom hearing protection (Neuroth). 250€ well spent... with rather linear -15dB filters installed I could mix without problems. Cool thing was that the body vibrations of a massive sound system were fully intact of course -- that helped me keep the output levels at bay. Because its always tempting to have the master fader there within reach :wink:
Too late for me. In my youth I'd go target shooting with an M1 Garand, no hearing protection. My audiologist says I have trouble hearing female voices..."See! I tell my disgruntled spouse! :relaxed: I wish hearing protection would have been more known way back when.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #64,241 of 66,258
Too late for me. In my youth I'd go target shooting with an M1 Garand, no hearing protection. My audiologist says I have trouble hearing female voices..."See! I tell my disgruntled spouse! :relaxed: I wish hearing protection would have been more known way back when.
I'm really sorry to hear that. Yes, shooting is very taxing for the ear. Nowadays there are specialized protection systems available for shooting that react to the SPL spikes by temporarily increasing damping...
Having an audiologists attest for selective hearing might be helpful though as you indicate :wink:

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #64,242 of 66,258
I always figured concerts are supposed to be loud and fun. But after that, I may bring hearing protection next time tbh. That was insanely loud. Orbit culture played before them. They were nowhere even close to being as loud. It was an amazing show tho, even if it felt like my head was going to explode lmao

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #64,243 of 66,258
Yep. That will do it. I always wear hearing protection when shooting at least lol. I'd probably be deaf by now if I hadn't. Mag dumping an AK would be brutal on the ears.

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #64,244 of 66,258
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #64,245 of 66,258
I lost a pair of grados today.
My brother gave my dad an iPod and he did not like the headphone that he had since 1970s(taped up and glued together) so I gave him my SR80.
He is made up with them love the sound and the lightness so we now have a new 87year old grado user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back