Grado Fan Club!
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #64,216 of 65,629
Hi All

I have been enjoying my first Grado, the GH4, immensely. I haven't touched my other headphones since these came in. They sound special out of my Arche and great straight out of the Macbook which was a surprise.

I picked up a pair of Beautiful Audio pads for them and I'm trying to understand what each of the different inner foam inserts do. There are some references in this thread to open cell etc but no photographs so I'm not sure which is open cell. Attached is a photograph of the inserts that came with the pads. Left is the softest. Middle is a harder white foam and the black pads are like netting.

I'm trying to retain the GH4 sound but improve comfort from the stock pads. A solution might be to try to fit the L pads as the insert.

Attachments

• 20240211_135914.jpg
    20240211_135914.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #64,217 of 65,629
Hello :ksc75smile:

I like sparkly, bright headphones and i was thinking about getting grados (SR325x) and i dont know the difference between the SR models.
I really like how the SR325x look, very retro.

I can get a lot of there stuff locally for cheaper than MSRP.

Is there a big difference between the SR80x and the SR325x or the other models ?

I also wanted to get different pads beucase i dont really like on ear headphones, the L pads or the nyczaj pads, are the nyczaj pads better than the L pads? I heard that they are much more comfortable but it is double the price but i can get the shipping very cheaply. I also heard about the BA pads but they are a little expensive for me 125$. :triportsad:

Also are the hemps sound signature sparkly like the other ones or is it "neutral" ?

If i will really like grados i might get this:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
https://www.nyczaj.audio/product-page/comfort-silver-complete-headband--for-grado-headphones

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #64,218 of 65,629
I am thinking to add a grado sr325 to my collection but wonder which iteration of sr325 is the best one . X , e ,is or the gold one . All of them are available on eBay

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #64,219 of 65,629
I am thinking to add a grado sr325 to my collection but wonder which iteration of sr325 is the best one . X , e ,is or the gold one . All of them are available on eBay
Is the "SR 325" the original black one?
I wouldn't say any are the "best"--just depends on what suites your tastes best.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #64,220 of 65,629
Something about those cushions with the driver closer to your eardrum. I still find myself returning to S cushions at times!
Yes, for doubling the distance between source and ear you loose 3dB. The added distance is definitely at play here.

I'm still thinking about that PS500e... I seldom use the PS500 I already own, though its really fun. The 6.3mm Connector makes is a bit less flexible, plus I already have a hard time rotating between my current set GH2, Composer and E3. Maybe I should not spend 400€ for another headphone mainly living in its shell.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #64,221 of 65,629
Hello :ksc75smile:

I like sparkly, bright headphones and i was thinking about getting grados (SR325x) and i dont know the difference between the SR models.
I really like how the SR325x look, very retro.

I can get a lot of there stuff locally for cheaper than MSRP.

Is there a big difference between the SR80x and the SR325x or the other models ?

I also wanted to get different pads beucase i dont really like on ear headphones, the L pads or the nyczaj pads, are the nyczaj pads better than the L pads? I heard that they are much more comfortable but it is double the price but i can get the shipping very cheaply. I also heard about the BA pads but they are a little expensive for me 125$. :triportsad:

Also are the hemps sound signature sparkly like the other ones or is it "neutral" ?

If i will really like grados i might get this:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
https://www.nyczaj.audio/product-page/comfort-silver-complete-headband--for-grado-headphones
From what I've read the 325's are on the bright side. That's the reason that I went with 225x's as my first Grado's. Don't like bright. The SR80's get a lot of love here. I would say as you go up the Grado ladder you can tell a difference in the sound. When I went from the 225x's to the RS2x's there was a noticeable difference. Which you would expect in a headphone that costs more. I've read that the Hemps's aren't sparkly and they get a lot of love here too. Enjoy your journey.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #64,222 of 65,629
Hello,
I was curious if Grado is for me that’s why I bought a sr60e because I read that sr60 could be a good start into the Grado world.
And what can I say…I love it.
It fits to the music I like, which is at the moment from the singer and songwriter genre.
I was even surprised how a headphone so cheap can sound this good.

I’ll enjoy this one a little before upgrading.

For am upgrade in the future I thought about an Grado rs2e (and not a sr325e) because it is as light.
In which way is the sound signature of the rs2e different to the sr60e (sr “Family”)?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #64,224 of 65,629
Hello,
I was curious if Grado is for me that’s why I bought a sr60e because I read that sr60 could be a good start into the Grado world.
It fits to the music I like, which is at the moment from the singer and songwriter genre.

For am upgrade in the future I thought about an Grado rs2e (and not a sr325e) because it is as light.
In which way is the sound signature of the rs2e different to the sr60e (sr “Family”)?
Once you get the Grado fever, you never go back. Enjoy. Honestly, do your own research. Everyone has their own preferences. But what I will say is that if you like the sr60, you'll probably like any of them. Grados as a whole are more similar to each other than they are different. So enjoy the sr60. Do some reading. Be patient. And whatever you upgrade to, you'll probably definitely love it.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #64,225 of 65,629
Once you get the Grado fever, you never go back. Enjoy. Honestly, do your own research. Everyone has their own preferences. But what I will say is that if you like the sr60, you'll probably like any of them. Grados as a whole are more similar to each other than they are different. So enjoy the sr60. Do some reading. Be patient. And whatever you upgrade to, you'll probably definitely love it.
Thanks very much for this nice reply! I’ll do as you say 😊.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #64,226 of 65,629
I am using an ibasso dc elite dongle now and I find it very good for Grado hp's ! I sold the astell&kern sp3000. A fellow Belgian headfi member advised me to try it out. He also likes Grado very much !!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #64,227 of 65,629
Hi All

I have been enjoying my first Grado, the GH4, immensely. I haven't touched my other headphones since these came in. They sound special out of my Arche and great straight out of the Macbook which was a surprise.

I picked up a pair of Beautiful Audio pads for them and I'm trying to understand what each of the different inner foam inserts do. There are some references in this thread to open cell etc but no photographs so I'm not sure which is open cell. Attached is a photograph of the inserts that came with the pads. Left is the softest. Middle is a harder white foam and the black pads are like netting.

I'm trying to retain the GH4 sound but improve comfort from the stock pads. A solution might be to try to fit the L pads as the insert.
Open-cell means the foam is porous. Some materials / foam are more porous than others which has an effect on sound…

The black foam/mesh material in your pic is the most porous and looks to be designed to be least obstrusive as possible on sound and mostly there for maintaining pad shape and structure. The white foam material looks much less porous and should have an obvious difference in sound, if the effect is better or worse is up to you. Ive had a version of Beautiful Audio pads before, I will not reveal which insert material I preferred.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #64,228 of 65,629
I am using an ibasso dc elite dongle now and I find it very good for Grado hp's ! I sold the astell&kern sp3000. A fellow Belgian headfi member advised me to try it out. He also likes Grado very much !!
ibasso and grado go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #64,229 of 65,629
Hello,

Back when I tried all of the "e" series, my favourites were the SR60e and SR225e...

I couldn't stand the SR325e or RS2e... Way too bright and no bass.

SR325x and RS2x finally brought the bass and toned down the tizz to my ears.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #64,230 of 65,629
Open-cell means the foam is porous. Some materials / foam are more porous than others which has an effect on sound…

The black foam/mesh material in your pic is the most porous and looks to be designed to be least obstrusive as possible on sound and mostly there for maintaining pad shape and structure. The white foam material looks much less porous and should have an obvious difference in sound, if the effect is better or worse is up to you. Ive had a version of Beautiful Audio pads before, I will not reveal which insert material I preferred.
Well you convinced me to start the order process for my Grado RS-1X. I'm looking at the Hybrid in green leather.....so you all can be "green" with envy! :ksc75smile:

UPDATE: I ordered. Owner very nice and helpful!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back