Grado Fan Club!
Feb 6, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #64,186 of 65,610
🤷‍♂️ I love the Dekoni velour pads on GH2 and Hemp. Comfortable to wear (in contrast to L or F) and the sound is full and vibrant 👌
Not surprised re: the GH2, a bit re: the Hemp which also has default F pads.

The SR325X ended-up so far off their default tuning: hollow, distant, with everything that I liked about its tuning being sucked out.

Glad you you're happy with yours though! My 2nd favourite pair of Grado were the RS2e with G-Cush pads :wink:

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #64,187 of 65,610
Quick follow-up on pad swaps with the SR325X: to make it simple, unless you’re into messy tunings, avoid all alternative pads except the standard F or S pads (similar alternatives should be fine).

The palm of ****y tunings however goes to the Dekoni Custom velour pads… they’re the pinnacle of these-should-not-even-be-advertised-as-being-compatible-with-these-models, it’s so bad it’s almost funny.

Bottom-line, as probably stated here ad nauseaum, Grados are tuned for the pads they come with and the Presitge series must have the drivers very close to your ears… anything else, beware.
I couldn't disagree more. With the stock pads, they lacked life. With G pads they are richer and fuller. Better soundstage too. AND they are much more comfortable.

I switched back to see if I was "talking myself into it", but nope. I'll never put the stock pads back on again.

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #64,188 of 65,610
I couldn't disagree more. With the stock pads, they lacked life. With G pads they are richer and fuller. Better soundstage too. AND they are much more comfortable.

I switched back to see if I was "talking myself into it", but nope. I'll never put the stock pads back on again.
The G-Cush pads weren't the worse on the SR325X for me but veered too far off their stock, intended, tuning which I prefer.

As always, YMMV — Pad swapping on Grados is probably the easiest in the hobby so we would be mistaken not to enjoy/experiment with it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #64,189 of 65,610
Q. Try listening to a Grado sans earpads?
A. 😳😬😦

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #64,190 of 65,610
No, I should really try a Grado cartridge one day. It's the Ortofon quintet blue I am using right now that came with the project x8 turntable.
Absolutely a good idea. Not to forget for a good number of years just making and improving their very popular phono cartridges was all Grado made and sold. Headphones came much later.

Very good value and sound at many price points. The Prestige Gold, top of that series hits way above its price point and has that wonderful Grado midrange and natural sound. The Opus wood body model would be the next step up.
Since I was in retail audio I got to sell MANY Grado phono cartridges over the years.
At one time I had over 12 phono cartridges all mounted on headshells ready to be quickly mounted and balanced. Gave me the opportunity to really know the characteristics of each.
BTW, a tidbit; Joseph Grado held the patent on moving coil cartridges. He never made any to sell since he felt his moving iron magnetic cartridge sounded better.

I am currently using Grado cartridges on two of my turntables.

Below: my Dynavector DV505, a very unique approach.

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpeg
    IMG_8261.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #64,192 of 65,610
Q. Try listening to a Grado sans earpads?
A. 😳😬😦

I was not aware of that trend. I guess you could just pin 📌 them to your ears, keeps them in place.

I got my ear pierced in order to pin Grados to my ears sans earpads.

My Grados are now unofficially equipped with bone conduction drivers.

But again, YMMV, it very much depends on your bones and the metal used.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #64,193 of 65,610
I was not aware of that trend. I guess you could just pin 📌 them to your ears, keeps them in place.
For the PS2000e, one would need a staple gun ... 😯😫.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #64,194 of 65,610
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #64,195 of 65,610

But again, YMMV, it very much depends on your bones and the metal used.
I actually have a have a unique Sony headphone that does have a conducive bass tube that comfortably works well. Also set up like Mytek

Any manufacturer come out with power thrust injectors as yet?

Attachments

• IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #64,196 of 65,610

But again, YMMV*** it very much depends on your bones and the metal used.
*** your metal may vibrate .... 🤪

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #64,199 of 65,610
Playing Pat metheny acoustic style jazz Lp on my SR325e via project turntable into a cheap class A Douk amp. All good. Just wish pat was playing more and his faster stuff. Lol .

Attachments

• 20240206_214851.jpg
    20240206_214851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #64,200 of 65,610

Attachments

• EQ settting.jpg
    EQ settting.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back