Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #63,902 of 65,609
Well just added another grado to my collection . Already have the sr325i gold . But bought a mint hardly used sr325e today , And without comparing them yet, these sound very good . And that's only playing direct ftom s fiio M7 audio player. Playing some jazzy podcasts from Podomatic in basic quality.......

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #63,903 of 65,609
I have the SR80x grade, there is a lot of difference in sound between the SR80x and the SR325x, I listen to pure rock and metal.
'pure'? 🤔 ?

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #63,904 of 65,609
Tested the F pads finally and I'm....sticking to the L pads. The L pads just sound cleaner on the RS1X. The F pads lifted the bass a bit and made the mids more intimate. Gotta say I really liked that. But the soundstage is so much better with the L pads. It's night and day. It just sounds bigger and more dynamic with the L pads. And while the bass is far more gentle, it also sounds cleaner and more tactile. It's an all around more balanced sound imo. Tho, I can see why some prefer the F pads.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #63,905 of 65,609
Tested the F pads finally and I'm....sticking to the L pads. The L pads just sound cleaner on the RS1X. The F pads lifted the bass a bit and made the mids more intimate. Gotta say I really liked that. But the soundstage is so much better with the L pads. It's night and day. It just sounds bigger and more dynamic with the L pads. And while the bass is far more gentle, it also sounds cleaner and more tactile. It's an all around more balanced sound imo. Tho, I can see why some prefer the F pads.

If I recall correctly about the RS1x, the tape mod should give a little boost to the bass without messing too much with the soundstage and top end.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #63,906 of 65,609
If I recall correctly about the RS1x, the tape mod should give a little boost to the bass without messing too much with the soundstage and top end.
I read the same thing on SBAF. Also read that they sound better as the L pads get worn in.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #63,908 of 65,609
Might be worth a try. I think I also might just stick with pads as is and let them naturally form to my ears overtime. I don't really mind the bass. It's punchy enough for my needs. I mostly use my grados for rock and metal anyways. For 80s pop and electronic music, I mostly use my 6XX. Maybe I'm a nutcase, but I never really thought metal needed a ton of sub bass to sound good, but mid bass definitely. And these headphones have great mid bass.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #63,909 of 65,609
I don't really mind the bass. It's punchy enough for my needs. I mostly use my grados for rock and metal anyways. For 80s pop and electronic music, I mostly use my 6XX. Maybe I'm a nutcase, but I never really thought metal needed a ton of sub bass to sound good, but mid bass definitely. And these headphones have great mid bass.

I don't fuss too much about sub-bass, but I'm all about that punch, heft, and weight in the notes. Thanks to my ZMFs spoiling me over the years, it's a bit of a struggle getting back into Grados, they sound kinda thin and lacking in bass compared to my other headphones.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #63,910 of 65,609
I don't fuss too much about sub-bass, but I'm all about that punch, heft, and weight in the notes. Thanks to my ZMFs spoiling me over the years, it's a bit of a struggle getting back into Grados, they sound kinda thin and lacking in bass compared to my other headphones.
I can see that. And don't get me wrong. More sub bass is always welcome, as long as it isn't muddy. It's one of the main reasons I plan to eventually get the atticus or aeolus. I suppose my thought process is weird. I simply think that when it comes to these cans, John knew what he was doing. Ig I just get the sound. Maybe I'll order a second pair of L pads one of these days and do the tape mod so I can compare it.

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #63,912 of 65,609
Tbh I've taped modded a few and gone round the houses always end up coming back to stock pads the phones are tuned to, eventually got a Mojo 2 and found fiddling with the EQ for different genres was easier. Just use Nyczaj and Beautiful Audio now

I'm with you on this one. With the Mojo 2, there's no need to bother with the tape mod. The built-in EQ is a game-changer for me. Most of the time, I use the Mojo 2 as a DAC, tweaking the EQ for my GH1 and RS2x. Wish I had the Mojo 2 back when I had the RS1x a year ago.

Jan 19, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #63,913 of 65,609
I'm with you on this one. With the Mojo 2, there's no need to bother with the tape mod. The built-in EQ is a game-changer for me. Most of the time, I use the Mojo 2 as a DAC, tweaking the EQ for my GH1 and RS2x. Wish I had the Mojo 2 back when I had the RS1x a year ago.
tbh eq aside. I wish more amps had bass boost implementations. It's one of the best features of my falcon.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #63,914 of 65,609
tbh eq aside. I wish more amps had bass boost implementations. It's one of the best features of my falcon.
Best feature on my iFi. :thumbsup:

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #63,915 of 65,609
We're on the same page with the RS1X (I remember your posts around the time I bought mine). Not sure the Mojo 2 would've saved them - I just didn't find the 1X's to take to EQ. Something like Audeze on the other hand are great with EQ - IME, Grados not so much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back