Grado Fan Club!
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #62,851 of 65,604
Also must reiterate that I am comparing Grado vs Grado. Differences at this scale might be exaggerated or magnified. On the grand scale, SR225 (F-pad) is not on the boomy radar compared to say an TH-X00. Further, I think F-pads seem to minimize the differences between Grado relative to if L-pads were equipped.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #62,852 of 65,604
Which pads are you using? F-pads I think are a tad too too dark. L-pads mid-highs sound balanced but I wish there was a tiny bit more bass. So Im going to try PS500e as that appears to be middle ground between RS2e and RS2x. I tried RS2e with ttvj deluxe pads and thought they were very slightly treble presence forward. I would be interested to try RS2e again eventually.

And my like for the vintage SR80 (F-pads) has me curious to try more vintage. Tonally, SR80 (F-pads) is preferable to RS2x (F-pads). Ive done some other padrolling with RS2x but havent found one just right for me yet, wip.
I use the stock pads on all my Grado.

My trials of pad rolling changed the sound, but stole some of the magic.

A fair conclusion is than they seem to know what they are doing in Brooklyn.

This may be why many of us have multiple pairs of Grado for different occasions.

All that being said, I have to concur with your earlier suggestion that the PS500e would be an interesting listen. I still think there is a market for the PS500x were it to come to market. I may have missed it, but has anyone reviewed the PS500x?

Oct 8, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #62,855 of 65,604
fwiw:
IMG_1005.jpeg

^ FPC, aligned at 1kHz

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #62,857 of 65,604
Ordered another SR60. Didnt measure last one before sending off. Im guessing its the same as SR80. Subjectively they sounded the same. Will at least become guinea pig for installing cable quick disconnects.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #62,858 of 65,604
IMG_1011.jpeg

First impressions of PS500e (F-pads) relative to SR80 (F-pads), more microdetail and more blackground, an increased sense of depth. Bass is cleaner with improved macro and microdynamics. These impressions are from iPhone dongle.

Warning: perception of technical qualities can be effected by frequency response and first impressions are not very well reliable.

Tonally, Im getting the sense it has at least as much bass as SR80. Deep bass of SR80 was apparent but distortion I felt was a weakness, around HD650 level. PS500e bass distortion seems to be much improved, more microdetail and microdynamics, easier to hear subtle higher harmonics.

Tonally and technically, I get the sense that guitars are a little more crunchy with PS500e. SR80 a little more edgy in treble, PS500e tone and resolution allows less grain.

Another warning: my schitty ears, memory, perspective, and communication.

The nyczaj parts do make the headphone look more expensive as a whole.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #62,859 of 65,604

First impressions of PS500e (F-pads) relative to SR80 (F-pads), more microdetail and more blackground, an increased sense of depth. Bass is cleaner with improved macro and microdynamics. These impressions are from iPhone dongle.
Gets even better with dedicated headphone amplifier (tube / hybrid / solid-state).
Warning: perception of technical qualities can be effected by frequency response and first impressions are not very well reliable.
Especially if libations preceded the listening session 😀🤪.
Tonally, Im getting the sense it has at least as much bass as SR80. Deep bass of SR80 was apparent but distortion I felt was a weakness, around HD650 level. PS500e bass distortion seems to be much improved, more microdetail and microdynamics, easier to hear subtle higher harmonics.
PS500e has some of the best bass from a Grado headphone. This will be apparent when a dedicated headphone amplifier is used. Only PS2000e (discontinued) bass is better.
If one installs the Nyczaj Audio gimbal assemblies (with Turbulent Labs headbands), the sound improves appreciably. Because the hardware is aluminium & non-resonant: clarity, focus, impact are all heightened. This is true even with PS2000e.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #62,860 of 65,604
@Philimon , thank you for your post. You steered me to this:
5DFA9497-8B10-4692-941B-B70484A3B2BF.jpeg
😀

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #62,861 of 65,604
IMG_1011.jpeg

Tonally and technically, I get the sense that guitars are a little more crunchy with PS500e. SR80 a little more edgy in treble, PS500e tone and resolution allows less grain.

Another warning: my schitty ears, memory, perspective, and communication.

This is one of the few (maybe only) headphones I regret selling. Spring cleaning (earlier this year) got the best of me 🧹

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #62,862 of 65,604
nearly 4200 pages here... hmm...... Ok if someone can give me the TLDR digest please :relaxed: :

I've had a pair of GS-1000e headphones for several years and like them a lot, even though they are clearly not neutral. Driving them unbalanced from an RME ADI-2 FS. What differences might I expect to hear if I upgraded to the GS-3000X ? thanks.

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #62,865 of 65,604
More bass, better resolution and dynamics and overall the sound will be more calm and less sharp. BTW I loved listening piano music on GS1000e :)
ok all that sounds good, except the weight - one of the best things of all about the GS-1000e is their lightness on my head, can almost forget I'm wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back