Grado Fan Club!
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #62,551 of 65,615
@musiclvr

Nice write up... Now I'm coveting the PS500x. 😿

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #62,552 of 65,615
Hello people, I am new to the audiophile world, I came across a video by Z reviews and then researched about it a bit and I feel like purchasing my first high end headphones. The music I listen to are mostly rock/indie/metal and hip hop. I now use Tidal hifi plus. I find Grado headphones to be so beautiful and since they also have a long history, i feel like getting my first one from them.

Should I buy the GS3000x? and if so what dac/amp should i use? I would like my set up to be as minimum as possible too. I heard that the cable is not removable, is that a problem? I like Grado because of the family run background and the appearance of the headphones.
For Rock music you can start with 325x or Hemp. They would have more mid bass than GS3000x. The GS3000x is more a HD800 competitor - big sound stage, less bass.
Also higher models have even thicker cable. See if can live with 325x cable first. This cable weights as much as the headphone.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #62,553 of 65,615
@musiclvr

I’m not. What’s the point? Only 5 available.. let’s see them go for 15 grand on “the bay” within the end of this year. Total missed opportunity on Grados part not releasing a full follow up to one of their beloved models.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #62,554 of 65,615
For Rock music you can start with 325x or Hemp. They would have more mid bass than GS3000x. The GS3000x is more a HD800 competitor - big sound stage, less bass.
Also higher models have even thicker cable. See if can live with 325x cable first. This cable weights as much as the headphone.

In my experience, the higher models are for experienced head-fiers. The headphone alone won't do the miracle by itself.

For beginners, the 80x and 325x are totally safe buy. The 80x is amazing, very neutral and open sound. The 325x is thicker sound and big presence.

Both will impress whatever the source and system.

My RS2x was not love at first impression at all. I almost don't understand, sounds thin and dry, but the rest of my system is totally beginner and almost nonexistent. It is my favorite now? Absolutely. I'm in heaven with it this week because I upgrade with a very hiend usb cable my iFi Zen Dac. I was shocked by the refinements, details and lack of fatigue in long listening. Now I'm using the Zen Dac with the TrueBass on and it's working great with everything.

The higher models needs dedication but it's totally worth. :)

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #62,555 of 65,615
In my experience, the higher models are for experienced head-fiers. The headphone alone won't do the miracle by itself.

For beginners, the 80x and 325x are totally safe buy. The 80x is amazing, very neutral and open sound. The 325x is thicker sound and big presence.

Both will impress whatever the source and system.

My RS2x was not love at first impression at all. I almost don't understand, sounds thin and dry, but the rest of my system is totally beginner and almost nonexistent. It is my favorite now? Absolutely. I'm in heaven with it this week because I upgrade with a very hiend usb cable my iFi Zen Dac. I was shocked by the refinements, details and lack of fatigue in long listening. Now I'm using the Zen Dac with the TrueBass on and it's working great with everything.

The higher models needs dedication but it's totally worth. :)
Even if you’re experienced headfier the Grado cable itself can make you hate Grado. Especially 8 core cable on GS series.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #62,557 of 65,615
Now I’m curious. Which USB cable?
(Searching one.)

It's a brand from my country and I think they don't sell overseas, sorry. It was a big upgrade. The cable itself is so more expensive then the iFi Zen Dac itself, but it feels now very reference grade than a entry level dac. Really amazing the correction in tonal balance and total lack of fatigue. I think Curious Cable is very famous and iFi also sell one.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #62,558 of 65,615
I would love to hear (own) PS500x … but in the meantime …
530F6CD3-C2AA-47C6-A465-AF5AD4C5AB04.jpeg
… basking in truly great sound 😌.

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #62,559 of 65,615
Doesn't make sense that they don't make more PS500x if they sell out so quickly :confused: :briefcase: :deadhorse:

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #62,561 of 65,615
Grado discontinued the Professional Series after the PS500/2000e so they never made a PS500x.
Yes, I have been on this forum for quite a while...

But New Coke was a plan to improve sales and look how that went...

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #62,562 of 65,615
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #62,563 of 65,615
were they sealed in the box? I would return them right away if they were not sealed not even test them out if it were me.
Even if an existing seal isn´t broken (Grado Pizza boxes f.e.), this is no indicator for a new headphone. Got it with a few models. :wink:
I told them years ago about that market related "issue". Grado´s are the reason i came back to this hobby, but their support is not the best in my experience.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #62,564 of 65,615
Even if an existing seal isn´t broken (Grado Pizza boxes f.e.), this is no indicator for a new headphone. Got it with a few models. :wink:
I told them years ago about that market related "issue". Grado´s are the reason i came back to this hobby, but their support is not the best in my experience.
This is why whenever I do, if I ever do buy a Grado it’s when they are new. But I’ve had the smells good n’ freshly new ones break down on me as well. I feel I have nothing add to this page for time time being. Take care everyone.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #62,565 of 65,615
Doesn't make sense that they don't make more PS500x if they sell out so quickly :confused: :briefcase: :deadhorse:
I do think there are only enough parts for the few that are made or might yet be made. I would love to hear one especially side by side with the PS500e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back