Grado Fan Club!
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #62,371 of 65,948
Very nice build, congratulations!!
...here you can see my twin, but with P1 driver and silver-graphene cable. Sounds beautiful!
The Elleven Acoustica driver needs some time to burn in (about 50-100 hours....). Keep that in mind.
:L3000:

The cable you'll get at aliexpress at lunashops onlinestore.
Search for:

99% Pure Silver + Graphene Silver Plated Shield Earphone Cable For Hifiman Sundara Ananda HE1000se HE6se DEVA he400se Arya XS

So, no ?

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #62,373 of 65,948
Just rediscovered the specialness of the Grado SR125e. As you move up the line from less to more expensive, this is the best Grado before the products switch to the L bowls, from the flats. The flats are more comfortable and, as the stock pad for the SR125e, are part of the standard chain for which Grado optimized the sound. Plus the SR125e includes several features of higher end Grados, such as the thicker (8-conductor?) cable and the tighter specs on matching drivers.

So I rewarded my SR125e by gifting it with the brown leather headband over that Grado gives to its Refernce series, like the RS1e. Sounds even better!
The 125's don't get much love here. It's either the 80's or 325's. I have a pair of SR225x's that I enjoy. I want to move up the Grado ladder probably sometime this fall.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #62,374 of 65,948
Just rediscovered the specialness of the Grado SR125e. As you move up the line from less to more expensive, this is the best Grado before the products switch to the L bowls, from the flats. The flats are more comfortable and, as the stock pad for the SR125e, are part of the standard chain for which Grado optimized the sound. Plus the SR125e includes several features of higher end Grados, such as the thicker (8-conductor?) cable and the tighter specs on matching drivers.

So I rewarded my SR125e by gifting it with the brown leather headband over that Grado gives to its Refernce series, like the RS1e. Sounds even better!
The brown headband of course sounds more light & airy while the black bands sound darker…….

Gee, that almost sounds plausible….. 😎, ha. I also really like the look of the brown/tan leather. Nice..

Aug 19, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #62,375 of 65,948
No, they're not Grado's.
They're custom built with alternative parts including the drivers.
I think that they should be in a different thread then.

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #62,376 of 65,948
Interesting find on head-fi: 634ears.com. Ear buds with lots of sound tweaking options. I just ordered miroak 2 with Cocobolo wood. Let’s see how this sounds and fit. Makes me wonder how close you can get to Grado sound with the appropriate build options.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #62,377 of 65,948
I think that they should be in a different thread then.
Fair objection, but I will say that if you look through this thread there is a lot of discussion/photos, etc. of custom builds using both factory Grado parts and custom parts that are directly inspired by Grado sound signature and styling. I put these together, as have others, due to sincere fandom of Grado sound and styling (hence the Grado Fan Club page). Do I love stock Grados? Sure do. Do I love modified Grados? Yes, certainly. Do I love custom cans inspired by Grado sound and style? You bet. I've owned all three types and fan all around.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #62,378 of 65,948
Fair objection, but I will say that if you look through this thread there is a lot of discussion/photos, etc. of custom builds using both factory Grado parts and custom parts that are directly inspired by Grado sound signature and styling. I put these together, as have others, due to sincere fandom of Grado sound and styling (hence the Grado Fan Club page). Do I love stock Grados? Sure do. Do I love modified Grados? Yes, certainly. Do I love custom cans inspired by Grado sound and style? You bet. I've owned all three types and fan all around.
It wasn't meant as a personal slight & I have regularly commented on similar posts that I have read.

I regularly buy second hand / used headphones, grados included. The increasing availability of these parts & kits worries me to such an extent that I am very weary of buying used grados now. I am aware of some concessions made such as "SERTIES", but these are easily overcome. It is clear that your headphones are not trying to imitate genuine grados, but I have seen a lot that are doing just that.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #62,379 of 65,948
It wasn't meant as a personal slight & I have regularly commented on similar posts that I have read.

I regularly buy second hand / used headphones, grados included. The increasing availability of these parts & kits worries me to such an extent that I am very weary of buying used grados now. I am aware of some concessions made such as "SERTIES", but these are easily overcome. It is clear that your headphones are not trying to imitate genuine grados, but I have seen a lot that are doing just that.
Understood - and I agree, I would never condone the use of "Grado" parts made by people passing them off as the genuine article from Brooklyn. These, and others, I would put in the 'Inspired by' or 'in homage to' category for Grado fans. The headband is genuine Grado-made though (from my Ps500e), which raises a Ship of Theseus type quandary

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #62,382 of 65,948
No info on what kind of wood they use on them and the drivers are matched .1 db What might as well spend an extra fifty and get them more balanced and know what kind of wood I am getting
They at least mention maple wood on their website:
https://gradolabs.com/pokemon

And they also mention the drivers are matched by .05dB. There is mostly a small difference in drivers. But you won't hear it. And those drivers are more matched than our ears themselves.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #62,383 of 65,948
And they also mention the drivers are matched by .05dB. There is mostly a small difference in drivers. But you won't hear it. And those drivers are more matched than our ears themselves.
I’d be very interesting in how the match is done actually… e.g. at how many frequency points.

To me the stereo imaging seems exceptionally stable, which I’d attribute to well matched drivers.

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #62,384 of 65,948
They at least mention maple wood on their website:
https://gradolabs.com/pokemon

I see this now. Hmm it states as .1 db matched on the Pokémon Center website which is what I referred to when looking up. This is good to know the .05 db difference isn’t a dealbreaker anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back