Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #62,236 of 66,261
I decided to try the RS2x - I've been offered them new from online dealer with a 30% discount. Will get them next week. If I love them, brilliant, if I don't I can return them for the 325x. I just really want the wood for the looks and the light weight, and hopefully a slightly smoother tone.
I really like the RS2x... Listened to the Joni Mitchell Live at Newport with them yesterday... ended up being late for an appointment (which is very rare for me).

I find them comfy and easy to enjoy. When I want to watch a student video or YouTube or "just listen quickly" they are my first choice.

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #62,238 of 66,261
Is this true? I'm not familiar with the X driver series, but with the 'e' series, I always felt the RS2e was a more refined (a bit moar betterer) version of the 325e. Maybe different with the X series? I can't talk however, because I never heard a Grado I didn't like

I've already posted, but I really like my SR325x and RS2x, but for different reasons.

SR325x is more immediate, very suited for rock and guitars. GREAT BASS tuning - maybe the best of all my headphones. In some ways I think of it as a supercharged SR225e with real bass. It is a bit narrow and upfront, but not bright like SR325e or RS2e.

RS2x is warm with good bass, but not as much as SR325xs (way better bass than RS2e or SR325e both of which I detested). Fairly wide soundstage and great vocals.

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #62,239 of 66,261
IMG_4076.jpeg

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #62,240 of 66,261
Just out of interest, why do you prefer an iPod over an iPhone for music playback?
Multiple reasons. First for me would be not having to go through a lightning to headphone Jacks with Grados heavy cables… I usually spend over 100 dollars a year on them when I only used my iPhone… simpler layout…and I find touch screens to be pretty horrid. But to change that this only applies to click-wheel models of course.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #62,241 of 66,261
ipod.jpg

After our marketing class, I decided to buy the last iPod Touch engraved... It sounds great with my Audeze iSine and iSine 10 (unreal) with cipher cable.

Sounds decent with my grados too.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #62,242 of 66,261
I’m pretty confident the iPhone with lightning dongle probably sounds better than iPod. But that is not the point of why I would want to own one at all. Less zig zagging around settings on iPod, smaller form factor, a little lighter, more pocket friendly, more keen on purchasing music for the artists you think deserve it, more private, direct connection from mini Jack, much less accidental disconnections from device. If they add more storage space for lossless tracks and up the battery life a little and take out all the added crap that shouldn’t be in an iPod like web browser etc. I would be all for it, but I have no confidence or very little that they will cater to make an iPod just for me so be it.

If I ran Apple. Due to Apple’s long popular iPod name.. I would release a new iPod touch and also an “old-school” version with click wheel without all the extra bells and whistles. Strictly a music player. And release and announce them both at the same time. Even if it’s not a hit. I doubt it would hurt the company much.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #62,243 of 66,261
I excavated my iPod Classic recently, and there was no contest in terms of sound for me - iPhone with lightning adaptor (and iPad with USB-C adaptor) was far superior to the iPod, immediately noticeably so. But like ekolite says and fans of DAPs will attest to, it was just nice/novel to be using a simplified, focused device for music.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #62,244 of 66,261
I excavated my iPod Classic recently, and there was no contest in terms of sound for me - iPhone with lightning adaptor (and iPad with USB-C adaptor) was far superior to the iPod, immediately noticeably so. But like ekolite says and fans of DAPs will attest to, it was just nice/novel to be using a simplified, focused device for music.
Let it run on headphones in the background for a couple hours and come back to it. My iPhone can sound pretty rough when I go on a cd binge for a few days and go back to it. Especially with headphones that bring out the mids like Grados. Most electronics can be like this. But iPhones/iPods definitely so. I find restarting my iPhone and running pink/brown noise for a little while remedies this much faster, then t might not be a perfect difference, but I bet your Classic will sound much better after applying those steps.

Edit: A tip - this must really be a thing now because iPhone includes burn in noise in their iOS! Scroll down to control panel and touch the ear icon and click on background sounds and you can select from an array of constant burn in noises.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #62,245 of 66,261
The focus the old iPod classic offers is what I appreciate most, headphone jack and sound quality second. I'm sure Apple won't issue a new one, and I don't see alternatives that appeal to me. I've long used A&K players, last eon being the AK380SS. Nice device, although much too heavy for carrying round, but the newer models are too streamlined for my taste. Also too many of them to keep up with.

I know that problem with the Apple adapters and ruined a lot of those Lightning dongles even without the heavier Grado cables. They sound impressively for such a tiny device, but mechanically they are no replacement for a built-in jack.

I never use my old Hugo on the go, but will have to play around with it given my new acquisitions... still a fine device, and quite powerful.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #62,246 of 66,261
Now for something completely different... can anyone lend me a hand in deciding on possibly getting the GS3000x? A comparison with the models I know would be most welcome, preferably GH2 or Hemp, but also RS2x or GS1000x would help. Unfortunately no possibility to try out myself, and I want to avoid ordering one, opening it and sending it back -- I should have some picture upfront, and would prefer to order via my local shop (the one enduring my currently frequent visits)...

Aug 12, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #62,247 of 66,261
Hey - another check to see if anyone has an extra steel headband they could sell me. Have all my other parts and need to connect these beauties - thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2845.jpeg
    IMG_2845.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #62,248 of 66,261
Steel band found. I’ll post more pics when I get everything together

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #62,249 of 66,261
Had a problem when I woke up today with crackling distortion out of my left driver on my Hemps. Maybe some of the glue I wiped off with sandpaper from the drivers when I removed the help lead bottoms. I used a shop vac tube and sucked the back of the cup with the vacuum. Didn’t completely work. As a last resort I pushed on the cable insert into the left cup in and out and that did the trick. Clean sound now and happy again. By the way anyone on here totally I have communicated with that wants to add me on Facebook I just made an account on on Facebook look up Joe Odle from Litchfield, Illinois. Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #62,250 of 66,261
Yesterday I had the opportunity to listen to the Grado GS3000x thanks to @ESL-1 and it was a very delightful experience. Anyone who is remotely interested in the GS3000x owes it to themselves to go and demo it (if possible). Stunningly beautiful Cocobolo cups combined with aluminum driver housings make this an exceptionally comfortable headphone, with a slightly warm and neutral sound. Thanks again, Joe!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back