Grado Fan Club!
Aug 11, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #62,191 of 66,261
Yesterday I seized the opportunity to test some Grado models with different pads. With both my GH2 and my small pad collection I went to try out what I forgot to do last time. Nice to have a local shop where I can play around…
I had the RS1x, the RS2x, the SR225x as well as a short listen with the GS1000x. Source was once again my iPod Classic with my usual music, I.e. electronic.
Again I was amazed by home ich the sonic signature changes with the pads. My small collection includes F, L and G, all quite new.
My short notes from listening:

RS2x with F-pads: bass ok, treble misses sparkle, very direct, missing soundstage

RS2x with G-pads: good soundstage, nice bass, sparkling treble, good rendering of voices
RS1x with F-pads: too prominent mids, still no bass, treble is rather dull

RS1x with G-pads: better, more space, a hint of bass

SR225x: nice overall impression, nothing spectacular but very good at its price point. Used with the default F-pads only

GS1000x: lightweight, beautiful, voices are amazing, it’s detailed, spacious… but where’s the bass? Seems to roll off below 200Hz, a bass drum doesn’t go boom, but tack.
The real surprise was how much I liked the RS2x with the G-pads. It was really transformed, it would be an interesting addition.
Yet the current virus that took hold of me seems to be the GS3000x. I knew that the GS1000x is rather different, yet it still was quite… unexpected in its extend. Interesting side note: the shop had one unit there ordered by a customer who was amazed by the GS1000x and wanted nothing else… tastes obviously differ. Quite a bit.
I’d like to ask those in the know to help me out a bit by a diff GS3000x vs. GS1000x (and/or Hemp/GH2)… I could get a good price but it would be a blind buy. Not that easy in this price range. So any help with some insight would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I slowly come to terms with the new cable it seems… seemed not to constantly fight it this time.
IMG_1008.jpegIMG_1009.jpegIMG_1010.jpegIMG_1011.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #62,192 of 66,261
Yesterday I seized the opportunity to test some Grado models with different pads. With both my GH2 and my small pad collection I went to try out what I forgot to do last time. Nice to have a local shop where I can play around…
I had the RS1x, the RS2x, the SR225x as well as a short listen with the GS1000x. Source was once again my iPod Classic with my usual music, I.e. electronic.
Again I was amazed by home ich the sonic signature changes with the pads. My small collection includes F, L and G, all quite new.

RS2x with F-pads: bass ok, treble misses sparkle, very direct, missing soundstage

RS2x with G-pads: good soundstage, nice bass, sparkling treble, good rendering of voices

SR225x: nice overall impression, nothing spectacular but very good at its price point. Used with the default F-pads only

GS1000x: lightweight, beautiful, voices are amazing, it’s detailed, spacious… but where’s the bass? Seems to roll off below 200Hz, a bass drum doesn’t go boom, but tack.
The real surprise was how much I liked the RS2x with the G-pads. It was really transformed, it would be an interesting addition.
Yet the current virus that took hold of me seems to be the GS3000x. I knew that the GS1000x is rather different, yet it still was quite… unexpected in its extend. Interesting side note: the shop had one unit there ordered by a customer who was amazed by the GS1000x and wanted nothing else… tastes obviously differ. Quite a bit.
I’d like to ask those in the know to help me out a bit by a diff GS3000x vs. GS1000x (and/or Hemp/GH2)… I could get a good price but it would be a blind buy. Not that easy in this price range. So any help with some insight would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: I slowly come to terms with the new cable it seems… seemed not to constantly fight it this time.
IMG_1008.jpegIMG_1009.jpegIMG_1010.jpegIMG_1011.jpeg
Do you have your iPod classic loaded with lossless files or are you digging into it with aac? Your findings with the pads are fascinating for me. All I hear on here about the 3000x is how amazing the bass is.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #62,193 of 66,261
Do you have your iPod classic loaded with lossless files or are you digging into it with aac? Your findings with the pads are fascinating for me. All I hear on here about the 3000x is how amazing the bass is.
The files I use are ALAC, the Apple Lossless format, in CD resolution bought from Qobuz. Not a fan of high res…

I‘ve always known that pads are an essential part of the tuning, but most headphones won’t let me change so easily… very welcome. I expect to have some beautiful audio pads in autumn btw

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #62,194 of 66,261
The files I use are ALAC, the Apple Lossless format, in CD resolution bought from Qobuz. Not a fan of high res…

I‘ve always known that pads are an essential part of the tuning, but most headphones won’t let me change so easily… very welcome. I expect to have some beautiful audio pads in autumn btw
Hey you know I’m sure the long term comfort will be miles better with the beautifuls but I don’t like the idea of changing the audio signature even in The slightest. But with beautiful audio I have read great things. I’ve never heard true high res before. I love lossless and red book cd even more. Is that an older iPod classic with the wolfson Dac? Did you get extra storage space installed in it? I have bought albums from qobuz and download aiff files and burn them to cds with excellent results!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #62,195 of 66,261
Hey you know I’m sure the long term comfort will be miles better with the beautifuls but I don’t like the idea of changing the audio signature even in The slightest. But with beautiful audio I have read great things. I’ve never heard true high res before. I love lossless and red book cd even more. Is that an older iPod classic with the wolfson Dac? Did you get extra storage space installed in it? I have bought albums from qobuz and download aiff files and burn them to cds with excellent results!
The BA pads changing the signature the least is why I’m interested at all :wink:
I also prefer stock tuning, and if that doesn’t work for me, I tend to get another headphone instead of starting to tinker — but I do understand why some like making something their own.

No, the iPod is Stock as well. Refurbished with a new battery, but otherwise unchanged. 6th gen, so no Wolfson — although actually 6.5 since it’s the flat 160gb version, not the thicker first Classic. Got 2 of them, and I’m very happy with the sound.

Yes, redbook is sufficient for my needs as well. I can live with good AAC for listening, but I much prefer lossless when buying music.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #62,196 of 66,261
The BA pads changing the signature the least is why I’m interested at all :wink:
I also prefer stock tuning, and if that doesn’t work for me, I tend to get another headphone instead of starting to tinker — but I do understand why some like making something their own.

No, the iPod is Stock as well. Refurbished with a new battery, but otherwise unchanged. 6th gen, so no Wolfson — although actually 6.5 since it’s the flat 160gb version, not the thicker first Classic. Got 2 of them, and I’m very happy with the sound.

Yes, redbook is sufficient for my needs as well. I can live with good AAC for listening, but I much prefer lossless when buying music.
There are some great enhancements when listening to lossless over aac. But aac does sound quite good for the storage space you gain especially. Yea if I would get one I would get one with a new battery already installed as well. My Brother let me use his 4th gen iPod video many years ago and thought it sounded absolutely amazing. You know some people actually prefer the cirrus logic chips especially for bass so you might have all you ever need for a long bit. Yes I am the same way with tuning. And have been tempted to try beautiful but for some reason I am getting great comfort today on my lightweight hemps with softened up L Pads. I have also been tempted to try a headphone from beautiful audio. That he makes. He can custom tune them for your specific music genre of choice.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #62,197 of 66,261
There are some great enhancements when listening to lossless over aac. But aac does sound quite good for the storage space you gain especially. Yea if I would get one I would get one with a new battery already installed as well. My Brother let me use his 4th gen iPod video many years ago and thought it sounded absolutely amazing. You know some people actually prefer the cirrus logic chips especially for bass so you might have all you ever need for a long bit. Yes I am the same way with tuning. And have been tempted to try beautiful but for some reason I am getting great comfort today on my lightweight hemps with softened up L Pads. I have also been tempted to try a headphone from beautiful audio. That he makes. He can custom tune them for your specific music genre of choice.
I was very surprised with the comfort of the F-pads on the Hemp. While I really dislike the S-pads, F is fine with me. But sonically I only really liked them on the Hemp.

Regarding iPod DAC: I never heard those treasured Wolfson implementation unfortunately, but the Cirrus I got is just fine. I do honk most of the difference lies in the implementation of the analog side anyway.

Quite happy that the Grados are easy to drive and work very well directly from the iPod

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #62,198 of 66,261
I was very surprised with the comfort of the F-pads on the Hemp. While I really dislike the S-pads, F is fine with me. But sonically I only really liked them on the Hemp.

Regarding iPod DAC: I never heard those treasured Wolfson implementation unfortunately, but the Cirrus I got is just fine. I do honk most of the difference lies in the implementation of the analog side anyway.

Quite happy that the Grados are easy to drive and work very well directly from the iPod
Really glad to see someone else besides me who loves the sound of electronic music with Grados, I would go as far as to say I think it sounds the best on Grados.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #62,199 of 66,261
Really glad to see someone else besides me who loves the sound of electronic music with Grados, I would go as far as to say I think it sounds the best on Grados.
Yes, that came as a bit of a surprise to me actually: I never considered Grado specifically for electronics, Andy it every model does work for me. Yet those I have present an interesting new perspective despite sounding quite different from my other headphones (Denon D9200 and V-Moda M-100, which most definitely presents a stronger fundament).

I don’t think electronica lives by bass alone though, and some genres I really like (Deep House and Vocal House esp) are a good fit for Grados strengths. It’s nice to gain a new perspective.

I love Jazz but almost never listen using headphones… works well with Grados of course, yet I still mostly use speakers for that.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #62,200 of 66,261
Yes, that came as a bit of a surprise to me actually: I never considered Grado specifically for electronics, Andy it every model does work for me. Yet those I have present an interesting new perspective despite sounding quite different from my other headphones (Denon D9200 and V-Moda M-100, which most definitely presents a stronger fundament).

I don’t think electronica lives by bass alone though, and some genres I really like (Deep House and Vocal House esp) are a good fit for Grados strengths. It’s nice to gain a new perspective.

I love Jazz but almost never listen using headphones… works well with Grados of course, yet I still mostly use speakers for that.
The rs1e made me a fan of jazz. I’ve never had a headphone do that to me for a style of music like that. If you ever get a chance to try them for jazz.. do check it out. I find hemps not nearly as engaging for jazz as rs1e.. but they are just fine for everything else. This may change some the next time I put on some jazz though since I’m back on the L Pads.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #62,202 of 66,261
Hope Apple will give us a new ipod soon
My new dream iPod would be a 512 gb optional model and if they bring back the scroll wheel, no touch screen. There would be people who would buy it and this is all very unlikely… ultimately I would take what I could get for a new iPod/iPod touch. Oh and an easy access replaceable battery would be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #62,203 of 66,261

IMG_1009.jpegIMG_1010.jpeg

What are the F Pads, what are the G Pads? I am not familiar with Grado.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #62,205 of 66,261
My new dream iPod would be a 512 gb optional model and if they bring back the scroll wheel, no touch screen. There would be people who would buy it and this is all very unlikely… ultimately I would take what I could get for a new iPod/iPod touch. Oh and an easy access replaceable battery would be the icing on the cake.

What? You mean you don't want Zune to make a comeback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back