Grado Fan Club!
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #61,201 of 65,629
No conflict there, they are different enough for sure. Plus there is always @jonathanC’s philosophy, “Get ‘em all”.
… remember the old cereal box exhortation: “collect ‘em all”? 😀

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #61,202 of 65,629
I have 2 DAP's I use (Fiio M11, A&K SR25) and I also use the Modi 3+, MMB2, and a Bifrost 2 with added 2/64 card. Typically I grab the Modi 3+ to use with the Vali 2 because they are both at home, and I use them when I am working from home, and I can stack them so they don't take up much space on the table.
rs2e's sound great straight out of the fiio m11. No need for any eq.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #61,203 of 65,629
After a couple months of nothing but ZMF (Auteur Classic and Verite open), I broke out my PS500e today. At first I was disappointed. Then I realized that my Schiit Lokius EQ was not powered on. Please forgive me, but I'm one of "those people" who sometimes has trouble with Grado treble (depending on the source material, electronics chain and the spiciness of my tinnitus on a given day). And of the models I have heard, the PS500e has perhaps the most polite treble. I have not had the opportunity to hear any new generation X models. After dialing down the treble judiciously, I immediately remembered why I love these headphones.

[Side note to those of you who are "against" EQ - I don't want to hear it.]

The sound? Nice solid bass, crystal clear mids and airy spacious (albeit dialed down to my liking) treble. In the words of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, "It's alive. It's alive! It's ALIVE!"

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #61,204 of 65,629
hello
I wanted a Dac/amp for my grado rs1, I only listen to rock, I love the treble of the grado and did not want to lose these treble in a dac/amp.
Could you recommend me any?
Would the combination of my DAC from my realtek AL897 motherboard with an RA-1 grado look good?
thank you all
Up to $600 I just listen to Flac 24bits
please,
I'm lost
Chord Mojo 2
Questyle M15
IFI GO BLU/ Ibasso DC04 pro.

Later on maybe add Schiit Vali 2++ and tube roll.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #61,205 of 65,629
… remember the cereal box exhortation: “collect ‘em all”? 😀
I got a lot but never “all”
Great fun waiting for something ordered with cereal box tops & .25 to eventually receive your prize (ie, rubber band powered motorcycle)

Now we continue this behavior ordering our equipment, toys, etc. and gleefully wait for it’s arrival.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #61,206 of 65,629
After a couple months of nothing but ZMF (Auteur Classic and Verite open), I broke out my PS500e today. At first I was disappointed. Then I realized that my Schiit Lokius EQ was not powered on. Please forgive me, but I'm one of "those people" who sometimes has trouble with Grado treble (depending on the source material, electronics chain and the spiciness of my tinnitus on a given day). And of the models I have heard, the PS500e has perhaps the most polite treble. I have not had the opportunity to hear any new generation X models. After dialing down the treble judiciously, I immediately remembered why I love these headphones.

[Side note to those of you who are "against" EQ - I don't want to hear it.]

The sound? Nice solid bass, crystal clear mids and airy spacious (albeit dialed down to my liking) treble. In the words of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, "It's alive. It's alive! It's ALIVE!"
They are certainly the complete opposite of SR325e's. No brightness at all. They were a little too flat/polite for me. Of course I only did an hour test in a shop.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #61,207 of 65,629
Side note to those of you who are "against" EQ - I don't want to hear it you. I’ll just EQ you below audible threshold!
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 👂😂😂

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #61,208 of 65,629
hello
I wanted a Dac/amp for my grado rs1, I only listen to rock, I love the treble of the grado and did not want to lose these treble in a dac/amp.
Could you recommend me any?
Would the combination of my DAC from my realtek AL897 motherboard with an RA-1 grado look good?
thank you all
Up to $600 I just listen to Flac 24bits
please,
I'm lost
Since people are throwing the Mojo2 at you, despite being $750, I'll counter with the iFi Micro iDSD Signature (also $750). Great sounding little (not as little as a Mojo though) DAC-Amp.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #61,209 of 65,629
Pretty pleased with how my PS500 turned out.

IMG_7239.jpeg

And I was finally able to track down a HF-1 to replace my long-missed pair.

Before, with the PS500 headband:

IMG_7240.jpeg

After, with the original mahogany cups I turned Thanksgiving weekend of ‘05.

IMG_7241.jpeg

I’ll keep the PS500 at home and replace my Sennheiser HD-650 with the HF-1 at work

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #61,210 of 65,629
They are certainly the complete opposite of SR325e's. No brightness at all. They were a little too flat/polite for me. Of course I only did a hour test in a shop.
In my experience as a former headphone dealer, I have found that in a head-to-head short-term listening comparison, even with perfect volume matching (since the louder one is usually perceived as "better"), the brighter one is often chosen. However, if you're looking to marry and not just date, the more even-sounding is probably the better long term partner.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #61,211 of 65,629
In my experience as a former headphone dealer, I have found that in a head-to-head short-term listening comparison, even with perfect volume matching (since the louder one is usually perceived as "better"), the brighter one is often chosen. However, if you're looking to marry and not just date, the more even-sounding is probably the better long term partner.
Testing in a shop is barely worth doing. It's fun, but tells you nothing. When I was in that shop I was looking for a less bright Grado. The 500 had much less brightness, but also a lot less fun, IMO.

I did end up buying the Nightowl Carbons that day. One of my worst decisions ever. I have gone through about 40 headphones since 2014 and only Hated two. The Nightowl Carbon was one.

My new system of buying, trying and reselling is much more effective, but stupid expensive.:smile:

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #61,212 of 65,629
For new production, I found the Genalex Gold Lion 6922/E88CC a good match with my Grado phones. For NOS, I'll defer to the experts. @bcowen is a good guy to ask about tubes.
Got them in-house this afternoon. Much better bass with my GS3000x than the stock tubes. Treble is tight and "THERE". Great airy sound. Better than the stock tubes by far. A bit expensive (for me, may not be for @bcowen, as it seems he is truly committed to Tubes!!) But regardless, it's great that after you by a Tube Amp you can change the sound signature substantially for relatively cheap $$. I love this hobby!!

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation! I'm a happy camper!!!

Leo

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #61,213 of 65,629
Testing in a shop is barely worth doing. It's fun, but tells you nothing. When I was in that shop I was looking for a less bright Grado. The 500 had much less brightness, but also a lot less fun, IMO.

I did end up buying the Nightowl Carbons that day. One of my worst decisions ever. I have gone through about 40 headphones since 2014 and only Hated two. The Nightowl Carbon was one.

My new system of buying, trying and reselling is much more effective, but stupid expensive.:smile:
I owned the AQ Nightowl Carbon for about three years. Although I enjoyed them more than you did. I did sell them and I much prefer my RS2e.
The music is just simply more alive with Grado.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #61,215 of 65,629
They are certainly the complete opposite of SR325e's. No brightness at all. They were a little too flat/polite for me. Of course I only did an hour test in a shop.
PS500e are a wonderful headphone; it really ascends with Violectric HPA V281. I bet that you would be charmed by them with your HPA V220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back