Grado Fan Club!
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #61,081 of 65,633
OK I've searched and read various reviews and comparisons of the X series, Hemp, etc. and I still don't know which to get.

I had the Hemp previously and sold it. I found that despite loving them, for lounging around I grabbed the portapros (on clips instead of headband) and for serious listening I still grabbed my trusty R70x. I liked the Hemps because they sounded like a much better version of the portapros: lively, that sound you get from a dynamic driver pushing air. Something I wish my R70x did, but I can listen to the R70x all day long so they stay.

Well, no idea what's going on but I keep having issues with my portapros. I'm on my third pair in a year, guess they don't make them like they used to. These sit on my coffee table all the time too.

So, time to just go back to the Grados. I don't really want to fork out for the Hemps, and mine had that huge awful cable. Not sure if they still do, but I'd rather have the thin braided one. Also just want something cheaper to take on vacation.

So I'm down to between the 225x and the 325x.

music: classic rock, classical, jazz, and metal.
225x better price, lighter weight. Not too bothered by "detail" or the perception of detail that most confuse with treble; but the these two drivers seem different with the 325x having the wider range.

225x or 325x?
I've never listened to the 225x. I own the 325x, and it's a fantastic headphone for classic rock and jazz.

I use the stock F pad, Geekria G "bowl" pads and AliExpress clones of the Beautiful Audio or Shipibo over-ear velour pads. All three pads create a unique signature, but I like the soundstage and air of the G "bowls" the best with all music.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #61,082 of 65,633
OK I've searched and read various reviews and comparisons of the X series, Hemp, etc. and I still don't know which to get.

I had the Hemp previously and sold it. I found that despite loving them, for lounging around I grabbed the portapros (on clips instead of headband) and for serious listening I still grabbed my trusty R70x. I liked the Hemps because they sounded like a much better version of the portapros: lively, that sound you get from a dynamic driver pushing air. Something I wish my R70x did, but I can listen to the R70x all day long so they stay.

Well, no idea what's going on but I keep having issues with my portapros. I'm on my third pair in a year, guess they don't make them like they used to. These sit on my coffee table all the time too.

So, time to just go back to the Grados. I don't really want to fork out for the Hemps, and mine had that huge awful cable. Not sure if they still do, but I'd rather have the thin braided one. Also just want something cheaper to take on vacation.

So I'm down to between the 225x and the 325x.

music: classic rock, classical, jazz, and metal.
225x better price, lighter weight. Not too bothered by "detail" or the perception of detail that most confuse with treble; but the these two drivers seem different with the 325x having the wider range.

225x or 325x?
Santa gave me cash for Xmas and after reading this thread I thought that I would try a pair of Grado headphones. I was considering the SR 325x and the SR 225x. I ended up getting the 225x's because I read that they were less bright than the 325X's. I really enjoy them and I'm considering getting another pair of Grados later this year.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #61,083 of 65,633
Hi ..could you say what is the difference between the reference series? I want to buy my first grado.
The RS-1 has a larger driver and housing than the RS-2, however, the RS-2 is probably closer to the traditional Grado sound, IMO. The RS-1 isn't unpopular, but there are more people that say they didn't prefer the RS-1 sound than say that about the RS-2. I've only heard the RS-1 once, and I wasn't able to compare it to any other Grado at the time.

I did own the RS-2E for about a year and loved it, but needed to sell it during a down time, and am now back with the SR-325i, an older model.

The RS-2 sound is the typical Grado "lively", "dynamic" sound, but also very refined sounding. All Grado's make rock, esp. guitar rock sound it's best. But the SR-325 is also a great sounding phone, and really only just a hair behind the RS-2.

One other thing, the newer "X" series Grado's (RS-1X / 2X) are a bit "darker" sounding than the older "E" versions of the same phones. Many years ago, Grado's were accused of being "too bright" (esp. compared to boring Sennheiser phones!), so Grado has slowly been toning down the treble output, which IMO, is a shame. But it depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck searching!

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #61,084 of 65,633
The RS-1 has a larger driver and housing than the RS-2, however, the RS-2 is probably closer to the traditional Grado sound, IMO. The RS-1 isn't unpopular, but there are more people that say they didn't prefer the RS-1 sound than say that about the RS-2. I've only heard the RS-1 once, and I wasn't able to compare it to any other Grado at the time.

I did own the RS-2E for about a year and loved it, but needed to sell it during a down time, and am now back with the SR-325i, an older model.

The RS-2 sound is the typical Grado "lively", "dynamic" sound, but also very refined sounding. All Grado's make rock, esp. guitar rock sound it's best. But the SR-325 is also a great sounding phone, and really only just a hair behind the RS-2.

One other thing, the newer "X" series Grado's (RS-1X / 2X) are a bit "darker" sounding than the older "E" versions of the same phones. Many years ago, Grado's were accused of being "too bright" (esp. compared to boring Sennheiser phones!), so Grado has slowly been toning down the treble output, which IMO, is a shame. But it depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck searching!

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #61,086 of 65,633

Good luck searching!

This is a confusing post. Not sure I'd characterise RS1x as darker - even in comparison to other models. More controlled perhaps. It's a very forward headphone.

I disagree that Sennheiser are boring.

Hi ..could you say what is the difference between the reference series? I want to buy my first grado.

Might be useful to work backwards from your budget range. What are you thinking to invest on a pair ?

If you have the 6XX (darker) and enjoy - you very well might also enjoy the 500e (a slightly colder heapdhone) vs. the other Grados. It has tremendous body and heft.

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #61,087 of 65,633
I'm still enjoying my GW100x greatly. I love this thing -- it is probably my favorite Grado.

I sold my GS3000e.

I will buy the GS3000x, but I'm thinking of playing around with the RS2x first...unless someone thinks this is a bad idea...

1686180755068.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #61,088 of 65,633
I'm still enjoying my GW100x greatly. I love this thing -- it is probably my favorite Grado.

I sold my GS3000e.

I will buy the GS3000x, but I'm thinking of playing around with the RS2x first...unless someone thinks this is a bad idea...

1686180755068.png
I really like the RS2x... nice accompaniment to my SR325x...

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #61,089 of 65,633

I sold my GS3000e.

I recently got a pair of the GW100x and amazed at what it is capable of. The sound is real Grado, BT works great and since it has an input for direct to source playing it performs even better if you can plug into your source. I bought a stereo male 3.5mm to stereo male 3.5mm cable from Audiophile Ninja for $54 or so and is well made, sounds good and looks good too.
(Detachable Cable)

You will probably end up with the GS3000x which I think you will really like. Natural, airy, good bass with detail. I am liking mine very much.

Then again, with that detachable cable capability you can get the GW100x a cable for $500, $1,000, sky’s the limit!!

Oops my wallet reacted poorly to that last statement. ixnay states the wallet.

Attachments

• IMG_8126.jpeg
    IMG_8126.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8127.jpeg
    IMG_8127.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8135.jpeg
    IMG_8135.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #61,090 of 65,633
Thanks for answering. I have the 6xx 😆.... I think I prefer the Rs1x/Rs2x series, although in the classifieds section the PS500e catches my eye.😅😅
… it could catch your ears, too 😊 !!

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #61,091 of 65,633
I recently got a pair of the GW100x and amazed at what it is capable of.

You used to own one of the older versions, right? How does it compare to the that model?

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #61,092 of 65,633
You used to own one of the older versions, right? How does it compare to the that model?
I had the GW100 v2 which I enjoyed quite a bit. I was doing more audio books, podcasts with a little music listening. As I got to like it even more the new x series appeared and getting good notice.

The x is more open and spacious and even better bass (which was already good on the v2.

It really is a special product with it’s own niche.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #61,093 of 65,633

I sold my GS3000e.

1686180755068.png

I am so curious about the 3000x - but remain emotionally attached to my 3000e

perhaps soon

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #61,094 of 65,633
I am so curious about the 3000x - but remain emotionally attached to my 3000e

perhaps soon
x …. the better mousetrap …. 🐭 🪤 🎧 ….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back