Grado Fan Club!
May 6, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #60,541 of 65,633
So I have a really noob question.
I'm using my Hemps with Topping DX3pro+. I have no complaint in terms of power as the volume knob is at -45dB-ish with low gain for the Hemps. Also, all my music files have replaygain on them so that's like additional -6~-12dB on top.
My question is, when the Hemps (or any Grado's) are so easy to drive**, what benefit** could I expect from a higher-end amp? Could DX3pro+ be a limiting factor to the performance of the Hemps in any way, despite it's more than capable of driving them?
I see a lot of gorgeous tube amps in this thread, do they bring something extra out of the Hemps?
** If sound quality is important to you, being easily driven is no guarantee by itself of high sound quality. It does ensure the ability to reach high volume. The benefits from a ‘higher-end’ or ‘better matched’ headphone amplifier to Hemp include: greater delineation of detail across the frequency spectrum; clearer depiction of layering and placement within the soundstage; wider dynamic range (difference between soft and loud) without loss of detail; greater recovery & rendition of ambience & reverberation - if in a recording.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #60,542 of 65,633
I'm using my Hemps with Topping DX3pro+. I have no complaint in terms of power as the volume knob is at -45dB-ish with low gain for the Hemps. Also, all my music files have replaygain on them so that's like additional -6~-12dB on top.
My question is, when the Hemps (or any Grado's) are so easy to drive, what benefit could I expect from a higher-end amp? Could DX3pro+ be a limiting factor to the performance of the Hemps in any way, despite it's more than capable of driving them?
I see a lot of gorgeous tube amps in this thread, do they bring something extra out of the Hemps?
When I listen to my Hemp I don’t see any benefit to use anything more expensive than Piety/Vali2. DX3pro+ should be just fine. I would say that different amps would give you different sound signature. Adding tubes to your Grado chain will give you the best results. I mostly prefer Vali2++ ($150) to CMA15 ($2500). No need to buy expensive SS in this case.
Maybe who has better ears than mine would not agree with me :)

IMG_7972.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #60,544 of 65,633
20230507_090542.jpg
20230507_090752.jpg
Sunday Morning battle.....Hemp vs. PS500e
It seems this wonderful Rudy Van Gelder Master was especially made for Grado's....none of my other Headphones (Hifiman, Focal, Audeze or ZMF) can produce this very unique and "lively" sound
:)

Attachments

• 20230507_090542.jpg
    20230507_090542.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #60,545 of 65,633
Sounds pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpeg
    IMG_3160.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3159.png
    IMG_3159.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #60,546 of 65,633
20230507_090542.jpg20230507_090752.jpgSunday Morning battle.....Hemp vs. PS500e
It seems this wonderful Rudy Van Gelder Master was especially made for Grado's....none of my other Headphones (Hifiman, Focal, Audeze or ZMF) can produce this very unique and "lively" sound
:)
Not that there was necessarily a winner, nut how would you describe the differences in the sound of those two?

May 7, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #60,547 of 65,633
I just had a thought. What if Grado did a metal headphone in the design of the rs1/2X.

It’s difficult to judge but I feel like it would be the ultimate headphone for me. Retaining the speed and midrange glow of the RS1x with the bass of the 3000x.

Not to mention it would look like the original Grado HP1 but with an X driver which for me is still the best looking headphone I’ve ever seen. Here’s hoping Grado are listening or rather reading😬

May 7, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #60,548 of 65,633
** If sound quality is important to you, being easily driven is no guarantee by itself of high sound quality. It does ensure the ability to reach high volume. The benefits from a ‘higher-end’ or ‘better matched’ headphone amplifier to Hemp include: greater delineation of detail across the frequency spectrum; clearer depiction of layering and placement within the soundstage; wider dynamic range (difference between soft and loud) without loss of detail; greater recovery & rendition of ambience & reverberation - if in a recording.
I guess the problem is I don't know much about sound quality. In fact, I don't think I even hear much difference with the Hemps plugged into DX3pro+ or straight to the PC. Of course, the PC phone jack has more noise, so the sound from DX3pro+ is much cleaner, but I don't think I'm detecting something in terms of layering or soundstage. I just don't know if it's my ear or my equipment.

Adding tubes to your Grado chain will give you the best results.
Specifically, what advantage does a tube amp offer over a solid-state amp, or a DAC/Amp combo like DX3pro+?

Except they haven’t heard my 6y6 amp. The earth will move beneath your feet. 😛
Now that's tempting. I'm scared to go down that road but I'm eager to hear more.

May 7, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #60,549 of 65,633
Not that there was necessarily a winner, nut how would you describe the differences in the sound of those two?
There was no necessarily a winner, but the differences soundwise between both are quite remarkable. The PS is a little bit more V-shaped with enhanced treble and more low end, the hemp sounds a little bit more natural and mature. Especially the horn section of Lee Morgan (tp) and Wayne Shorter (sax) sounds with the hemp a little bit better, more organic with a better timbre.
Also I tried both with the black cushions from Przem Nyczaj...the hemp lost too much sparkle, and with the PS500e the bass increased too much for my taste. So IMO the original L-Pads are the best choice for both.
In summary I would say....the Hemp wins the "battle" with 4/5 and the PS500e with 3/5.
Later I tried both with a more Modern Jazz style and it was interesting enough that the PS500e wins that album with 5/5
😄

Here I like the enhanced Bass of the PS much more and the Hemp sounds in comparsion a little bit boring....
The Album is: Chick Corea/Steve Gadd Band - Chinese Butterfly
Qobuz: https://open.qobuz.com/track/46555730

May 7, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #60,550 of 65,633
My question is, when the Hemps (or any Grado's) are so easy to drive, what benefit could I expect from a higher-end amp? Could DX3pro+ be a limiting factor to the performance of the Hemps in any way, despite it's more than capable of driving them?
I'm of the camp that as long as your device can get the headphones loud enough, with enough headroom for the full dynamic range; nothing more is needed. Personally I cant tell any difference between any of my myriad SS output devices except that some can get louder than others.

Tubes purposefully add coloration (i.e distortion) to the sound. Many folks enjoy that more; and this hobby is about enjoying music. Tubes also look really cool when they're glowing, and might impress visitors who aren't audio heads.

If you notice I'm being very careful not to start a fruitless argument here :wink:

May 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #60,551 of 65,633
I'm of the camp that as long as your device can get the headphones loud enough, with enough headroom for the full dynamic range; nothing more is needed. Personally I cant tell any difference between any of my myriad SS output devices except that some can get louder than others.

Tubes purposefully add coloration (i.e distortion) to the sound. Many folks enjoy that more; and this hobby is about enjoying music. Tubes also look really cool when they're glowing, and might impress visitors who aren't audio heads.

If you notice I'm being very careful not to start a fruitless argument here :wink:
Like you, I don’t want to start an argument, but I will say that most Grados do not reflect changes in amplification as much as some other headphones do. They stay pretty true to their sound and identity. Planars and higher impedence dynamics will sound more different through different electronics chains. This is not a good or bad thing, just the nature of the way they are built.

May 7, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #60,552 of 65,633
Specifically, what advantage does a tube amp offer over a solid-state amp, or a DAC/Amp combo like DX3pro+?
It's not a simple answer. Depending on the tube amp topology: OTL, OTC or hybrid. It also depends on tubes you use. Cheap tubes would sound very close to SS amps. Premium tubes give more second harmonics. It's just so different from SS. Some people would prefer SS over tubes and that's ok. Something like Vali2++ is very affordable and you can try it without braking your pockets.

May 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #60,553 of 65,633
Like you, I don’t want to start an argument, but I will say that most Grados do not reflect changes in amplification as much as some other headphones do. They stay pretty true to their sound and identity. Planars and higher impedence dynamics will sound more different through different electronics chains. This is not a good or bad thing, just the nature of the way they are built.
To a certain extent this is very true of grados in comparison to other headphones. But if your system is very revealing you will notice the difference higher end amplification can bring. For instance my DAC is very high end and amp is pretty high end - so even when I flick the switch from low gain to high gain on my eleven audio Formula S amp I am able to easily pick up on the differences. Now the amp has enough drive in low gain and easily enough for the grados but yet I can pick up on more energy, leading edge resolution and a more engaging again listen in high gain.

May 7, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #60,554 of 65,633
For Hemp case, I agree with this. Of course there're improvement with much better gears, however the differences rather small compared to high end Dynamic/Planar/Electrostatic Headphones.

Amplifier is not only about power, but also about signal quality. There are several other DAC/Amp that doing technicalities better than DX3pro+, so yeah you still can "upgrade" the Hemp sound. Whether the cost worth it or not, I can't answer that for you. For DAC+Amp combo, I quite like the pairing with Fiio K9 Pro ESS (even compared Topping DX7Pro+).

So IMO the original L-Pads are the best choice for both.
In summary I would say....the Hemp wins the "battle" with 4/5 and the PS500e with 3/5.
Were you using bowl pad to Hemp too? (instead of Flat Pad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back