Grado Fan Club!
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #59,281 of 65,622
I've always been afraid to do a deep clean on my pads. I just wipe with a damp cloth occasionally. Thanks for testing it out for me! I may try it today.

So just send them out to the cleaners :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unknown.jpeg

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #59,282 of 65,622
The MS-2X takes on the sound of different sources, so far tried sound devices usbpre2, sony zx507, hiby rs2. I also prefer them in that order. The sound devices dac has the least detail, but it's sound is so soft and delicate it sounds realistic, the star of the show is the sound stage with this pairing, when you combine a grado with a source/amp that can make them sound truly open, its audio bliss, kinda like listening to 50k floor standing speakers. The hiby rs2 sounds very intimate and closed in, but has the most texture and vibes, just can't get past being so closed in with an open back headphone, the rs2 excels with iems though. The sony zx507 is a jack of all trades, decent sound stage and detail, but in this pairing has a harder edge to the notes which detracts from realism.

It's quite interesting that depending on your source you may find the MS-2X to either sound in your head or like floor standing speakers!

The HD800S in the background is jealous of the MS-2X, not the other way around :p

20230312_134527.jpg

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #59,284 of 65,622
Received my Grado GS3000x yesterday and will post impressions in the future. The first impression is OMG!
Please do keeps us informed. I am really really enjoying the Rs1x and I just love the wood on the demo model I’ve received. I’m very tempted to buy the unit but then FOMO has me thinking what if the 3000X is more my preference. - I’m not one who thinks the more expensive model is always more suitable.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #59,285 of 65,622
After having kept my SR225e in the drawer for some months and mainly using the Hemps, I brought the SR225e out yesterday... oh wow I did not realize how much I missed that old edgy Grado-sparkle. I stayed up listening all night and still this morning I just can't get enough of them. They are just more addictive than the Hemps to my ears.

The new x-series haven't convinced me yet but when I read what people say about RS-1X, I get the impression that they are like the old e-series Grado's with a brighter and less bass-heavy sound. Is that correctly understood?
Or maybe I should just see if I can find a place to listen to them for myself.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #59,286 of 65,622
Slightly off topic, but you own the 325e & RS2e?
I own the 325e & have the RS2e's on the way.
How would you compare the 2?
More details,brighter and more bass

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #59,287 of 65,622
More details,brighter and more bass
brighter than the 325e?

I love the 325e, but thought that it was regarded as the brightest grado ?

ps I mainly listen to bop, so bright is good for me.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #59,288 of 65,622
brighter than the 325e?

I love the 325e, but thought that it was regarded as the brightest grado ?

ps I mainly listen to bop, so bright is good for me.
I think so

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #59,289 of 65,622
After having kept my SR225e in the drawer for some months and mainly using the Hemps, I brought the SR225e out yesterday... oh wow I did not realize how much I missed that old edgy Grado-sparkle. I stayed up listening all night and still this morning I just can't get enough of them. They are just more addictive than the Hemps to my ears.

The new x-series haven't convinced me yet but when I read what people say about RS-1X, I get the impression that they are like the old e-series Grado's with a brighter and less bass-heavy sound. Is that correctly understood?
Or maybe I should just see if I can find a place to listen to them for myself.
I can’t comment on previous models but I don’t think the rs1x is bright. Not in my setup. The sound is alive and open without sibilance. Considering how lean the bass is I’m surprised by this as there is a warmth to the sound. Overall I would say I prefer this sound to the Focal Utopia and the TC.

ill post a review once I’ve spent more time with the headphones as I still think they need more break in time.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #59,290 of 65,622
Are you using Shipibo pads?
Yes, this are Shipibo. Can not remember the difference in sound to the original ones, but comfort is so much better. RS1 is so relaxing with them, but I don' t miss anything.

Today I got some Dekoni which look pretty the same. On my with Eleven drivers modded Grado they took too much of that so wonderful direct, clear sound. Too much breaking.With the Eleven I clearly prefer Beyerdynamic Velour pads with selfmade adapters.

At the moment it looks like keeping the Dekoni on a GH2. I have to turn up volume a litte bit because of the wider distance to the driver, but then sound signature is pretty the same and comfort again much better.

With the GS3000e I landed with the original pads after trying several other pads. All the leatherpads, perforated or not made to much upperbass, but didn't help at real deep bass. Pads can change a lot by damping or not, but what is not generated by the driver, can't be brought to your ears.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #59,292 of 65,622
Yes, this are Shipibo. Can not remember the difference in sound to the original ones, but comfort is so much better. RS1 is so relaxing with them, but I don' t miss anything.

Today I got some Dekoni which look pretty the same. On my with Eleven drivers modded Grado they took too much of that so wonderful direct, clear sound. Too much breaking.With the Eleven I clearly prefer Beyerdynamic Velour pads with selfmade adapters.

At the moment it looks like keeping the Dekoni on a GH2. I have to turn up volume a litte bit because of the wider distance to the driver, but then sound signature is pretty the same and comfort again much better.

With the GS3000e I landed with the original pads after trying several other pads. All the leatherpads, perforated or not made to much upperbass, but didn't help at real deep bass. Pads can change a lot by damping or not, but what is not generated by the driver, can't be brought to your ears.
I am using the Shipibo's with my Hemps. I found the Dekoni's too thick/tall.

The GH2's make great magic with the Beautiful Audio pads.:heart_eyes:

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #59,293 of 65,622
The RS2e is not brighter than the 325e. Maybe the RS2e's highs are so much smoother that you can crank the volume up more?

That's what how I remember things, but I have not heard a 325 in a while. I had to get the Alessandro MS2 in order to fix the SR325 highs.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #59,294 of 65,622
Does anyone know if the large Beautiful Audio pads meant for the GS series also work with RS/GH models?

I believe the smaller pads are hard to install on a GS model, so will the larger pads fall off easily if used on the non-GS headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #59,295 of 65,622

I got the dekoni velour few days ago. don't you think there is harmonic imbalance. The colour change it's not the problem. But clearly there is a treble lift. the 2K pick is less. you get a slower sound, with lager low, and all the harmonic parts was emphasised. when I start to push the headphone in little. The upper middle getting back. I want to cut it become angled. but 70 euro, ridiculous price, maybe I just sell it. in some way it sound so interesting in slow fusion jazz. Anything else I didn't like it.

also with a large sound space, the imaging is weird in the interesting way. Sound is bouncing around inside of the pad. It's surely not hi-fi, but maybe audiophile. Adele skyfall sounds good like in a film theatre. the gh2 is much dry(more pronounced , no make up) than gh4, maybe works better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back