Grado Fan Club!
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #59,101 of 65,633
Nice, thank you guys for the input and suggestions. The V202, I believe is the newer version of the V220 as the V222 is the V280 updated version. I will keep an eye on the V281 and V220. Last resort, In case they are hard to find at decent prices, I can always go for the V202, if I find it discounted in the future.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #59,102 of 65,633
The RS-1x (F-cushion) pairs exceedingly well with Violectric HPA V281. This h/p/a had been on my list for quite a while - hard to find; it is my SS h/p/a destination. The sound is detailed, spacious, with a touch of tube warmth - perfect for the RS-1x.
How is the V281 different from the Flux FA-22 you had?

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #59,103 of 65,633
If you get a chance, the Violectric V220 is just a stripped down V281. Less power and no balanced output, but the same sweet sound, from what I have read. I Love mine with Grado's.
Sweet sound is something I really don't associate with Violectric. Neutral , clear, dynamic and honest, that's what I have heart. Not my choice for Grados with harsh highs or chinese Dacs.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #59,104 of 65,633
The RS-1x (F-cushion) pairs exceedingly well with Violectric HPA V281. This h/p/a had been on my list for quite a while - hard to find; it is my SS h/p/a destination. The sound is detailed, spacious, with a touch of tube warmth - perfect for the RS-1x.
Thanks, I was asking as the V281 is considered to be a powerful amp so interesting to read that it’s not overkill on the highly sensitive grados.

I’m using the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman thinking of buying the RS1x…. Just for their killer looks really.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #59,105 of 65,633
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #59,106 of 65,633
Thanks, I was asking as the V281 is considered to be a powerful amp so interesting to read that it’s not overkill on the highly sensitive grados.

I’m using the XI Audio Formula S and Powerman thinking of buying the RS1x…. Just for their killer looks really.
• The V281 has high voltage swing capability - which makes it a great choice for high impedance dynamic h/p. This also benefits driving lower impedance and efficient dynamic h/p.
• The XI Audio amplifier(s) are designed to accommodate / (man)handle power-hungry h/p such as Abyss AB1266 TC and Susvara. Whether that occurs with finesse, I cannot say. I have no opinion, therefore, on XI Audio h/p/a compatibility with Grado h/p 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #59,107 of 65,633
Sweet sound is something I really don't associate with Violectric. Neutral , clear, dynamic and honest, that's what I have heart. Not my choice for Grados with harsh highs or chinese Dacs.
I agree with you regarding the Chinese Dacs. I wanted to try and test some theory that they sound all the same but immediately, when comparing something as simple as a RU6 to the SMSL I have, I made my own conclusions. Too harsh / analytical for my taste. I don't care how well they measure. On one side I have one of the worst measuring devices available, double amping with the RNHP and therefore very far from ideal by most standards. On the other side I have the SMSL, connected via balanced connections to the RNHP. To my ears I prefer the less than perfect "mellow" sound that comes out of the RU6 / RNHP duo when compared to the very detailed, neutral and analytical sound (I think I understand the "digital" term seen in many threads) of the other Duo.

I was thinking of getting a Violectric V850 DAC and pair it with a Violectric Amp. I'm forced to use the Rupert Neve almost at minimal volume with my Grados because it doesn't have a gain system to compensate like the Violectric does. I love the Rupert Neve but this volume issue is bothering me, I have no room to "play" because of the very low Grado impedance. I wouldn't mind to pair it with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (they are supposed to have a great synergy together) but this volume "issue" would be the same, if not worse.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #59,108 of 65,633
Nice, thank you guys for the input and suggestions. The V202, I believe is the newer version of the V220 as the V222 is the V280 updated version. I will keep an eye on the V281 and V220. Last resort, In case they are hard to find at decent prices, I can always go for the V202, if I find it discounted in the future.
I would love to hear the results of a face-off between the V280/V281 boxes and the V202/V222 boxes. Are the new ones really as warm? Hmmmm.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #59,109 of 65,633
I agree with you regarding the Chinese Dacs. I wanted to try and test some theory that they sound all the same but immediately, when comparing something as simple as a RU6 to the SMSL I have, I made my own conclusions. Too harsh / analytical for my taste. I don't care how well they measure. On one side I have one of the worst measuring devices available, double amping with the RNHP and therefore very far from ideal by most standards. On the other side I have the SMSL, connected via balanced connections to the RNHP. To my ears I prefer the less than perfect "mellow" sound that comes out of the RU6 / RNHP duo when compared to the very detailed, neutral and analytical sound (I think I understand the "digital" term seen in many threads) of the other Duo.

I was thinking of getting a Violectric V850 DAC and pair it with a Violectric Amp. I'm forced to use the Rupert Neve almost at minimal volume with my Grados because it doesn't have a gain system to compensate like the Violectric does. I love the Rupert Neve but this volume issue is bothering me, I have no room to "play" because of the very low Grado impedance.^^ I wouldn't mind to pair it with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (they are supposed to have a great synergy together) but this volume "issue" would be the same, if not worse.
^^ it’s not the low impedance that gives you “no room to play”, it’s the high sensitivity of Grado headphones (usually ~ 99.5 dB per milliwatt of power) combined with the Rupert Neve high gain.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #59,110 of 65,633
Mine sounds very sweet, almost tubey (V220). I run it off a Schiit BF2. Very nice, warm sound. If I want to hear a bit more boom, I put them on my iFi and add a bit of bass boost.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #59,111 of 65,633

One of the coolest features in the Violectrics is the gain adjustment. And with them you can go into -minus gain. I use -6 or minus -12 to get lots of action on the volume dial with Grado's.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #59,112 of 65,633
Sweet sound is something I really don't associate with Violectric.^^ Neutral , clear, dynamic and honest, that's what I have heard.** Not my choice for Grados with harsh highs or chinese Dacs.
^^ V2XX series have slight ‘tube warmth’.
** V3XX series, V5XX series are more in this mold.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #59,113 of 65,633
I would love to hear the results of a face-off between the V280/V281 boxes and the V202/V222 boxes. Are the new ones really as warm? Hmmmm.
The V202/V222 are supposed to be the direct sonic descendants of V200/V280. The same amplifier circuits are used - two for SE, four for XLR.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #59,114 of 65,633
…. saturday evening well underway ….
2059C77E-E45F-48EC-AFAE-689BF1718FAE.jpeg
[I actually do other things during the day! … Chores, read, run, lift weights …]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back