Grado Fan Club!
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #57,181 of 65,633
What if it's only a small/negligible improvement over my GH2's?

I was considering the GH2 but they don't show up often, and after reading this GH4 vs GH1/2/3 comparison (auto-translated from Japanese) I'm pretty sure the GH4 is a better fit for me. Speaking of which, my GH4 lacks a serial number despite it being a LE. I wonder how many were made.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #57,182 of 65,633
This is a property of the Grado G pads. All of the models with G pads have a sizzling peak at 6khz because that's how the pads modify the sound, and that's why the pads typically don't work on the lower-end models. The GS3000x was tuned to take this into account and so its peak isn't as sharp. Swap out the G pads and you might be happier with the GS3000e.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I will keep playing with my pads to hear what differences they make.

Given what you said, I might be better off with a new GS1000X, if it has reduced treble. I am eager to see ANY kind of reviews on it...

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #57,183 of 65,633
Given what you said, I might be better off with a new GS1000X, if it has reduced treble. I am eager to see ANY kind of reviews on it...

It doesn't. The GS1000x is bright and is essentially a "fixed" GS2000e which was the most piercing e-series headphone. The GS3000x isn't as piercing.

I honestly don't know what to suggest if you think the RS1x is too bright because it was definitely the x-series model with the least treble, at least with the stock Grado F pads. From my experience, most aftermarket pads dull the sound more than the official Grado pads. Perhaps take a look at your source/amp chain. I've never heard the GH1, but because multiple people have said it actually works with the Grado G pads, it might have an inherently dark tuning.

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #57,184 of 65,633
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I will keep playing with my pads to hear what differences they make.

I hate to sound like a broken record but if you're looking for Grado house sound but a less treble-focused presentation the Hemp really is the way to go.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #57,185 of 65,633
Hi All:

I bought a GS3000e, but I am starting to wonder whether it is a fake. Ie, the wood looks gorgeous, but it sounds thin and is not much of an improvement over my RS1x.

I bought it on eBay, but via a reputable dealer. I can still return it if need be.

First of all, should it be a big improvement over my RS1x?

The headband is in great condition and has white stitching, implying that it was a recent manufacture. But the headphone is beat up; the left and right painted indicators are worn off of the rodblocks. The rods on the gimbals are loose. The black grill paint is worn off in some areas.

It came with real G cushions - which admittedly are an upgrade from the generics that I have. It sounds spacious with the Gs.

It has better dynamics and a bit more bass than my RS1x. But I expected more spaciousness and layering, let alone a softer, richer, more nuanced midrange than the RS1x.

My RS1x has serial numbers written on both drivers, but the GS3000e doesn't. It does have serial numbers on the box though (I will confirm them with Grado).

I got a decent deal, and I am not that concerned with aesthetics. But I expected a bigger bump in performance, let alone I didn't expect the thinness.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those of you who have a GS3000e, let alone also an RS1x?

Thanks!
I don’t claim to be one of the Grado prophets, but, FWIW (maybe not much) my current experience with a pair of RS-1e is much like what you are describing. I found the treble unbearably bright with the supplied F pads. I essentially solved the problem with a pair of Vever jumbo pads for $13.99 from Amazon. They are the same size but much softer than oem G-Cush and they are just a single density. For me, they warm up the sound just right. Others may disagree. They’re cheap enough and returnable, so nothing to lose.

That being said, I am awaiting delivery on a pair of Dekoni solid sheepskin pads, which are reportedly extremely comfortable and have the same bass boost effect as the well-known ‘tape mod’.

Good luck!

RS-1e with Vever pads installed:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #57,186 of 65,633
Hi All:

I bought a GS3000e, but I am starting to wonder whether it is a fake. Ie, the wood looks gorgeous, but it sounds thin and is not much of an improvement over my RS1x.

I bought it on eBay, but via a reputable dealer. I can still return it if need be.

First of all, should it be a big improvement over my RS1x?

The headband is in great condition and has white stitching, implying that it was a recent manufacture. But the headphone is beat up; the left and right painted indicators are worn off of the rodblocks. The rods on the gimbals are loose. The black grill paint is worn off in some areas.

It came with real G cushions - which admittedly are an upgrade from the generics that I have. It sounds spacious with the Gs.

It has better dynamics and a bit more bass than my RS1x. But I expected more spaciousness and layering, let alone a softer, richer, more nuanced midrange than the RS1x.

My RS1x has serial numbers written on both drivers, but the GS3000e doesn't. It does have serial numbers on the box though (I will confirm them with Grado).

I got a decent deal, and I am not that concerned with aesthetics. But I expected a bigger bump in performance, let alone I didn't expect the thinness.

Any thoughts or suggestions from those of you who have a GS3000e, let alone also an RS1x?

Thanks!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/post-16720872

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #57,187 of 65,633
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #57,188 of 65,633
The effect that pads have on Grado can't be overstated. I tested a dozen out with my Hemp and they went from best in class to absolutely unlistenable with something as simple as a quarter inch of extra pad thickness or covering the center hole.
Just out of curiosity, what would you put in best in class for the Hemp? I actually like the stock F but am always up for experimenting.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #57,189 of 65,633
Just out of curiosity, what would you put in best in class for the Hemp? I actually like the stock F but am always up for experimenting.
Honestly? I bought a whole slew of pads and ended up with the F again. They're definitely not the most comfortable of the bunch but the sound was far and away the best. I tried Dekonis and other Grados, the big bowls and the super soft ones with the grill covered, everything. The F just ended up sounding the more cohesive.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #57,190 of 65,633
The Beautiful Audio pads really work well with the characteristics of the GH2 in my opinion. It was a recommendation from a long time member. All my other Grados are with original Grado pads. I am currently running my PS500e with flats along with my vintage button RS1 (which was designed For flats).
Thanks for the feedback. I see that Beautiful Audio sells pads in two sizes, and different materials:
  • Small (based on Grado L) in Hybrid, Leather, or Merino.
  • Large (based on Grado G) in Hybrid.
Which ones were you talking about?

Looking at both, I would go with the Large ones, as I really like the GH2 with the G pads.

BD1BE38F-9963-4876-BAFF-DA7E01D4FA95.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #57,192 of 65,633
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #57,193 of 65,633
A headphone system ‘power trio’: what balance, what excitement, what synergy…. roll, Ludwig von, roll !….
06FDE203-0702-4FBA-B304-23F602E2ACDD.jpeg
[Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22]

Oct 28, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #57,194 of 65,633
Funny to find this thread where it is as I'm getting the same impressions from the pads (G and F) and am wondering how much a bump up the GS1000x will be over 225x. I just got the 1000x today, however there was no 1/8th in adapter so I can't listen to them through anything other then my bass amp. I'll say the bass is pretty nice but I can't audition with actual music until the adapter comes.

However, I switched the G pads to my 225's and found what everyone is talking about- soundstage increase, high mid/low treble bump, a little more dynamic. It leaves me to wonder how much different the 1000's will be. It's about $1k difference after all.

I love the F pads on the 225s, I find them full and not bright at all. Very natural sounding to me. Last I heard some 225s was almost 10 years ago with the shallow bowl pads (L?) and my impressions now are much different then with those. Of course driver changes could have something to do with it too.

And now to explain why I need an 1/8th adapter- I'm using a Dragonfly Red as dac/amp. Is something more substantial really necessary for the 1000's? I've read over and over people saying "when properly amped" but is that just because they think an expensive headphone should require expensive gear to work properly? I'm thinking about the Chord Hugo 2 as an end game for my budget.

Oct 28, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #57,195 of 65,633
Funny to find this thread where it is as I'm getting the same impressions from the pads (G and F) and am wondering how much a bump up the GS1000x will be over 225x. I just got the 1000x today, however there was no 1/8th in adapter so I can't listen to them through anything other then my bass amp. I'll say the bass is pretty nice but I can't audition with actual music until the adapter comes.

However, I switched the G pads to my 225's and found what everyone is talking about- soundstage increase, high mid/low treble bump, a little more dynamic. It leaves me to wonder how much different the 1000's will be. It's about $1k difference after all.

I love the F pads on the 225s, I find them full and not bright at all. Very natural sounding to me. Last I heard some 225s was almost 10 years ago with the shallow bowl pads (L?) and my impressions now are much different then with those. Of course driver changes could have something to do with it too.

And now to explain why I need an 1/8th adapter- I'm using a Dragonfly Red as dac/amp. Is something more substantial really necessary for the 1000's? I've read over and over people saying "when properly amped" but is that just because they think an expensive headphone should require expensive gear to work properly? I'm thinking about the Chord Hugo 2 as an end game for my budget.
Good headphones will only help you hear the shortcomings of a bad amp more clearly. Revealing headphones with a mediocre amp is a recipe for dissatisfaction. Remember, it’s a system. The headphones do not make sound by themselves, and they cannot fix damage done upstream by inferior sources or amps. Indeed, as I already said, the better the headphones, the more obvious that damage will be. If you think it through, it’s intuitively obvious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back