Grado Fan Club!
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #56,746 of 65,581
It is good to know that the GS3000X is the clear winner compared to RS1e.
Considering the price difference it really should be like this.
I really love my RS1e but never did hear a GS3000X myself.

As you own the RS1e and the RS-1X, could you tell a little about the difference in sound between those two headphones?
Are they more similar or more different?
My impressions only! I'm not a reviewer and I'm older so take it with a grain of salt. The problem reviewing any headphone is that most of us haven't heard every headphone. So I can compare the RS1e. It seems like the RS1e opens the door to what Grado headphones can sound like. But the 3000x take it to a whole nother level. It's the total deal. Much better bass and bass extension on the 3000x. More tame highs, but you still receive that special sparkle that got me hooked on Grados in the first place. Much more balanced headphone. Hard to explain, but I think Tambre is what I'm talking about. It seems like the bass, mids, and trebles are all blended together to create a smooth sonic range. The sound stage is much bigger than the RS1e's. Instrument separation is noticeably better (I haven't heard the HD 800 series, so I can't compare). Also, at least for me, believe it or not, the ergonomics are better as well. I didn't need to break in the G pads or have any of the discomfort that some find on the L or F pads. I tried the G pads on the RS1e and found them to fit the speaker housing but seemed too big for the headphone itself. Also, I didn't care for how the G pads made the RS1e sound.

Again, I hope this helps. Good luck in your Grado journey. There really is NO right or wrong. As long as you appreciate what you have, and enjoy them, you won!

Leo

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #56,747 of 65,581
My impressions only! I'm not a reviewer and I'm older so take it with a grain of salt. The problem reviewing any headphone is that most of us haven't heard every headphone. So I can compare the RS1e. It seems like the RS1e opens the door to what Grado headphones can sound like. But the 3000x take it to a whole nother level. It's the total deal. Much better bass and bass extension on the 3000x. More tame highs, but you still receive that special sparkle that got me hooked on Grados in the first place. Much more balanced headphone. Hard to explain, but I think Tambre is what I'm talking about. It seems like the bass, mids, and trebles are all blended together to create a smooth sonic range. The sound stage is much bigger than the RS1e's. Instrument separation is noticeably better (I haven't heard the HD 800 series, so I can't compare). Also, at least for me, believe it or not, the ergonomics are better as well. I didn't need to break in the G pads or have any of the discomfort that some find on the L or F pads. I tried the G pads on the RS1e and found them to fit the speaker housing but seemed too big for the headphone itself. Also, I didn't care for how the G pads made the RS1e sound.

Again, I hope this helps. Good luck in your Grado journey. There really is NO right or wrong. As long as you appreciate what you have, and enjoy them, you won!

Leo

Bass extension, tame highs, even tempered across the spectrum, while keeping the Grado sparkle? Sounds like you're describing my experience with the HP2!

Might just be a "honeymoon period" with the HP2, but so far, I can't get enough of them, as they just let the truth of the music shine through beautifully, with almost any genre. If the GS3000x have the same kind of qualities, especially being designed with synergy with the G cush, then consider my interest piqued!

Definitely going to have to hear these as soon as I can make it to a shop that carries them!

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #56,749 of 65,581
342BC00E-1EDE-4024-A007-80708125FBF4.jpeg

Replacement pair have arrived :)

Everything looks perfect and they play music - looks like I’m good this time!

They’ve certainly got the X series sound, bass is more prominent than on the GS3000e from two sample tracks before I get back to work lol. Long weekend here so they’ll be getting a good work out.

Old and new:

184C3C69-8127-4400-AAFA-27D90CB62FB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #56,750 of 65,581
Not complaining about it and glad people are enjoying their RS1e. But why has it become so popular recently?

When i started with Grados in 2020 the RS1e was widely considered a failure and everyone said the RS2e was the star of the Reference line. Noone really talked about the RS1e otherwise.

Just saying! Enjoy the headphones that you own! :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #56,751 of 65,581
Not complaining about it and glad people are enjoying their RS1e. But why has it become so popular recently?

When i started with Grados in 2020 the RS1e was widely considered a failure and everyone said the RS2e was the star of the Reference line. Noone really talked about the RS1e otherwise.

Similar can be said about 225 vs 325. Everyone talks about the 325 and the 225 is seamingly skipped. But also, they are a tad different still, same with RS#.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #56,752 of 65,581
Similar can be said about 225 vs 325. Everyone talks about the 325 and the 225 is seamingly skipped. But also, they are a tad different still, same with RS#
True, in 2020 the 225e was considered 'the sweet spot' and the 325e usually was said to be too sibilant :)

And the PS500e was considered 'too tamed treble' so that i hesitated to buy one. Glad i still did, it's the best Grado I own!

So people, take those recommendations with a grain of salt. In the end you can only decide if you like a headphone after having used it for several weeks.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #56,753 of 65,581

Leo

Thanks for your impressions and that is exactly what I was asking for, just your impressions.
Much appreciated.
And I agree that there is no wrong or right and that it is only important if you appreciate and enjoy what you hear or have.
Furthermore, I am also no longer a teenager. :wink:

I am sorry that I was not clear enough with my words.
What I was looking for in the first place was some impressions about RS1e sound in comparison to RS-1X as you own both of them also.
But your impressions about RS1e and GS3000X are still appreciated and helpful.
If you could add some impressions about the two RS1 models (e and X) that would be really great.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #56,754 of 65,581

I think the RS1e was considered a failure just because many early copies did have the problem that the drivers were not mounted in correct way and were not flush with the cups. This resulted in huge comfort as well as sound issues.
From that moment the RS1e was considered a failure and it seems many were not willing to give it a real second chance with a RS1e copy with correct mounted drivers (flush with the cups).
I guess without this early copies issue the RS1e would be considered a great headphone right from the start.
Furthermore it really needs some break in time to really shine.
For me the RS1e sounds really nice from the beginning but I guess we all agree that "nice" is not enough for any RS1 model.
But after some break in time they really start to shine for me and I love them very much.

In the beginning I was hesitating myself to get a RS1e due to the bad reputation.
I am so happy that I nevertheless decided to get a RS1e and I enjoy it so much.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #56,755 of 65,581
True, in 2020 the 225e was considered 'the sweet spot' and the 325e usually was said to be too sibilant :)

And the PS500e was considered 'too tamed treble' so that i hesitated to buy one. Glad i still did, it's the best Grado I own!

So people, take those recommendations with a grain of salt. In the end you can only decide if you like a headphone after having used it for several weeks.

Fully agreed to that.
Everybody listens different, has different ears, has different preferences.
It is good to get some impressions from others, but in the end it only counts if you like and enjoy yourself what you have.
And always give a headphone some time before you come to any final conclusion.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #56,756 of 65,581
I've been using my Alessandro MS1i for the past two weeks after years of keeping them in the case - ordered some new 'bowl' pads to get a little more comfort/endurance out of them.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #56,757 of 65,581
Fully agreed to that.
Everybody listens different, has different ears, has different preferences.
It is good to get some impressions from others, but in the end it only counts if you like and enjoy yourself what you have.
And always give a headphone some time before you come to any final conclusion.
I agree with these comments too , I believe a lot in brain burn in and if you have been using a certain Sig for a while then altering moderately or drastically sometimes will make you feel at first that a headphone is not for you.....give it time I say.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #56,758 of 65,581
Initial thoughts on the GS3000x after a couple of hours (ended up mainly listening to Lana Del Ray which is odd for me, but her voice suits these like a glove):

* Imaging and soundstage are near perfect.
* Recordings that have a full soundstage of music (such as Lana Del Ray - Young and Beautiful), sound majestic. Her voice is centre stage, while the music ebbs and flows around you. I’ve never heard it presented like this.
* I believe the above sounds better due to the improvements in the lower frequencies over the GS3000e, similar to other X series Grado’s. They’re by no means bass heavy but it’s very nicely presented, well textured.
* Vocals are wonderful, they don’t necessarily sit forward or back, varies by track based on how it’s recorded.
* Fantastic detail as per the GS3000e

Gotta admit I shed a tear during Young and Beautiful, it floored me with the way it sounded.

Anyway, I’ll give some less emotive thoughts and comparisons down the track, just wanted to share my initial impressions :)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #56,759 of 65,581
I agree with these comments too , I believe a lot in brain burn in and if you have been using a certain Sig for a while then altering moderately or drastically sometimes will make you feel at first that a headphone is not for you.....give it time I say.
I find that the comments on these forums are great data points for determining what headphone you may be interested. Personally though, I wouldn't base my actual purchasing decision on any single contributor I may read. Just helpful if you get enough discussion about a headphone. Agree that you must decide for yourself whether or not a Headphone is good for YOU.

Leo

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #56,760 of 65,581
Question for RS1X and RS2X owners:

Do these headphones smell like wood or do they smell more like "hemp"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back