Grado Fan Club!
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #56,630 of 65,649
Which phono cartridge do you currently use if I am not being too nosy.

🎼🎸
Oh don’t get me started 🤣

Fully rebuilt Technics 310MC buy expert stylus.
Modded Denon 103R
Nagaoka MP200.
Nagaoka Stilton metal body MP11 Boron.
Nagaoka MP11 Boron.
Denon 110
Wooden body AT 95 with upgraded stylus.
Shure 75
And a Old Ortofon on a Bushmills Rega.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #56,631 of 65,649
I do prefer the L cushion on the RS1e but did find the flat an interesting listen also. I found similar results with my PS500e.

The single most important thing that will improve comfort and performance is to adjust the clamping force by gently bending the headband. Often just a little lessening of the pressure to your ears will make a very big difference. I have many headphones and my Grados are actually among the most comfortable. That includes my PS2000e which is somewhat heavy due to the metal cups. I can listen to them without any fatigue or issue but no slam dancing.
The housing on your Hemp looks very different to mine. Yours are much rounder at the edge, whilst mine have a sharper corner. Am missing something?

Here's a shot of mine:
20220924_104901.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #56,632 of 65,649
I don’t recall mine having a pronounced edge like yours either. I’m away on holiday at the moment and this is the only pic I could find. Kinda hard to tell.

IMG_4314.jpeg

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #56,634 of 65,649
There are those that acquire it early.
There are those that acquire it late.
There are those that never acquire it at all.

Put simply Grado’s don’t cost $4000+ and require gigawatts of power to run.

Grado’s aren’t for the Willy waving crowd.

Plus side.
Grado’s still sound fantastic.
Grado’s are light weight.

Down side.
I bet every headphone at Canjam had detachable cables.
Apart from some estats.
Almost shakespearean that post 🤣

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #56,636 of 65,649
Not yet. They arrived today and I will be posting thoughts in the next few days. Just was hoping for clarification on if the gs3000e also had a metal bottom side cup. From what I can find online, it did not.
Congrats and enjoy. Looking forward to your impressions. I'm interested in hearing the 3Kx myself, and if I'm that impressed with it my goal would be to sell off my PS1K-GH1 and GH2 and only own the 3Kx and 325is (not including my GR10e for desktop use). I didn't realize you just received them. Most of the time this thread is so repetitive that if I don't follow it every day, I don't bother reading posts I've missed. Apologies for not answering your question about the 3Ke, but as already mentioned, they do not have an aluminum alloy sleeve.

Sep 24, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #56,637 of 65,649
Congrats and enjoy. Looking forward to your impressions. I'm interested in hearing the 3Kx myself, and if I'm that impressed with it my goal would be to sell off my PS1K-GH1 and GH2 and only own the 3Kx and 325is (not including my GR10e for desktop use). I didn't realize you just received them. Most of the time this thread is so repetitive that if I don't follow it every day, I don't bother reading posts I've missed. Apologies for not answering your question about the 3Ke, but as already mentioned, they do not have an aluminum alloy sleeve.
Keep your GH1....

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #56,638 of 65,649
I'd be the first to be saying this (and have in the past) and totally agree with you, but the thing is, I rarely listen to them even though they're outstanding headphones. I own both, the Utopia and HE1Kv2 for 4+yrs now and these are my most favorable headphones to listen to 99% of the time. With that being said, I'm hoping the 3Kx will f fulfill my need for all 3 Grados I mentioned selling to narrow down my headphones. If not, then I will be keeping the GH1 & GH2...not too sure about the PS1K, though, as it is F/S at this moment.

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #56,639 of 65,649
I don’t recall mine having a pronounced edge like yours either. I’m away on holiday at the moment and this is the only pic I could find. Kinda hard to tell.

IMG_4314.jpeg
What pads are on the GH2 and how do they sound ?

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #56,640 of 65,649
Enjoy them!
They will get even better, I just experienced this with my RS1e again.
Interesting. I’ve got only limited grado experience (an early pair of SR60 which I left on the LIRR when I was still commuting, and a pair of the original RS2), both in the neighborhood of 20 years ago, before I thought of headphones as anything more than an accessory and I ran them off a Creek OBH-11 and a portable CD player. At the time I decided I preferred my Sennheiser HD580 (still in service, along with 600 and 650, all somewhat modified). I’m also currently having a little love affair with my 2021 rev. LCD-X running off an old Burson Soloist SL mk. II of my main stereo system. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the new lighter, more agile LCD-X to the more bass-centric older models. I also have a pair of DCA Open X that mostly live on the desk in my home office.

Anyway, ever curious, because this is a hobby after all, I’m presently itching to do something, and I’ve been looking seriously at a used but excellent condition pair of RS-1e, but reading through this thread, they seem to have a mixed reputation. Assuming the price is right, is the RS-1e a good place to start experimenting with Grados or, should I not waste my time and money? Would a pair of hemps (if they could be found) be more well rounded? Additionally, I have read as much of this 3800 page thread as I could stand, and I’m completely confused about the multitude of pads that are available for Grados and how they affect the experience. So, I’m asking you grado heads - what’s a good place to start for a near 63 year old, very experienced audiophile, who is nevertheless a Grado newbie. I crave dynamics (the one area the Senns can fall short) and I want the fabled Grado slam and clarity, but I surely won’t be happy if the treble makes my ears bleed. Looking for something for the main system stem for serious listening, so versatility is important to me. If your advice is to stick with sennheiser and Audeze, so be it, but I am very Grado-curious. All considered opinions welcome. Thanking you all in advance. If this is the wrong place for this post, then mods please move it where it belongs.

Enjoy!

Neil

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back