Grado Fan Club!
Aug 16, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #55,727 of 65,686
If you have to do it at all. You do excellent work but personally I would rather not change the parts on a discontinued or vintage headphone...unless something has broken. No one is chopping anything off my GH1!!!
It's something that stems from my childhood taking things apart and rebuilding them, I was given a electronics kit and soldering iron when I was 8 ( those were the days when PC and health and safety didn't really exist and cars didn't even have eletric windows or steering ) and you could take most things to pieces. I remember a field engineer coming to our house and fix the television with his kit and I was fascinated and hooked. These days everything is throw away and your expected to upgrade most electronics every 3 years, generally as the parts become obsolete or the manufacturer doesn't support it. I agree if your happy with the build and look then yeah keep it as stock because once you start it becomes addictive.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #55,728 of 65,686
Geekrias ‘Donuts‘?
Those geekrias are pretty good, I've bought the full range to roll with, the ones that are for the 500's ( look like mini bowls ) have a slight deeper inside and fit the ears better and sound better than the stock ones to me. Not to mention the cost is a hell of a lot cheaper than the official ones. They cost £100 in the UK, there's no way I'd pay that for a bit of foam, blatant theft that is 😡

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #55,729 of 65,686
It's something that stems from my childhood taking things apart and rebuilding them, I was given a electronics kit and soldering iron when I was 8 ( those were the days when PC and health and safety didn't really exist and cars didn't even have eletric windows or steering ) and you could take most things to pieces. I remember a field engineer coming to our house and fix the television with his kit and I was fascinated and hooked. These days everything is throw away and your expected to upgrade most electronics every 3 years, generally as the parts become obsolete or the manufacturer doesn't support it. I agree if your happy with the build and look then yeah keep it as stock because once you start it becomes addictive.
It's this sort of thing that gets you interested in the workings of life 🤣
I had the chemistry set, most things in there would kill you, but we had common sense in those days so didn't eat the contents and washed our hands before having food 🤣.
And what kid doesn't want to play with uranium?
Screenshot_20220816-071620_Google.jpgScreenshot_20220816-071446_Chrome.jpg

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #55,730 of 65,686
I'm a Grado owner (again) - had a few pairs, always sell them, always buy another, I can't keep away from them.

Already fitted genuine L-Cush pads - next up will be a recable and change the grill to some fine metal mesh of some sort.

That's about all I have in store for now, maybe a new headband cushion in the future.

PXL_20220816_083646257.jpg

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #55,733 of 65,686
I'm a Grado owner (again) - had a few pairs, always sell them, always buy another, I can't keep away from them.

Already fitted genuine L-Cush pads - next up will be a recable and change the grill to some fine metal mesh of some sort.

That's about all I have in store for now, maybe a new headband cushion in the future.

PXL_20220816_083646257.jpg
That's what I like to hear 👍

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #55,734 of 65,686
Cups warmed up at 80°c glue on edge of driver cup softens so you can peel most off. It's the same glue as on the 500's which I tested to find the melt point and there isn't one, goes a bit soft like old chewing gum and then burns up, so 80°c is all you need max. Picked off all the glue around the top and then just put back in at 80 for another 5 mins, then carefully used a scalpel with the very tip edge nipped off and worked around the glue in the gap between driver and wood, some more glue was pulled out some I just lifted up with the scalpel, then the driver just came loose and I lifted it out, probably the easiest out of the others I've done. Cleaned up the old glue on the woods ( not a lot thankfully this time ) and also edge of driver, pushed the 3.5 plug into the cup hole with a bit of a twist and it went straight in 👍. Then the usual clipping and tinning the wires soldering to the female socket and the added a bit of epoxy glue over the terminations just to give the connection strength for when I put back in the woods and adjust.
More later ......20220816_132044.jpg

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #55,735 of 65,686
It's this sort of thing that gets you interested in the workings of life 🤣
I had the chemistry set, most things in there would kill you, but we had common sense in those days so didn't eat the contents and washed our hands before having food 🤣.
And what kid doesn't want to play with uranium?
Screenshot_20220816-071620_Google.jpgScreenshot_20220816-071446_Chrome.jpg
I like the descriptor “Safe!” 🤣🤣🤣

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #55,736 of 65,686
I like the descriptor “Safe!” 🤣🤣🤣
Exciting! Safe ! Yeah that's uranium all right, it did come with a geiger counter though so you could see exactly who in the family you had contaminated and hazzard a guess on life expectancy 🤣
The Xbox and playstation pale in comparison for sheer adrenaline rush action 👍

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #55,737 of 65,686
Deleted post

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #55,738 of 65,686
Cups warmed up at 80°c glue on edge of driver cup softens so you can peel most off. It's the same glue as on the 500's which I tested to find the melt point and there isn't one, goes a bit soft like old chewing gum and then burns up, so 80°c is all you need max. Picked off all the glue around the top and then just put back in at 80 for another 5 mins, then carefully used a scalpel with the very tip edge nipped off and worked around the glue in the gap between driver and wood, some more glue was pulled out some I just lifted up with the scalpel, then the driver just came loose and I lifted it out, probably the easiest out of the others I've done. Cleaned up the old glue on the woods ( not a lot thankfully this time ) and also edge of driver, pushed the 3.5 plug into the cup hole with a bit of a twist and it went straight in 👍. Then the usual clipping and tinning the wires soldering to the female socket and the added a bit of epoxy glue over the terminations just to give the connection strength for when I put back in the woods and adjust.
More later ......20220816_132044.jpg
I am assuming this one was a lot easier because you did not have to mess with 2 layers..?

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #55,739 of 65,686
I am assuming this one was a lot easier because you did not have to mess with 2 layers..?
Yeah I've watched the way custom cans did a set and they pushed the grills in and then warmed up the front and push it out from the back, but i didn't want to apply pressure to the back of the driver if I didn't need to, the only glue is just inside the lip of the wood where the driver sits and a bit to fill the gap, once I'd removed this the driver had movement and I could lift it out, probably took me half hour to do both cups, drivers now back in place and sealed in, just need a bit of a tidy up and add a touch of seal around the front of the sockets and ready to put back together.
20220816_175752.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back