Grado Fan Club!
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #55,111 of 65,633
OK - got my 9V batteries in, plugged to a Schiit Modi MB as DAC, and let it roll...
First impression: NO VOLUME RANGE AT ALL.
What I mean by that: the RA-1 goes from almost silent (it is never totally silent even at minimum volume) to WAY TOO LOUD very VERY fast!!!!
If minimum volume is at 7 o'clock position, then 8 o'clock is already too damn loud!!!
That is with the 325x, BTW.

RA-1 owners: am I missing something?! Did Grado build the RA-1 for MUCH harder to driver headphones?! Does not make sense to me... :confused:
That disappointing. I've seen references to a high gain (HG) RA-1, but don't know if there was a battery-powered version.

Funny...
I was in the market for one of these and thought about making an offer on the that sold on eBay recently. I've learned through several regrettable purchases that many headphone amps are simply too powerful for Grado (Prestige, in my case) headphones. With my hearing damage, I need to be able to listen to music at comfortable volumes without having to 'ride the gain' constantly. I assumed, apparently incorrectly, the RA-1 would be a good match since it was presumably designed with Grado (though perhaps not my) headphones in mind.

I hope that Zachik can sort out their RA-1.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #55,112 of 65,633
Your comments, majo123, on Hemp and PS500e are 🎯 !!
Thank you...
,,,@Damien Grief you could always sell your ps500e lol ...I'm sure there are a few that would bite your arm off ! dangerous-great-white-shark-4768898.jpg

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #55,113 of 65,633
This year no new Grado headphones or new amp...
X series are new no? I see your point. I think they are working on changing all models to the new X and (ugh) cable. When the Hemp eventually goes away, should be time imo, there should be another 'limited' release.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #55,114 of 65,633
So after getting the Vali 2 modded and up and running with some 6SN7 tubes to use with the grados I was going to shelve the Helot 2 amp but it just works so well with the tube combination I have and the 325x's I just couldn't part with it. So time to strip down and rebuild it, swapped out a few caps and replaced the stock Alps pot with a velvet pot and removed all the ott railings and added a new black dial.
20220706_055621.jpg
Before ....
20220724_171243.jpg
After 👍

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #55,115 of 65,633
So after getting the Vali 2 modded and up and running with some 6SN7 tubes to use with the grados I was going to shelve the Helot 2 amp but it just works so well with the tube combination I have and the 325x's I just couldn't part with it. So time to strip down and rebuild it, swapped out a few caps and replaced the stock Alps pot with a velvet pot and removed all the ott railings and added a new black dial.
20220706_055621.jpg
Before ....
20220724_171243.jpg
After 👍
Very nice looks better without the rail....how would you say it compares to the Vali 2 with the 325x?

Jul 24, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #55,116 of 65,633
Very nice looks better without the rail....how would you say it compares to the Vali 2 with the 325x?
To be fair I find it pairs a bit better than the Vali 2, the Vali 2 has a lot of power, even on low gain 10 o'clock is the max i can turn it to for comfortable listening. I think I'm going to go back inside the Vali and play with the gain, although the herlot is a pure tube amp so that might be a bonus with grados. I haven't forgot about the grado project neither I've got some blank PCBs on order and looking for a nice looking cigar case to install it in. Once I've built it up I'm looking for someone in the UK that has a grado amp to do some A/B testing for me.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #55,117 of 65,633
That disappointing. I've seen references to a high gain (HG) RA-1, but don't know if there was a battery-powered version.
Tell me about it - I am very disappointed by the RA-1 :frowning2:
Honestly, with the 325x it is not usable! I never heard of the HG version, and wonder whether the RA-1 that I got might be the high-gain version? :thinking:
Also, wondering if I could lower the gain by replacing resistor(s)... anybody knows??
@ledzep - I know you've been researching this circuit to build your own. Any thoughts on lowering the gain?

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #55,118 of 65,633
Tell me about it - I am very disappointed by the RA-1 :frowning2:
Honestly, with the 325x it is not usable! I never heard of the HG version, and wonder whether the RA-1 that I got might be the high-gain version? :thinking:
Also, wondering if I could lower the gain by replacing resistor(s)... anybody knows??
@ledzep - I know you've been researching this circuit to build your own. Any thoughts on lowering the gain?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...A_1_HG_RA1_Reference_Headphone_Amplifier.html

https://en.audiofanzine.com/misc-hifi-product/grado/igrado/

I've seen it in a few other places as well, but the descriptions I've read don't mention a battery-powered HG. You could ask Grado or 4ourears. I've found they're pretty receptive to questions.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #55,119 of 65,633
You could ask Grado or 4ourears. I've found they're pretty receptive to questions.
I will try that...

In the meantime, can someone here help out with:
1. How can I tell whether MY specific RA-1 is HG or not?
2. Can the gain be lowered with replacing some resistors inside?

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #55,120 of 65,633
Hemp lover here. I used to have an OG RS1 and SR325 as well as currently have a SR225e, which I only listen to on occasion. I think what draws me to the hemp is the extra fun factor from the bit of extra bass and the treble being rolled off ever so slightly (could be the F-pads, but L-pads on the hemp for me sound horrible...way worse than than the SR225e with the same pads..tuning perhaps). Owning the previous Grados, I do sense a missing detail every now and then, but it's not a showstopper. From reviews of the RS1x, I get the impression that the treble is also not quite as harsh as other RS1's before it. I guess my question is, is it worth it to even see if the RS1x is somehow a best of both worlds? I don't mind getting it and either selling the hemp or returning the RS1x...just wondering if it's even worth it to start that journey. Does anyone own both?

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #55,121 of 65,633
I will try that...

1. Serial # inquiry to Grado Labs?

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #55,122 of 65,633
I will try that...

Quite the inverse experience you seem to be having to @jonathan c

I may have to flip a coin ... possibly save $400 + time hunting this rare bird down :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :upside_down:

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #55,123 of 65,633
RS-1x, hands down ears up!!🤣

I kind of assume as much given that the RS1x is quite a bit more expensive. But I think it will be interesting to do a comparison at some point. I don't give the 500e enough love these days.

Thank you...
,,,@Damien Grief you could always sell your ps500e lol ...I'm sure there are a few that would bite your arm off !dangerous-great-white-shark-4768898.jpg

Nah. I like my collection. Just need to get better at going back to older headphones in my collection after buying new ones. lol

Hemp lover here. I used to have an OG RS1 and SR325 as well as currently have a SR225e, which I only listen to on occasion. I think what draws me to the hemp is the extra fun factor from the bit of extra bass and the treble being rolled off ever so slightly (could be the F-pads, but L-pads on the hemp for me sound horrible...way worse than than the SR225e with the same pads..tuning perhaps). Owning the previous Grados, I do sense a missing detail every now and then, but it's not a showstopper. From reviews of the RS1x, I get the impression that the treble is also not quite as harsh as other RS1's before it. I guess my question is, is it worth it to even see if the RS1x is somehow a best of both worlds? I don't mind getting it and either selling the hemp or returning the RS1x...just wondering if it's even worth it to start that journey. Does anyone own both?

I haven't heard the older RS1's so I can't compare, but the RS1x are great headphones and a nice compliment to the Hemps. The RS1x are not as forgiving and smooth as the Hemps but it makes up for that with incredible detail. It's also lacking the Hemp's extra sub bass but puts more emphasis on other parts of the mix. I especially love how guitar strings sound on these headphones.

The Hemp are great for everyday listening and the RS1x is great for getting the most detail out of a great recording.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #55,125 of 65,633
I haven't heard the older RS1's so I can't compare, but the RS1x are great headphones and a nice compliment to the Hemps. The RS1x are not as forgiving and smooth as the Hemps but it makes up for that with incredible detail. It's also lacking the Hemp's extra sub bass but puts more emphasis on other parts of the mix. I especially love how guitar strings sound on these headphones.

The Hemp are great for everyday listening and the RS1x is great for getting the most detail out of a great recording.
Thanks for your insight. It's kind of what I was already thinking. I don't really want to focus on every detail, so I'll give this some further consideration. If I end up getting the RS1x out of curiosity, I'll post my thoughts as well. Again, thanks for your thoughts...extremely helpful!

IMO the hemp is a special headphone for those who just need the edge taken off a bit. Still a Grado for sure. The hipdac2 is a great combo I've been using with it. The bass boost is too much for that headphone, so I am wondering if that boost with RS1x might be the perfect storm. We'll see I guess if I get itchy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back