Grado Fan Club!
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #54,602 of 66,261
I turned it on, waited until the tubes started glowing, and heard the relay click in. Time for a listen.

For the heck of it, I started with the Grado Hemp, a headphone I know well.

And…

Holy schiit…
Jason Stoddard used a Grade Hemp for testing the new 10 tubes headphone amp Folkvangr.

Somebody here did buy it? I'm really tempted to try it out..

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #54,604 of 66,261
@majo123
Further to our conversation on the drivers for the wood cup mod ( your suggestions 80x ) what do you think the 325x drivers will bring instead of the 80x's.
Ie similar to the alu' 325's or different ?
Different ...325x drivers are better in many ways, punchy bass, better depth, better staging more refined treble and just a more refined sound, IMO it's noticeable and easily hear which is the better driver .... but the 80x are honestly great little cans and even though I personally believe 325x to be superior and I would most definitely recommend them over the 80x in most ways the 80x being not so punchy are maybe at times a more relaxed listen and less in your face which I think at times is there tick above....I can honestly say I think 80x like 325x are in there own way just as good , you will definitely get a more higher end sound from 325x but the 80x are no slouch , extremely light and more comfortable than 325x ...It wouldn't surprise me if some prefer the 80 X because of less in your face sound and comfort

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #54,605 of 66,261
Hello fellow Grado enthusiasts. Any recommendations if I want to upgrade from HF2?
They are my daily drivers, but in a recent side by side comparison with my Alessendro Ms1i, I had to admit I enjoyed the latter more.
Indeed, in terms of technicality, the HF2 is superior, however :
-Vocals are a bit pushed back, with some instruments being more forward. Wished vocals would be more prominent.
-Its a bit too crowded, or should I say boomy? Not sure if its the emphasis on the bass that causes this.
- The Ms1, is more airy and not as congested, resulting in a more non-fatiguing experience. Overall I prefer the balance the Ms1 offers. The HF2 has a more harder, rigid sound if that makes sense.
- A bit heavy, sometimes the comfort really matters.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #54,606 of 66,261
@majo123
Further to our conversation on the drivers for the wood cup mod ( your suggestions 80x ) what do you think the 325x drivers will bring instead of the 80x's.
If you do mod an 80X don't change the headband.... it's brilliant very comfortable.
If you want a more high end sound do a 325x mod but the 80 X are very good and at the price worth a punt ..
Others or yourself may disagree , I feel a lot of differences with grado are more about refinement as you step up , yes the sigs do change but it's like the openess, clarity and even the Seperation are similar all though again it mostly gets better as you go up the chain .

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #54,607 of 66,261
@majo123
If you go to your local richer sounds, you can audition, 80x and 225x and 325x ...325x will stand out but the other 2 are very good.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #54,608 of 66,261
Jul 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #54,609 of 66,261
Hello fellow Grado enthusiasts. Any recommendations if I want to upgrade from HF2?
They are my daily drivers, but in a recent side by side comparison with my Alessendro Ms1i, I had to admit I enjoyed the latter more.
Indeed, in terms of technicality, the HF2 is superior, however :
-Vocals are a bit pushed back, with some instruments being more forward. Wished vocals would be more prominent.
-Its a bit too crowded, or should I say boomy? Not sure if its the emphasis on the bass that causes this.
- The Ms1, is more airy and not as congested, resulting in a more non-fatiguing experience. Overall I prefer the balance the Ms1 offers. The HF2 has a more harder, rigid sound if that makes sense.
- A bit heavy, sometimes the comfort really matters.
I owned the HF2 and MS1 at the same time and preferred the MS1.
Today I still use the HF3 and enjoy them.
Currently waiting for some GS3000e cups from earphones diy which shall receive some old MS1 drivers.

I started looking at modding Grados again after Ledzeps build.
I blame him 😂 .
If I remember rightfully the MS1 used a Grado SR225 driver.
You could mod your MS1 with wooden cups?
Try looking at Turbulent Labs
Or earphone diy labs.

Shall run the GS3000e build with a mmcx detachable cables.

I will post pictures when I receive the cups.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #54,611 of 66,261
Decided to put the 80x on after posting about them...
Astonishingly good and really nice cans, well worth it imo.
20220706_200141.JPG
I love these simply because they sound so good at so little cost and definitely a keeper and the cable isn't as thick as the 325x.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #54,613 of 66,261
Jul 6, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #54,615 of 66,261
@majo123
I do not think the SRX series drivers vary too much... Does anyone have proof the drivers vary much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back