Grado Fan Club!
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #50,701 of 65,642
I am worried about too much power! LOL The Vali 2 is like 2.5mW into 32 ohms and the Lyr 3 is 6mW.
I have a PSvane 6SN7-UK, with adapter in my Vali 2, and it's a wonderful tube.
I’ll second this tube! Takes a while to break in but once it does, it’s fantastic! I also like the jan ge 5670w in it $20 including the adapter!

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #50,702 of 65,642
That in my opinion would not be a point of worry or concern as long as you only adjust volume while you are listening to them. If you were to overpower them they would tell you ahead of any damage by distorting the sound if you were to go to play too loud. Distortion should never be ignored and I am sure most of you already I have versions of both and there is absolutely no problem.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #50,703 of 65,642
Yeah, I've done quite a bit of bending. They're definitely looser than when I first got the headphones, but still uncomfortable unfortunately. I'll stick it out with them and hopefully they get better or my ears get tougher (whichever comes first, lol.)
The shipibo gimbals help to change the angle of the cups so they don’t press too hard on top of your ear. But you can also try a more aggressive bending of the headband to make them comfortable.

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #50,704 of 65,642
Scored pretty good today! I got these, only worn twice, Alessandro MS1 with an immaculate box. They look awesome, sound is well similar to my RS2i but the RS2i is better in every aspect, as expected. Mabye actually the low end is a bit more pronounced with the MS1. Still think it's a nice buy. I have the same box for the RS2i in much worse condition and for the price I paid for the MS1 just the box is already worth it.

Only question is, which version is this, the first I believe?

Attachments

• 20220120_221327.jpg
    20220120_221327.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220120_221228.jpg
    20220120_221228.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220120_221206.jpg
    20220120_221206.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #50,705 of 65,642
Scored pretty good today! I got these, only worn twice, Alessandro MS1 with an immaculate box. They look awesome, sound is well similar to my RS2i but the RS2i is better in every aspect, as expected. Mabye actually the low end is a bit more pronounced with the MS1. Still think it's a nice buy. I have the same box for the RS2i in much worse condition and for the price I paid for the MS1 just the box is already worth it.

Only question is, which version is this, the first I believe?
That's the revised 2009 version. The original version has the flatter/shallower cups.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #50,706 of 65,642
Recently bought the Grado SR225e and I love them!!

I have owned many higher end Grado/Alessandro models before and the SR225e stack up really nicely. Replacing the stock pads with the old Senn HD414 yellows (with cut outs) make them much more comfy and they still sound great.

Gotta love how Grado headphones just make music enjoyable. Even when I’m critical listening I tend to drift into the music.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #50,707 of 65,642
The shipibo gimbals help to change the angle of the cups so they don’t press too hard on top of your ear. But you can also try a more aggressive bending of the headband to make them comfortable.

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Honestly, I might just end up downgrading to the 225x as the earcups are much lighter. I tried the flats on my old MS1s and they're not nearly as uncomfortable as the 325x. Gonna miss that metal though.... :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #50,708 of 65,642
Agree.
Tell us more about tubes :wink:

This year I gonna try out som new DAC\AMP`s

So far I like my tr-amp best with Grado. More detailes, forward, and most engaging.
The schiit also sound good with Grado, but darker,less details and more relaxed.

what to try next?

iFi with Burr Brown?
Topping? A30. and Topping dac? or maybe the dx3 pro+
More Earmen?(the new blue)
Or something from schiit with OP amp?(OP amp= more forward\cleaner sound?) And a better schiit DAC?
(miss my Schiit Hel 2)
Hey now!

It's all subjective, but I didn't care for ANY Topping Amps or Dacs. Clean, powerful, lacking the "life force" and energy that I'm looking for. YMMV :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #50,709 of 65,642
I had a similar experience with the hemp, the hemp needed a somewhat linear sounding dac/amp to shine. Otherwise, it sounds congested, dark, and lacking life. Schiit Asgard 3(with the modius) and the new topping dx3 pro+ are options that worked well for me. I didn't like them with sources like the ifi zen and the darkvoice.
I have the Modius and I have it connected to an Asgard 3 (single ended) and Drop THX789 (balanced).

Only a few headphones seem to sound better on the THX789... most of my headphones (including Grados) like the Asgard 3 better.

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #50,710 of 65,642
Picked up a pair of 325x a few days ago and am loving them. I'm no stranger to Grado cans and these are actually my second pair of 325s (previous one being the 325is,) but I'm very surprised how much I'm enjoying the sound of the F Pads. Unfortunately, the comfort on them is absolutely killing me. I'm good for about 30 minutes, but they become unbearable after that amount of time. Are there any 3rd party pads similar to the flats that keep as close as possible to the f pad sound but w/ more padding/comfort? I've tried the G cushions and, while they're more comfortable, the highs become way too harsh for my ears. I've also tried the pads from my MS1s but the sound just isn't as good. Maybe I should just go back to the bowls from my old 325s. Honestly, they never really bothered me comfort wise (or not nearly as uncomfortable as the new f pads...) :frowning2:
Trying wearing them lower down on the ears... less pressure.

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #50,711 of 65,642
Just a general note about my experience with the RS1x. I have been listening to it exclusively for 3-4 weeks now. I'm not going to get into the changes in sound here. Instead, I'll just say that the L pads have become very comfortable, and the cable has relaxed significantly and isn't the pain that it was out of the box. Great headphone, great company, and believe it or not, great comfort.

Leo

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #50,713 of 65,642
Recently bought the Grado SR225e and I love them!!

I have owned many higher end Grado/Alessandro models before and the SR225e stack up really nicely. Replacing the stock pads with the old Senn HD414 yellows (with cut outs) make them much more comfy and they still sound great.

Gotta love how Grado headphones just make music enjoyable. Even when I’m critical listening I tend to drift into the music.
225e FTW!
My biggest problem each day is not what clothes to wear or what to have for breakfast. My wife takes care of all that.
But she cannot help with selecting which headphone to bring to the office or use at the homeoffice. But your comment made me take out the 225e. The perfect way to sharpen the mind, be present in the music and end the week in high performance mode. Then after work tonight, the Hemps can let me ease into mellow weekend mode. Have a wonderful day Grado friends.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #50,714 of 65,642
Hey now!

It's all subjective, but I didn't care for ANY Topping Amps or Dacs. Clean, powerful, lacking the "life force" and energy that I'm looking for. YMMV :)
Looking for something similar to the earmen sound. Energy,engaging,fast, forward and detailed. (more like grado)
Only used my tr-amp the last months. Tried my schiit stack for first time this year. It also sounds good. But lack some details and energy.it is warmer.
Everyone talking about the clean and detailed Topping sound.
Maybe Topping isn`t the right choise for me. I also want life force

So what to buy/try next?

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #50,715 of 65,642
As we all like pictures :) sharing these two legends. Very happy that I found both GS1000i and GH1 in the past two months.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1931.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1931.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back