Grado Fan Club!
Aug 29, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #48,481 of 65,622

SR325X use flat pad as default
‚I am not worthy, I am not worthy,…‘ [freely Wayne Campbell]
You are completely right and I was way too tired doing all that single handed on the phone.
SR325x (44mm /38 Ohm (4th generation driver), 8 conductor cable, F-cushion)
{Corrections due to Bob Levi‘s Facebook post:}
2018, April 9th: LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Headphone (50mm, 12 conductor cable, single piece housing (no sleeve) - californian striped oak cup, based on GS2000e, 12 - 14 units were made.)

I am curious to see the diffusor. @Astral Abyss, @clundbe1 and @Nickelodeon: Could you please provide some Photos? Couldn‘t find pics of the ear side.

Special thanks to clundbe, proving that the US border is not the invincibly fortification wall, repelling other countries Grado Fans from purchasing these sometimes excruciating rare gems.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #48,483 of 65,622
Need a little help.
I avoided the GS and PS Grado because the Pads (G Cush) places the driver too far from the ear. I get the detail and soundstage but it just wasn't my need at least for Grados.
I've owned all the RS1 variations both with Flat pads in the vintage RS1 and L Cush in the later RS1.
I love how these pads places the driver so close to the ear and how this makes the vocals, guitar and other instrument so upfront and immediate with all the attack and bite.

Because Grado missed it with the RS1e (to my ears), I have kept the RS1i and had the RS2e and am waiting for the RS1X.

However, I am considering the GS3000e. I know the drivers being further away from ear, it's not going to have the "on ear" sound (of Prestige and Reference models), but I'm wondering if with EQing, especially bumping up the 2Khz on the GS3000e will give me some of that "RS1 like sound" I want.

How are GS3000e in the upper mids and lower treble: Neutral? Recessed? Forward?
How are the bass? I actually don't need or prefer much.

Or should I just wait for the RS1X? My worries or concerns are that the RS1X if they go with the F pads that it would be overly warm and congested because of the lack of treble (and air because of the lack of treble). The option could be to put the L Cush and try them of the RX1X if they come do come with the F pads but being tuned for F pads, the L Cush may also not really work.

I just may have to wait for the RSX to come out in October and purchase the GS3000e and hear for myself.
But your thoughts would also help while I'm waiting. :)

thanks

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #48,484 of 65,622
Need a little help.
I avoided the GS and PS Grado because the Pads (G Cush) places the driver too far from the ear. I get the detail and soundstage but it just wasn't my need at least for Grados.
I've owned all the RS1 variations both with Flat pads in the vintage RS1 and L Cush in the later RS1.
I love how these pads places the driver so close to the ear and how this makes the vocals, guitar and other instrument so upfront and immediate with all the attack and bite.

Because Grado missed it with the RS1e (to my ears), I have kept the RS1i and had the RS2e and am waiting for the RS1X.

However, I am considering the GS3000e. I know the drivers being further away from ear, it's not going to have the "on ear" sound (of Prestige and Reference models), but I'm wondering if with EQing, especially bumping up the 2Khz on the GS3000e will give me some of that "RS1 like sound" I want.

How are GS3000e in the upper mids and lower treble: Neutral? Recessed? Forward?
How are the bass? I actually don't need or prefer much.

Or should I just wait for the RS1X? My worries or concerns are that the RS1X if they go with the F pads that it would be overly warm and congested because of the lack of treble (and air because of the lack of treble). The option could be to put the L Cush and try them of the RX1X if they come do come with the F pads but being tuned for F pads, the L Cush may also not really work.

I just may have to wait for the RSX to come out in October and purchase the GS3000e and hear for myself.
But your thoughts would also help while I'm waiting. :)

thanks
Hi, the Rs1x is coming out in October? Where did you hear this?

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #48,485 of 65,622
Not sure if others have compared the two versions, but the X version (at least for the 225x) is quite a bit different. Flat pads are a compromise in comfort & sound quality. For rock music with good recordings, 225e for me is a better performer. These new versions have quite a bit more mid-bass and the flat pads also reduce the soundstage. I tried the flat pads on the RS2e and I was definitely not a fan.

Some people might prefer the new tunings so YMMV...

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #48,486 of 65,622
I dropped my PS500 and one side has lost all bass. Pushing the cable at just the right angle restores the sounds so probably something is loose that can be fixed. They're already superglued ~3 times and now it's time for dissection...

Is it only the glue on the front that holds the inside. Or how would I go about to open them?

I'm looking for replacement cans but I just like the PS500 too much...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #48,487 of 65,622
I dropped my PS500 and one side has lost all bass. Pushing the cable at just the right angle restores the sounds so probably something is loose that can be fixed. They're already superglued ~3 times and now it's time for dissection...

Is it only the glue on the front that holds the inside. Or how would I go about to open them?

Very intresting…so it has sound only the bass is missing? I had with me a PS2000e which had sound (on both side), but the bass was completly lacking (both sides). I mean total nothing, even with smaller pads. I thought then, that if the driver makes sound then it is what is…but it can be then that they had a similar problem?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #48,488 of 65,622
Need a little help. (Own RS1i/RS2e, disliked RS1e, considering PS2000e/GS3000e)

The 50mm drivers move the midbass hump from 90hz to 150hz, remove the 2khz boost, and have a significant 6khz boost. If you switch out the G pads, you may feel there's less clarity. I EQ out the 150hz and 6khz boosts, and boost 2khz slightly (that's where the magic happens), so my EQ curve looks like a W. The high-end 50mm driver models aren't known for being "lively" so they may let you down. What they provide is better sub-bass extension (just enough so that it's no longer anemic; they still aren't bassy), and a much wider soundstage which helps with complicated passages, and lessens fatigue for extended listening sessions.

You're probably better off trying to find a GH4, which I thought was better than the Hemp/RS2e, or a GS1000i/PS1000 (the last large models with 44mm drivers). If you're still considering the PS2000e/GS3000e, note that the PS2000e's weight (550g) is a dealbreaker for many. The GS3000e (330g) is around the same weight as an HD800S and is way more comfortable.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #48,489 of 65,622
Very intresting…so it has sound only the bass is missing? I had with me a PS2000e which had sound (on both side), but the bass was completly lacking (both sides). I mean total nothing, even with smaller pads. I thought then, that if the driver makes sound then it is what is…but it can be then that they had a similar problem?

It sounds a bit like when you have the plug not connnected properly. Very thin and like the audio is further away than normal. I noticed now the entire driver casing inside the aluminium house is rotateable aswell.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #48,490 of 65,622

I have the PS500 and I really like them too.

Heat the aluminum housing and twist the wooden cups back and forth until the the two parts separate. Of course remove gimbal.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #48,491 of 65,622
I have the PS500 and I really like them too.

Heat the aluminum housing and twist the wooden cups back and forth until the the two parts separate. Of course remove gimbal.
I managed to get the driver out using only my nails. Great build quality :- )
Bad news though. The magnet... driver(?) is out of its socket.

edit: actually i just popped the thing back in and now the bass is back... praying there didn't get dirt or sticky substance caught inside.

Can someone recommend glue for putting the driver in place again?

edit 2: I put som isolation tape around the driver and put it back in... so I can replace the cable after i break them the 5th time.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #48,492 of 65,622
The 50mm drivers move the midbass hump from 90hz to 150hz, remove the 2khz boost, and have a significant 6khz boost. If you switch out the G pads, you may feel there's less clarity. I EQ out the 150hz and 6khz boosts, and boost 2khz slightly (that's where the magic happens), so my EQ curve looks like a W. The high-end 50mm driver models aren't known for being "lively" so they may let you down. What they provide is better sub-bass extension (just enough so that it's no longer anemic; they still aren't bassy), and a much wider soundstage which helps with complicated passages, and lessens fatigue for extended listening sessions.

You're probably better off trying to find a GH4, which I thought was better than the Hemp/RS2e, or a GS1000i/PS1000 (the last large models with 44mm drivers). If you're still considering the PS2000e/GS3000e, note that the PS2000e's weight (550g) is a dealbreaker for many. The GS3000e (330g) is around the same weight as an HD800S and is way more comfortable.
The G Cush (and it's greater driver distance from the ear) tends to move everything (frequencies) up like your saying. Definitely has it's pluses and minuses.
I'll probably have to learn to accept, appreciate and maybe even love the GS3000e for what it does and not demand and hate for what it can't.
At the same time EQ it like your saying so that I can get some of what I have come to love from the RS sound.

Appreciate the help.

My plan is to purchase both the GS3000e and RS1X when it releases. Really crossing fingers that the RS1X fixes what was wrong with the RS1e.
Not expecting the RS1X will be perfect because the X series seems to be a departure or I guess significant progression/evolution from the "i" and "e" series sound especially in the bass.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #48,493 of 65,622
image.jpg

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #48,495 of 65,622
If you're getting the same issue on the same side, I would question your amp's jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back