Grado Fan Club!
Aug 7, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #48,316 of 65,629
Uh… no cake?

Geekria Nr: EJZ-0047-04 , Amazon Europe: B0155XZLUU , (use all) Keywords: Geekria Grado PS1000
Geekria G

Based on the pics… maybe.

Thougth about sketching something to explain mechanically… But it‘s better to try by oneself.
Personally I prefer the L-Cushions looks, but with them and the original G-Cushions both my anti-helixes touch the diffuser, which bugs me after a while. The Geekria Gs move your ear farther away from the diffusers fabric. It changes the sound slightly, but mostly to a bigger stage and many people can‘t even hear it. Of course there are some so sensitive (meant as a talent, not a tic), that they don‘t like it. Others love it. And: These Geekrias are cooler than the originals. Cooler as in temperature.
I am searching for this in an L-Cushion, but even the Geekria Ls aren‘t like this. (Haven‘t tried types 5 and 6 yet)
The Geekria pads that I have are the same diameter (x,y axes) as Grado, but shallower (z axis). Neither of them rub up on any part my ears at all. Not sure if I can be any help beyond that.

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #48,317 of 65,629
Having a great day. Lounging around in the park. Listening to Deranger.
The only way better than with a Grado - live. Street Music/Food Festival.
Ok, every now and than a leery glance up to the clouds.

(uhm, I see… Deranger - Grunge Band from Berlin, Germany. Not the Rap stuff.)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #48,319 of 65,629
Depends on the topology of the tube amp. OTL tube amps typically have a high output impedance: for example, the Bottlehead Crack has an output impedance of 120 ohms. With Grados, the higher output impedance affects the midbass. It becomes more prominent at the cost of some perceived accuracy and distortion. But don't let the naysayers tell you it's "worse" because if you prefer this sound, then good for you!

Capture.PNG

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #48,320 of 65,629
Hello everyone! Ordered gs3000e and very curious how do grado headphones pair with tube amplifiers?
I find all my Grados play very well with a Schiit Valhalla2. I was pleasantly surprised.

Valhalla has a lo-gain output impedance of 3.5 ohms, which is low enough not to be an issue.

Listening this morning to my GH-1 from Bifrost 4490 and Valhalla2 with Raytheon 1-hole 7728's, and the synergy is just outstanding.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #48,322 of 65,629
Hello everyone! Ordered gs3000e and very curious how do grado headphones pair with tube amplifiers?
General consensus is that most grados play really well with tubes as they tend to fill out and oh-so-slightly smooth the Grado house sound.

some of us who’ve been around for a minute do prefer solid state with a few of them like the original PS1000 or GH2. In general though, can’t go wrong with a good paraded or OTC amp like a Mapletree Ear, Woo WA6/SE, ampsandsound, or really any of the Schiit stuff.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #48,323 of 65,629
Well see what UPS man brought me today. they're around 10 years old, but oh' my they sound good, I'd have to say as much as I like my SR325X these are a step up.
I don't like the cable it's a 1/4" thick, I may have to take a chance on moding these cans.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #48,324 of 65,629
So just tested out my Questyle M12 DAC/Amp dongle with my Hemps and I have to say that it's the perfect little combo. So, I've been driving them with my Marantz HD-DAC1 and it's just been a little overkill to be honest. Even at "low gain" I can barely move the volume nob above 9 o'clock before it's unbearably loud. And using them straight out of my MacBook pro is ok, but just not clean enough. So, in walks in the M12 and adds just the perfect amount of power/punch. Highs are super clean without being grating, midrange is flesh out, and bass is nice and punchy. Plus it plays EVERYTHING, from MQA to DSD. Not trying to sell it, just wanted to give you my impressions.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #48,326 of 65,629
Got a pair of Hemps arriving tomorrow hopefully, thank you @RedSnapper69! Have always wanted to try a pair of Grados but needed a touch more bass for a well-rounded sorta sound sig, these seemingly fit the bill.

hahaha oui'd

IMG20210809223129.jpg

Impressions tomorrow!

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #48,329 of 65,629
Omg... Seeing Zeos' hemps like that made me feel sad
Don‘t want to comment on his personal taste, but watched both linked videos. Please - never drill/twist the cable ends together. Especially not with bare hands. The risk in soldering:
Heat has (always) an effect on molecular structure.
The ‘tricks‘ in soldering:
- Use flat tips, not round ones
- Clean the tip after every contact
- Do not overheat, use temperature controlled soldering irons and use the lowest effective temperature for your materials.
- Make the contact duration short as possible
- Move the tip slowly/slightly (forward) with minimum agitation on the contacts. No back an forth!
The movement/rub helps transport the temperature.
- Training before work.
- Don‘t hurry, remind all snipers first lesson: Slowly is precise. Precise is fast.
- Don‘t breath the soldering smoke.

And finally the 2 so called ‘for idiots tips‘:
- Never blow on soldered contacts. Let them smoothly cool down.
- Do not feel ashamed to use books, tape, pegs or whatever construction as 3rd and 4th hand.
(I use a wooden plate with different (cheap) fe-/male connectors screwed/glued to it)

Some guys here know all this and have years of experience, but there of course are others never trained or not even instructed in it.
Ignore me old smartass, but maybe feel inspired to further mods.
As most of us I am curious to see yours presented here. Or in the post your Grado mods thread…
Which connector do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back